Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2013 11:26:13 PM EDT
I was thinking of picking up one of these for a spare. Anyone know if these a top quality? I don't see if they are MP tested. Does anyone know if they are? They look nice and are NIBX coated. Here is a link and any info is appreciated! Many thanks!
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMNiBBCGV2&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=69063e97e5-11082013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-69063e97e5-17841109
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two, one was missing some of the coating on the front face of the bcg. Ive only fired a few rounds to function test as its not in my main rifle and it was fine. Its staked properly and i'm not to concerned with a little coating missing for such a good deal. The other is in a bag in my spares and looks brand new. I was thinking of grabbing a nib version they came out with. Everything else ive got from AIM has been gtg, so I have confidence in their bcgs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
That's enough for me to not worry about them being substandard quality.
Quoted:

I will back them up if there is ever a problem.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_217/238360_Who_makes_the_AR15_M16__223_5_56_Bolt_Carrier_Group.html&page=1

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
They don't use Carpenter 158.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That kills it for Me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no issue using 9130 over C158.  I won't use 8620.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
so, its not like its 8620

has there been any objective data saying 9130 is worse???

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Can some one explain what all the different numbers are and which are the better product? Also is carpenter a brand? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Can some one explain what all the different numbers are and which are the better product? Also is carpenter a brand? Thanks!
View Quote
Carpenter 158 is a brand name for steel, its expensive and only sold in large lots, hence why only big companies can buy it

9130- is basically the same typemof steel-some say better-no brand name. Pissing contest happen all the time as to if its better or not.

8620 is shit for a bolt, hence all the blown up ARs bolts purchased in the panic this year, Its easier to machine-probably why so much of then ended up on the market this year.

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Carpenter 158 is a brand name for steel, its expensive and only sold in large lots, hence why only big companies can buy it

9130- is basically the same typemof steel-some say better-no brand name. Pissing contest happen all the time as to if its better or not.

8620 is shit for a bolt, hence all the blown up ARs bolts purchased in the panic this year, Its easier to machine-probably why so much of then ended up on the market this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, correct me if I am wrong but the 9130 bolts are dependent upon their tempering in order for it to be stronger/longer lasting than C-158....
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep, correct me if I am wrong but the 9130 bolts are dependent upon their tempering in order for it to be stronger/longer lasting than C-158....
View Quote
yes but im not assuming defects as a common rule for comparison

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two. one unused, one has 50 rounds through the upper its in.
The gas key on the 50 rd one is loose. I have to call aim Monday and see what the solution is.
Aim has a good rep so I'm not worried but its irritating as I planned on shooting the new SBR upper today.

top two are AIM bolts, unsure of maker on other but was shocked when gas key on center bolt came loose till I got out a magnifying glass and saw no bite on screws even though it looked properly staked till I started firing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Why didn't you tighten it down yourself?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why didn't you tighten it down yourself?
View Quote

Yep. Tighten and stake. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
That's what I'm trying to decide now. I'm thinking about pulling it and checking the holes to make sure there's no damage and torqueing it down.
Edit: Just torqued it down, now I need to find the pic of proper staking and get off my rear and go to the vice.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

C158 is milspec for the bolt, and expensive. 8620 is milspec for the bolt carrier and cheap.

When buying store brand BCG they may differ from the milspec significantly.  For example my AIM 9310 BCG has a 9310 bolt instead of C158 and the extractor & gas key are injection molded parts. Not sure how a injection molded extractor is gonna work/last. time will tell i guess.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the AIM carrier is 8620 so does that mean it is shit? Why don't they just make it out of the good carpenter 158 steel?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That kills it for Me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kills it for Me.

Logo kills it for me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Logo kills it for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kills it for Me.

Logo kills it for me.

They're talking about Aim, not Spike's.

...But either way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So the AIM carrier is 8620 so does that mean it is shit? Why don't they just make it out of the good carpenter 158 steel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One word, money. It's always been about the greenbacks.....

Carpenter is a great metal, just expensive. 8620 is a cheaper option......
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#22]
8620 is the common material for the carrier. The bolt is what is important, and should be either c158 or 9310
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Colt carriers are 8620.  So are Noveske, Daniel Defense, PSA, Spikes, BCM, Windham, Stag, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#24]
The mil-spec calls for 8620 carriers.

There is some dispute about the suitability of 9310 for the bolt.  Some say it is actually better than C158 as long as it is properly heat treated.  There are numerous threads about this.  Who knows what the truth is.  Nobody who uses 9310 bolts seems to be complaining.  Carpenter makes both steels.

Those looks like great BCGs.  One BCG I got from AIM (the one they sell without the nickel coating) had a MIM or cast gas key and extractor, but these are both machined billet on this NiB BCG.  Being a high speed sponge bob watching printer repairman type, I had to put that bolt with the cast parts in one of my hobby guns.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

8620 is shit for a bolt,

I guess reading is not your forte

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#26]
BCM states : Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel

PSA premium: also states: Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt

??
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

??
View Quote

Yes. Carpenter 158 is mil-spec; 9310 is not.

8620 is mil-spec for the carrier.

The End.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The End.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

The End.

Mil-spec is a minimum standard.  9310 if properly prepped exceeds mil-spec.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

??

The End.

Quoted:

Pissing contest happen all the time as to if its better or not.

hm I should get a show or something

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8620 is shit for a bolt,

Well people are calling 8620 a shit material and not to buy 8620 so even if the carrier is made of it, it makes it sound as if it is made of sub par material.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Well people are calling 8620 a shit material and not to buy 8620 so even if the carrier is made of it, it makes it sound as if it is made of sub par material
View Quote

Nearly every carrier is 8620, at least the good ones.  It is just shit for bolt material.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Haven't I read this thread before somewhere???

Oh yeah, right here.  Like every two weeks for the past year.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well people are calling 8620 a shit material and not to buy 8620 so even if the carrier is made of it, it makes it sound as if it is made of sub par material.
View Quote

You're missing the key part of that claim.

A Ferrari is shit in the Baja, and a Ford Raptor is shit at Willow Springs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#34]
9310 is not better than C158 I'm a material science engineer who has talked extensively with engineers at a few firearms companies about possible employment and I asked about this and they all say that C158 is the best alloy at its cost for the job and any possible superalloy that could be better would be wickedly expensive. KAC has proven with the E3 bolt that no better alloy is needed, provided that the shape of the bolt and barrel extension is changed to reduce the stress areas cause by the 90 degree angles in the milspec drawing. Either way, 9310 will work perfectly fine for thousands of rounds. If you're super paranoid about 9310 cause it's not milspec, have your bolt MPIed every thousand rounds and replace it when it fails the MPI the first time (it will keep working for thousands of rounds after it fails MPI the first time anyways).
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]
They are MPI tested. I bought one of these BCGs and I got to tell you it has been perfect so far. I have fired 0 rounds with it . But I hope its a good BCG but only time will tell I guess.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
8620 is shit for a bolt,

8620 is NOT a sub par material.   PERIOD.

8620 is good for bolt carriers. It is specifically called for in the military specs.

But 8620 is not good for BOLTS.

Bolts and bolt carriers see very different stresses and loads, and are of very different geometries.  

The thing to remember is that "strength" is misleading when talking about metals. Different steel alloys act in different ways.

Thus 8620 is a great steel, and great for bolt carriers. But it is not good for bolts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a 8620 bolthead floating around in my parts bin, I won't toss it because a 8620 bolthead beats no bolt head in an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Bolt snobs I remember not that long ago when no one even talked about the type of steel they were made of. Everyone just went by brand name and figured if you got Colt, BCM, Stag or RRA, you were GTG. Then Spike's and PSA came out and those were GTG as well.

Just a few short months ago, one could've sold 8620 BCGs all day long for $200 each and no one would've questioned them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just a few short months ago, one could've sold 8620 BCGs all day long for $200 each and no one would've questioned them.
View Quote

thank goodness that's over.

I've got a 55 gallon drum buried in the backyard filled with BCGs now.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

??
View Quote

But PSA also states their bolts have fully machined 8620 extractors. What's the mil-spec for extractors?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bolt snobs I remember not that long ago when no one even talked about the type of steel they were made of. Everyone just went by brand name and figured if you got Colt, BCM, Stag or RRA, you were GTG. Then Spike's and PSA came out and those were GTG as well.

View Quote

False.

Before there were all these idiots panic buying.

And please don't compare Stag or RRA bolts to Colt or BCM.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

False.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False.

Can you please tell me what a Colt or BCM does that a Stag or RRA won't do to make them non-comparable?  

Other than batch checking instead of unit testing and HPT (which some people still debate whether HPT actually weakens the bolt during the test), I am not sure why we can't have a technical discussion comparing two brands if it relates to the materials or processes of the AIM bolt in the OP.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

...But either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kills it for Me.

Logo kills it for me.

...But either way.

I know that.. Aim put their logo on a visible part of the carrier.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Not all AIM bolts have logos. mine dont
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The phosphate/black ones don't. The new nickel boron ones do
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Have only about 350-75rds on mine and friend has maybe a bit less in the high 2's low 3's..not many but the bolt have been as expected.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones linked in this thread are.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Reviving an old thread because i just purchased one from AIM for a spare parts build(i had a bunch of spare parts laying around that could almost build a rifle, so i decided to make it complete with this bolt, charging handle, and stripped upper).  

Aim probably read this thread and updated the description to appease people's concerns.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMNiBBCGV2&name=AIM+NiB+.223%2f5.56+AR%2fM16+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Aim Surplus:
We are proud to announce the release of our V2 Nickel Boron AR/M16 .223/5.56 Bolt Carrier Groups. As always… If it has our name on it, we've got your back for life!*
8620 Tool Seel Enhanced Radius design (Angle Cut) Carrier with inside and out NiB Treatment
9310 Steel MPI Bolt with inside and out NiB Treatment
Billet Machined Extractor with Black Insert and O-Ring upgrade
Billet Machined 4140 Steel Gas Key
Grade 8 Fasteners
Military Specification Gas Key Staking
View Quote

I guess this is their V2 version.  The gas key is machined and not MIM'd.  The bolt is MPI and uses 9310 steel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've got a 55 gallon drum buried in the backyard filled with BCGs now.

View Quote

lol...awesome
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top