User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NationalUXO] [#2]
I'm with those that like the A1/A2 grips.  The only reason that I haven't changed out my last two remaining "aftermarket grips" is because I'm too lazy to re-krylon one and the ergo grip seems to work better on my pistol build.  All of my other rifles wear A1/A2 grips.  

Of the M16A1 and A2 setups overall I vastly prefer the A1/XM177/Gau-5 series of weapon(s).

My experience started with an A2 in training, back-stepped to GAU-5's and GUU-5's for operations, and then later to the M-4 (which at the time I detested).

I'm glad that they have so many aftermarket grips out there for the rest of you though.  That way I get cheap and free grips!

edit: After reading the full thread I think it is most likely the most informative thread I've ever found on arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Coldblue I have another question for you. On the A1 series apertures the bevel/scallop seems to be facing out towards the target with the flush/flat side of the aperture facing the shooter, and opposite on the A2? So... why?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious, coldblue, as to what development lead to the A2 flash hider from the A1?
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-4C:

Here is a report from the US ARMY Research Institute dated February 1986. It does not mention much about why the improvements were made to the pistol grip, other than what has already been mentioned in this post. Analysis of M16A2 Rifle Characteristics and Recommended Improvements
View Quote

That is a damn thorough document.  It should have been required reading at Infantry School.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

That is a damn thorough document.  It should have been required reading at Infantry School.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Originally Posted By AR-4C:
Here is a report from the US ARMY Research Institute dated February 1986. It does not mention much about why the improvements were made to the pistol grip, other than what has already been mentioned in this post. Analysis of M16A2 Rifle Characteristics and Recommended Improvements

desertmoon;

If you like that document, don't leave the dtic site too soon.  

I have STACKS of documents I've printed off that site in the event gubmnt runs out of $$ and shuts it down!  LOL.

I am both a user and a history nut and if you are of the same mind, that site will give you a LOT to chew on.  And not just pertaining to the M16, tho it has gobs of material on that development also, from stem to stern.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Lt. Col. Lutz,

This is by far the most interesting and informative thread I have read in some time. Thank you for your service and for your insight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info, Coldblue.
I for one don't mind the A2 grip, heh. It's not often you get to speak with someone that has as much influence as you've had.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 556NAT0:

That surprises me. IMO the pistol grip is the worst. The A2 fh is extremely outdated, but I could live with it. And the stock, it again something I could live with. But my hands and fingers actually get a little sore shooting with the stock grips. If was told I had to go back to a standard stock, A2 flash hider and an a2 grip but I could change one later on the grip would definitely be there first thing changed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556NAT0:
Originally Posted By GSL:
As a user who went too Basic with an A1, entered active with an A2, A4, then the M4, I'm still failing to see the problem. In 21 years, no one has ever complained about the grip. Now I've been in many units, two MOS's, and had even been sent to talk with DA civy's who asked what we wanted changed and out of a theatre packed, not one cried about the grip. It was always the compensator, the stock on the M4 having a shitty cheek weld, and the magazine.

Now with all that being said, I have four AR's and only one of them has the A2 grip, because I like a variety of what works and ditch what suck's ass.

That surprises me. IMO the pistol grip is the worst. The A2 fh is extremely outdated, but I could live with it. And the stock, it again something I could live with. But my hands and fingers actually get a little sore shooting with the stock grips. If was told I had to go back to a standard stock, A2 flash hider and an a2 grip but I could change one later on the grip would definitely be there first thing changed.

The SCAR sold to SF as the rifle of future yet came with crappy A2 grip
That's why to this day guys buy there own grips before deployment.
Mine a few years back while on deployment:

BTW Yes the 45degree offset red dot mount on my SCAR is bad ass!
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coldblue:

I lucked-out.  Something very similar was installed on a rack of test rifles stored in Picatinny’s bunker.  These were the same rack of weapons where I found the original “4-Position Burst Controls” installed.
The muzzle brakes on those rifles was adjustable for left or right-handed shooters by lifting a stout leaf spring and indexing it is the appropriated marked “L” or “R” notched washed trapped between the muzzle brake and the barrel.  

This design was a little too expensive to copy exactly for my A2 program; and some considered it a “moving part” that could adversely affect reliability; as well as adding two new parts to the assembly.  But the muzzle brake’s positive effect on muzzle rise was demonstrable, as well as its closed bottom reducing position disclosure when firing prone.  Then when Colt introduced me to the Peel Washer, and its ability to adjust to a shooter’s strong side if desired, it became a no cost, no brainer improvement.  It’s just unfortunate that the Services never picked-up on the left or right-handed options that any Armorer could perform.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:
I'm curious, coldblue, as to what development lead to the A2 flash hider from the A1?

I lucked-out.  Something very similar was installed on a rack of test rifles stored in Picatinny’s bunker.  These were the same rack of weapons where I found the original “4-Position Burst Controls” installed.
The muzzle brakes on those rifles was adjustable for left or right-handed shooters by lifting a stout leaf spring and indexing it is the appropriated marked “L” or “R” notched washed trapped between the muzzle brake and the barrel.  

This design was a little too expensive to copy exactly for my A2 program; and some considered it a “moving part” that could adversely affect reliability; as well as adding two new parts to the assembly.  But the muzzle brake’s positive effect on muzzle rise was demonstrable, as well as its closed bottom reducing position disclosure when firing prone.  Then when Colt introduced me to the Peel Washer, and its ability to adjust to a shooter’s strong side if desired, it became a no cost, no brainer improvement.  It’s just unfortunate that the Services never picked-up on the left or right-handed options that any Armorer could perform.

Could you elaborate more on the left or right hand option?  I don't think I quite understand.  Are you saying that the A2 flash hider should be mounted so the slots are not directly upward?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Every M14 I had been issued previously had the parkerization of its rear flat face of its aperture rubbed completely off.  (Seems to my memory they were also finely checkered as well, I assume to “matte” its appearance.)  So when on the requalification range, we had to “smoke” them with carbide lamps to reduce the glare off their worn shinny surface to enhance our sight picture.  I wanted the rear of the A2 to be concave to help prevent such non-reflective finish wear from rubbing or friction with cleaning brushes, etc.  I know it looks backwards to some folk’s but for my intent is worked pretty well.
View Quote

Good to know, you have no idea how refreshing it is to be able to post an obscure question and get the exact factual data from the man himself, you're a service to this site
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Now I know who to thank for the integral brass deflector. Pure genius.

I used an A1 in Basic. I ended up with more than a few hot casings down my collar and sleeves, but the one that lodged itself in my chin strap was truly the "bitch of the bunch".

I received a third degree burn on my cheek. It blistered, and having to wear that chin strap every day in the hot Kentucky sun was not only painful but kept it from healing. It took years for the dark red scar to fade.

Those clip-on A1 brass deflectors were quite possibly the hardest piece of equipment in Army inventory to find. More elusive than a box of grid squares and slicker than a can of squelch. Even after we turned in our A1s for A2s.....I never gave up "my precious".

I still have it.....DON'T YOU BE EYEBALLING MY PRECIOUS!!!

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#17]
LTC Lutz,

You have been amazingly informative in this thread and provided a great deal of history to the rifle development process that's greatly beneficial and I really appreciate it.  

I have a two-fer question if you have the time:

Was there any discussion during the design process for the A2 of getting rid of or modifying the carry handle?  I know during my short period of service (2003-current) and use of the A2 the carry handle was NEVER to be use as such and you rarely see the detachable versions in use nowadays on A4s.  We're carry handles used back then?

Secondly, was any consideration given to possibly making the platform more adaptable to using optics by removal or modification of the carry handle, as using the carry handle mount hole is uncomfortable at best for most uses with either NV, magnified or non-magnified optics.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:
LTC Lutz,

You have been amazingly informative in this thread and provided a great deal of history to the rifle development process that's greatly beneficial and I really appreciate it.  

I have a two-fer question if you have the time:

Was there any discussion during the design process for the A2 of getting rid of or modifying the carry handle?  I know during my short period of service (2003-current) and use of the A2 the carry handle was NEVER to be use as such and you rarely see the detachable versions in use nowadays on A4s.  We're carry handles used back then?

Secondly, was any consideration given to possibly making the platform more adaptable to using optics by removal or modification of the carry handle, as using the carry handle mount hole is uncomfortable at best for most uses with either NV, magnified or non-magnified optics.
View Quote

Not coldblue, but there have been several "attempts" at introducing an accessory rail to the upper receiver before the M4 and M16A4 were standardized - notably the Colt R656 and ACR among others.  The ACR program also saw use of the ACOG and ELCAN C79.  

I'm sure he can comment more on what if any discussion was included insofar as the A2's development process is concerned, which I would be very interested to hear from him.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Colonel,  as a member of the retro forum, I would LOVE to see that sketch. Several members have built 'visionary' rifles that never existed but perhaps should have as fun builds. I like the idea of your A2 DMR and have been actually considering such a build - basically milling the top of the carry handle flat and mounting a Weaver rail similar to early AR10 attempts at the same thing. Thanks again for all the great info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an additional bit, telescopic sight use was envisioned all the way back at the beginning of the AR10 development and that story is told in the Black rifle and elsewhere.  As we all know, these mounts were not optimal for several reasons.

For myself, I never have understood why a carry handle wasn't developed that would remain as a carry handle with low scope mounts developed or mounts integral to the scope tube itself to allow the irons to be left in place.  Windage adjustment could easily then be incorporated into the mount, tho the lack thereof does not seem to be a problem with current setups.

Cheek weld would not necessarily be optimum for current preferences, tho some of us like a heads-up stance.  I have a purposefully high setup for a SAKO .375 H&H Mag of mine that uses the QD EAW mount.  Such a high hold is not only NOT a disadvantage, it is actually an advantage and that can be demonstrated in looking at what Biathlon shooters and other competitors use, cheek-pieces notwithstanding.   The low bore axis adds a little to the equation, but overall I'd have thought alot of the subsequent monkeying and initial cobbling of scope equipped rifles could have very, very easily been eliminated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coldblue] [#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/earlyremovablehandle_zps9e886309.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/earlyremovablehandle_zps9e886309.jpg</a>

Notice the date on this one, and also the absence of the case deflector.  I don't think that was an option at that point in 1981.
View Quote

Fascinating! Thank you for posting!
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Morg, it took awhile to find these, and also jog my memory.
As you can see, the scope/mount is dove tailed from rear to front like my old Sako rifles back then.
The second photo is of the optional carrying handle/M16A2 iron sight base, also showing the dove tail.
I had forgotten about the dovetails this morning.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/earlyscopeconcept_zps814f51a3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/earlyscopeconcept_zps814f51a3.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morg308:
Colonel,  as a member of the retro forum, I would LOVE to see that sketch. Several members have built 'visionary' rifles that never existed but perhaps should have as fun builds. I like the idea of your A2 DMR and have been actually considering such a build - basically milling the top of the carry handle flat and mounting a Weaver rail similar to early AR10 attempts at the same thing. Thanks again for all the great info.

Morg, it took awhile to find these, and also jog my memory.
As you can see, the scope/mount is dove tailed from rear to front like my old Sako rifles back then.
The second photo is of the optional carrying handle/M16A2 iron sight base, also showing the dove tail.
I had forgotten about the dovetails this morning.
<a href="http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/D_A_Lutz/media/earlyscopeconcept_zps814f51a3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/D_A_Lutz/earlyscopeconcept_zps814f51a3.jpg</a>

First, thank you to you and all that have served.

In the first drawing, I love the concept of turning the carry handle into a set of scope mounts. I always found it interesting that the "carry handle" really started life as a "trigger guard" on the prototypes that had a "trigger" bolt handles. It was a natural spot to put the iron sights, but when the "trigger" was moved, it was left in place and called a handle. I've never heard of anyone ever using as such...
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the issued pistol grip and stock. It could just be that I "grew up" using them and got accustomed to them. I've tried others, and it feels weird and the upgraded buttstock usually is heavier. I wanted to like all the cooler looking more expensive Magpul furniture or whatever, but I just don't. It has saved me a little weight and money on my lower builds. That money is better spent on an upgraded trigger IMO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bettercallsaul] [#28]
In fact, Colt had a similar "heartburn" as well, as we brought our designs to the table, like the square front sight post, pistol grip, etc.
At a meeting with them subsequent to our submitting my pistol grip samples, they awarded me this memento:
View Quote

I love the A2 grip, so thanks for designing it. It's not often you're able to thank the designer of the gun you use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#29]
This is a great thread. Thank you coldblue for all you have shared.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#30]
[

When the 0-2 aperture is flipped into firing position, it lowers the sight line accordingly for a more point of aim = point of impact (POA=POI) at closer ranges, i.e., 200 meters.   And as you know, this also equates to the popular 50 meter zero which allows the round’s trajectory to deliver POA=POI across these more common combat engagement ranges.  One just needs to train with the 5mm aperture and gain confident in your shooting ability with it.  I also saw the writing on the wall that smaller peep inserts could easily be made to “snap in” the 5mm for those more comfortable with a smaller peep at close range.  That was another element of “growth potential” I wanted built into the new Service Rifle.
View All Quotes
[

When the 0-2 aperture is flipped into firing position, it lowers the sight line accordingly for a more point of aim = point of impact (POA=POI) at closer ranges, i.e., 200 meters.   And as you know, this also equates to the popular 50 meter zero which allows the round’s trajectory to deliver POA=POI across these more common combat engagement ranges.  One just needs to train with the 5mm aperture and gain confident in your shooting ability with it.  I also saw the writing on the wall that smaller peep inserts could easily be made to “snap in” the 5mm for those more comfortable with a smaller peep at close range.  That was another element of “growth potential” I wanted built into the new Service Rifle.

I am so glad that I elected to read the Discussion group this morning. coldbllue let me first thank you for your service to our country and its fighting men. Next I would ask if this product was one you envisioned as "growth potential".

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/idl/
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you for the great history lesson!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#32]
excellent and informative thread

I'm 6'4" and my big skinny hands always hated the A2 grip.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#33]
When I came across this thread title my first thought was "oh, no...this shit again...," but what great insights.

My own personal musings starting with experience with the M16A2 in 1995 is that the grips on all the weapons were just a place to hang your hand from. Such guns were just starting to become popular and the aftermarket products/companies were in their infancy.

As a little guy (5'6" and ~150lbs) the stock length was perfect for the KD range but too long for flack jacket use. The A2 grip "nub" was perfectly placed for my x-large hands, but the trigger reach was a little short.  The sights were well adapted to most any type of shooting, and the balance of the rifle felt perfect to me. The best thing about the carry handle was my favorite way to carry it on the march:

At the time most accessories mounted to the handguard by some form of flimsy mount...but they worked well enough.

As an 0311 that spent most time as an 0331 the M16A2 was a flyweight and the M16A1 felt like a flimsy toy.  Either way, you make the most of what you get. I racked up a few expert qual scores (most in contention for high shooter). My first experience shooting one was the 25 yard sight in where putting all shots touching was very confidence inspiring.

I still have an A2 as my only AR-15 rifle, and though it wears a collapsible stock, I may just go to an A1 fixed as it just shot smoother with the rifle buffer and the adjustability does nothing for me.

As to the A2 grip, I still have one on the 10/22, but with the nub cut off...for looks alone.

That AR pistol had one as well, but a more vertical grip in a similar size and profile was used.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#34]
I didn't go through all six pages here, so I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but for those of you who haven't had the sorry misfortune to have to handle a weapon with bloody hands, let me tell you - Blood makes everything 50X harder to handle.

While a rubberized grip may be more comfortable to carry when dry, In my experience, they absolutely suck to handle with bloody palms. If for no other reason than blood's slick-ness factor, I can see why the marines wanted a more aggressive back-strap & finger-bump, though if it were me, I would have requested they place the side stippling over the entire surface of the grip...

ETA: So as per a few of the following posters' recommendations, I now have gone through & read all six pages of this thread... Certainly a fascinating (if not entertaining) read. I can't help but stare at that "Colt Award" in indecision as to whether it's a Work of Art, or should be killed with fire.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

I'm building an XM177'ish carbine, and just got in an A1 grip to slap on it. Holy smokes...it's still too small to be "comfortable" compared to a MOE+, but it's world's more comfortable (and seemingly universal) than the A2.
View Quote

Want to get rid of it then?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

I didn't go through all six pages here,

View Quote
do yourself a favor and read through these pages. seriously.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
I didn't go through all six pages here, so I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but for those of you who haven't had the sorry misfortune to have to handle a weapon with bloody hands, let me tell you - Blood makes everything 50X harder to handle.

While a rubberized grip may be more comfortable to carry when dry, In my experience, they absolutely suck to handle with bloody palms. If for no other reason than blood's slick-ness factor, I can see why the marines wanted a more aggressive back-strap & finger-bump, though if it were me, I would have requested they place the side stippling over the entire surface of the grip...
View Quote
If you're into the story of the M16, then you really should read the rest of this. I also agree with you about needing a grip that you can hold onto with blood, sweat, and other messy much that your hands will get into contact with. Sure, there are other options but the A2 grip should never be forsaken just because one think's it looks too plain and tries to make excuses for buying their bleat, bleat, bleat gucci name grip.

It was I that asked for this to be tacted or least never be put in the archives as the information within is a gold mine of the reason's why things were done the way they were.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#39]
coldblue,

on stock length, was any consideration given to wearing body armor and how this would affect length of pull?  I know that the PASGT helmet and flak were being issued at the time the A2 was being developed
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the A2 grip, personally.    Never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I find the A2 finger nub physically painful after more than half an hour or so. My preferred variant is the A1 overall, but I am rather partial to the A2's unparalleled sight setup. As I frequently use plates, the A1 stock represents the best LOP for me without going to a rattletrap adjustable unit.

Coldblue, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with this thread. It is a great read; I love reading about the context and motivation behind engineering decisions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Funny thing is that even the ARX160 first came with an A1 style pistol grip but after a couple of years of field use it has been replaced by The A2 style
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a box of A2 grips.  Only two rifles wear them - my NM rifle and a Mossberg MVP-LC that came with a MOE+ grip that made for too long a reach to the trigger.  I filed off the finger bump on an A2 and stuck it on.  Perfect!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow.

This thread has far exceeded my initial expectations of where it would go.
Thank you so very much LTC Lutz.  Fascinating stuff.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#45]
Originally Posted By Mister-Z:
Wow.

This thread has far exceeded my initial expectations of where it would go.
Thank you so very much LTC Lutz.  Fascinating stuff.
View Quote

I'll echo this, it was a great read as someone interested in the AR platform's history.

FWIW, I'm probably that perfect middle percentile guy, but the A2 grip's nub has never presented a problem for me, gloves or not. In fact, I find it helpful on my 20" HBAR that clocks in near 11 lbs, as well as on my 901 if it's loaded down with something front-heavy like a bipod, as the little nub helps with extra gripping surface if I want to hold my weapon on target one-handed while manipulating something elsewhere on the rifle. That's a lot more difficult to do with a slick grip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
I've never been a fan of the "stock" pistol grips. They've always come off immediately in favor of MIAD's or MOE's. And a quick browse on the EE seems to mimic the same sentiment. (They're like awful stocking stuffers that no one wants)

I'm building an XM177'ish carbine, and just got in an A1 grip to slap on it. Holy smokes...it's still too small to be "comfortable" compared to a MOE+, but it's world's more comfortable (and seemingly universal) than the A2. It's wider, and doesn't have that annoying ridge right where you want to put your middle finger (unless of course you have truck driver/bass player hands).

Other than the stippling, how was the A2 grip considered an "upgrade"?

For that matter, how was that grip (in A1 or A2 configuration) ever considered large enough for American's hands to begin with? Was Eugene Stoner just kind of a dainty man?
View Quote

Small?  Spoken like a man who's never held an AK lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I hate the A1/A2 grips. Too small.  For me Ergo Ambi or Miad with front hump and large backstrap.  Tried DD grip and Larue's grip didn't like either.  I wish Magul made a MOE+ in a larger size.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
Now I know who to thank for the integral brass deflector. Pure genius.

I used an A1 in Basic. I ended up with more than a few hot casings down my collar and sleeves, but the one that lodged itself in my chin strap was truly the "bitch of the bunch".

I received a third degree burn on my cheek. It blistered, and having to wear that chin strap every day in the hot Kentucky sun was not only painful but kept it from healing. It took years for the dark red scar to fade.

Those clip-on A1 brass deflectors were quite possibly the hardest piece of equipment in Army inventory to find. More elusive than a box of grid squares and slicker than a can of squelch. Even after we turned in our A1s for A2s.....I never gave up "my precious".

I still have it.....DON'T YOU BE EYEBALLING MY PRECIOUS!!!

http://i59.tinypic.com/flc182.jpg
View Quote

Ha, I have seen those in the armory and had no idea what they were. I wounder if the gunner mates even know. I never seen them used during range time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DANNY1911:

Ha, I have seen those in the armory and had no idea what they were. I wounder if the gunner mates even know. I never seen them used during range time.
View Quote

The deflectors are great for a lot of people, but not for folks over 6 feet tall.  I wound up with some case-shaped burns (with scars that lasted for a couple years) because the Air Force used case deflectors when I qualified after Basic.  IN Basic they had the dreaded Air Force .22 adapters; between the adapters getting filthy and the rifles themselves "maybe" being cleaned every now and then, those M16s (I don't even think they were A1s) were super Jam-O-Matics.  (And yes, that means I'm older than dirt. )
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread delivers!! Thank LTC Lutz for taking the time to post all of the information.
Page / 10
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top