Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2013 3:59:29 PM EDT
I recently got my hands on a "free" H2 buffer and plan to try it out with my present set-up (16" barrel w/ muzzle brake, carbine length gas tube, and adjustable gas block).  I mainly run either 55g federal/winchester .223 or 5.56.  Do I still need to re-tune the gas block and will there still be further room for improvement if I try the H2 buffer?  Will it be worth it?  Tnx
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Just shoot it.  Shouldn't need to do anything. It might not cycle all Wolf or Tula. Some Wolf and Tula are not as hot as better ammo. Otherwise, just shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They only way to know for sure is to shoot it. Adjust IF necessary.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently got my hands on a "free" H2 buffer and plan to try it out with my present set-up (16" barrel w/ muzzle brake, carbine length gas tube, and adjustable gas block).  I mainly run either 55g federal/winchester .223 or 5.56.  Do I still need to re-tune the gas block and will there still be further room for improvement if I try the H2 buffer?  Will it be worth it?  Tnx
View Quote

maybe you will need to back the screw out, maybe you wont.  one way to find out right?  what's the point of asking this question when the answer is so stupidly obvious?  as far as resale, you are better off keeping it.  if you sell it now, you will probably need it down the road and have to pay buy another one at a loss.  buffers are something that don't hurt to keep in the spare parts drawer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know that asking for some suggestions and/or opinion was a stupid thing to do.  My apologies THE PINKMIST....maybe you know everything already.  I hope you don't drive away newbies from this wonderful forum.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know that asking for some suggestions and/or opinion was a stupid thing to do.  My apologies THE PINKMIST....maybe you know everything already.  I hope you don't drive away newbies from this wonderful forum.
View Quote

not stupid, these ? keep the forums from going stale.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed not everyone is an expert and knows everything.  The idea of the AR discussion forum is to discuss and ask questions.  What you think is a stupid question may not be to someone else.

OP shot the rifle and asses from there I put T2 and H2 buffers in rifles and they needed no adjustments plus you are not using Wolf/Tulammo which usually runs better in SOME rifles with car buffers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Why don't you just buy one H3 buffer (3x tungsten weights) and then modify your carbine buffer first into an H1, then an H2 and finally even try the H3 and see which one runs better for you and the ammo you shoot?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Tnx for the suggestion, I will try this one I have and see how it works.  If and when I decide to try other weights, I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind.  Have a good one...appreciate your input
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't tune your gas block around your buffer weight.  Get it running with regular gas flow and a regular buffer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The heavy buffers are used by people to tame full auto, suppressed, or otherwise over gassed firearms. If the rifle has an adjustable gas block, why bother?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've gotta admit that I'm quite confused with comments the OP has received thus far regarding going to an H2 with a 16" carbine.

An H2 should be the minimum with a 16" carbine - that's an incredibly overgassed setup.

Shit, I run H2s with even enhanced powered buffer springs in every single 14.5" mid I even own - and I primarily shoot lower powered PMC Bronze 223 thru them as well. They all run 100 percent flawlessly.

If 14.5" mids with enhanced powered buffer springs, H2s, and low pressured ammo cycle flawlessly, any half decent 16" carbine should literally cycle the shittiest ammo in existence with an H2 buffer and a standard powered buffer spring like a champ.

There's frankly no reason to run anything less than an H2 in a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
It's good you have an adj gas block, you can likely just tune with that.  If you didn't, I would say you want that H2 as a minimum.

I run H2s in my 14.5 carbine gas rifles, with extra power springs.  With that 16, you did good with the gas block.  I bought my son a 16" carbine for his first AR, and I am putting a AGB on that as soon as I can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top