BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for edit later. Will be shooting this next Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good to know! I will try to get out to the range again this week and post more pics with a different rifle.
ETA the rifle I shot that group with is Optics Carbine not Optics rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rksonex- Frankengun 5.56 mm NATO- Aimpoint M2- Tula 55gr .223- Standing Isosceles- 6" = 5.73 MOA

IN! If someone would post up the target i would go out to the range this afternoon and try it out.

ETA: I'm back from the range and I don't think I did too bad.

Specs on the Frankengun:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3827/9216396203_16970d1033_o.jpg
14.7" CMMG M4 barrel with Pined A2
Troy VTAC Alpha rail 13"
Aero Precision Upper
CMMG BCG and CH
Essential arms lower with PSA innerds and MIL-Spec trigger.
Old Aimpoint M2 off of Ebay in a Primary Arms mount.

Ammo:

Cheep 55gr FMJ Tula

Position: Standing Isosceles

The Target: Measured exactly 6" biggest spread on 5.73 MOA
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s616/rksonex/IMG_4415_zpsde51b6d9.jpg

Great!!!

Except...Please follow the format so I can post your results.

Sorry I thought the top line was the only format required. My bad.

No, my bad!

I totally missed that line!!

Sorry!

Post a pic with the measured/ruler on the extreme holes to keep us all on the same page.

Also, you don't have to, but just for interest sake, post a pic if you can of your shooting stance.  I think that will be of interest to a lot of other shooters.

Thanks!

Good to know! I will try to get out to the range again this week and post more pics with a different rifle.

RKSONEX;  Thanks and sorry for making you my "guinea pig".

What is the bbl length INCLUDING MUZZLE DEVICE?

I'll reemphasize the bbl length thing in the starter thread since I am going to have trouble eyeballing some.

Let me know for sure what the length is and I will update.

To All:

See original thread starter and make sure you include BARREL LENGTH, INCLUDING MUZZLE DEVICES.  This measurement designates the Division you are in.  Muzzle devices count toward total barrel length.

MEASURE YOUR BARREL USING THE FOLLOWING METHOD; POST THAT WITH THE DATA ABOVE; Use the “BATFE Method”; Unload rifle, insert cleaning rod from muzzle to breech face, mark at the muzzle, w/draw and measure from end to mark. For our purposes, "Barrel Length" INCLUDES, REPEAT, INCLUDES MUZZLE DEVICES!

Thanks for bearing with me, Guys!

I think we have it all set up now!

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Place holder..This is going to be fun..
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Minute of man challenge. I'm in for this.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll reemphasize the bbl length thing in the starter thread since I am going to have trouble eyeballing some.

To All:

See original thread starter and make sure you include BARREL LENGTH, INCLUDING MUZZLE DEVICES.  This measurement designates the Division you are in.  Muzzle devices count toward total barrel length.

MEASURE YOUR BARREL USING THE FOLLOWING METHOD; POST THAT WITH THE DATA ABOVE; Use the “BATFE Method”; Unload rifle, insert cleaning rod from muzzle to breech face, mark at the muzzle, w/draw and measure from end to mark. For our purposes, "Barrel Length" INCLUDES, REPEAT, INCLUDES MUZZLE DEVICES!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I thought the top line was the only format required. My bad.

No, my bad!

I totally missed that line!!

Sorry!

Post a pic with the measured/ruler on the extreme holes to keep us all on the same page.

Also, you don't have to, but just for interest sake, post a pic if you can of your shooting stance.  I think that will be of interest to a lot of other shooters.

Thanks!

To All:

Barrel with muzzle device is 16.1"
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Barrel with muzzle device is 16.1"
View Quote

And......we have a #1 in the Optical Carbine Division!!

Congrats!

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag.   I'll get in with my 16" and 11.5" later this week.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in...if I can get a place to shoot. I'll talk to someone who's name sounds like ManPFSex...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot today, didn't do too bad.  And yes there are only 14 rounds on target, I really yanked the first shot.  I shot crouched, and no the sling was not used.

Rifle used:
M&P 15
Eotech XPS2-0
Vortex Magnifier

Target:
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shot today, didn't do too bad.  And yes there are only 14 rounds on target, I really yanked the first shot.  I shot crouched, and no the sling was not used.

Rifle used:
M&P 15
Eotech XPS2-0
Vortex Magnifier
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/P8ntblldude/media/9f47c4ce-deec-4fe5-bf34-a3db7e120797_zps3b4d1969.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/9f47c4ce-deec-4fe5-bf34-a3db7e120797_zps3b4d1969.jpg</a>

Target:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/P8ntblldude/media/20130805_170335_zps3fe22f2e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/20130805_170335_zps3fe22f2e.jpg</a>
View Quote

If you shoot a group you do not like, that's ok.  Just follow the rules for photos and I can post it till you get a chance to reshoot.  When you beat it I'll just replace it with the better group.

Just rope #1 in and you'd have a good one going!
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Rifle used:

M&P 15

Eotech XPS2-0

Vortex Magnifier

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/9f47c4ce-deec-4fe5-bf34-a3db7e120797_zps3b4d1969.jpg

Target:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/20130805_170335_zps3fe22f2e.jpg
View Quote

Get some ink Bro

Nice shooting BTW
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MandPdude, what was the group measurement?
View Quote

Yeah, I'd like to know, too.

Here's the deal.

Reason this stuff is helpful is it is REAL.

In teaching new shooters, one of the things that i like to do is get them familiar with "reality" groups, not just the best of the best, but the ones that "just happen".  Every BAD FLYER is a lesson waiting to be told, and instead of instilling loss of confidence can instill the type of confidence necessary to improve.  READING the groups really helps.

I taught a young man to shoot pistol a year ago.  He did...poorly.  REALLY bad.  Hard to say why.  He's big, athletic, etc, but just couldn't shoot.  We saved groups, "read them' and then, little by little, as he improved, we could go back and say, "You were here,, now you are here".  Just took a class with Combat focus shooting and he was one of the best shooters there!!  I was pretty jazzed about the whole thing.

Ditto this.

Post all.  

Let somebody else boot you off the roster or boot yourself off at a later date with a better group.  Don't pitch the "unworthy" groups.............THERE ARE NO UNWORTHY GROUPS!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Question: I don't have a QR mount for my EOTech on my rifle and I don't want to remove it as ammo is still somewhat scarce up here and re-zeroing could be a PITA. If I use my only BUIS, but leave the EOTech mounted on the rifle (turned off, of course), does that still qualify me for the irons-only category? I can have a witness verify that the EOTech is off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question: I don't have a QR mount for my EOTech on my rifle and I don't want to remove it as ammo is still somewhat scarce up here and re-zeroing could be a PITA. If I use my only BUIS, but leave the EOTech mounted on the rifle (turned off, of course), does that still qualify me for the irons-only category? I can have a witness verify that the EOTech is off.
View Quote

Sorry, but Glass on the gun gets the gun classed in the Optical Division.

No way around it, unfortunately.

Just a question, tho.  Doesn't it return to zero {or very close} when you pull it off?  My AR scopes do so I am wondering about yours.

I plan to group my guns with irons when I get the chance.  Oops, I mean "pattern" my guns.      
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]
At first I thought in the sitting postion if I could rest my elbow on me knee, then I saw OP's pic so looks like I can correct me If I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At first I thought in the sitting postion if I could rest my elbow on me knee, then I saw OP's pic so looks like I can correct me If I am wrong.
View Quote

Good question;  Yes, you can.

Kneeling can be done with one elbow on knee, squatting elbows on knees are OK.  The old cross-legged position, elbows on knees, OK, too.

No non-body part under the elbows, AKA NO PRONE, tho, and no resting on bench, or wall, etc.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just a question, tho.  Doesn't it return to zero {or very close} when you pull it off?  My AR scopes do so I am wondering about yours.

I plan to group my guns with irons when I get the chance.  Oops, I mean "pattern" my guns.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does come back pretty close. Just didn't wanna expend the ammo if I didn't have to. I'll remove it and go for the irons category.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It does come back pretty close. Just didn't wanna expend the ammo if I didn't have to. I'll remove it and go for the irons category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good!

As soon as we fill in some slots I think this thing will grow wings.  Unsupported shooting is just plain FUN.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Kneeling can be done with one elbow on knee, squatting elbows on knees are OK.  The old cross-legged position, elbows on knees, OK, too.

No non-body part under the elbows, AKA NO PRONE, tho, and no resting on bench, or wall, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent. I am going to try that sitting position where they turn thier hand holding the handguard the opposite way.

You should add this to the OP too.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a good idea.  I added it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And now you are a member.

ETA: Any plans on adding a .22LR division?

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Hoping to post up my first group with the M4A1 clone and irons today after work. Planned on shooting in the sitting, am glad to see there are no special rules for that position (other than no sling/support).

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA: Any plans on adding a .22LR division?

View Quote

I don't think so.

I want to keep this one short and sweet and clean for the AR centerfires.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Get some ink Bro

Nice shooting BTW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifle used:
M&P 15
Eotech XPS2-0
Vortex Magnifier
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/9f47c4ce-deec-4fe5-bf34-a3db7e120797_zps3b4d1969.jpg

Target:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/P8ntblldude/20130805_170335_zps3fe22f2e.jpg

Get some ink Bro

Nice shooting BTW

GF failed to mention the lack of ink, until after I printed the target.  Then said "Oh yah we need ink"  Headed back to the range on Thursday, hopefully with better results.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Groups, I never think much of it when applied to combat shooting in wich only hits count..if you can group within 5 inches or a little less off hand while moving thats good shooting to me if you can do that out to at least 25 yds.90 percent or maybe more of all gun fights take place well under 50 yds so I practice within those real world standards.Moving around carrying a load ie exerting yourself physically will also affect how you shoot when on the move.
View Quote

Groups demonstrate how good you can consistently shoot.  Groups from a field position (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone) demonstrate how good a rifleman you are.

While all of this is subjective, when you refer to “hits” on a target, I’m assuming you mean a IPSC or some other type silhouette.  If you are using an AR-15 at 25 or 50 yards, you are essentially shooting a pistol course with a rifle.  Push your comfort zone out and shoot this thing.  Don’t BS yourself into thinking your accomplishing anything by “hitting” a 18”x30” target.  Regarding “real world” standards,  I’m not sure where your getting your data, the engagements in Iraq & Afghanistan vary out to 700 meters.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Groups demonstrate how good you can consistently shoot.  Groups from a field position (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone) demonstrate how good a rifleman you are.

While all of this is subjective, when you refer to “hits” on a target, I’m assuming you mean a IPSC or some other type silhouette.  If you are using an AR-15 at 25 or 50 yards, you are essentially shooting a pistol course with a rifle.  Push your comfort zone out and shoot this thing.  Don’t BS yourself into thinking your accomplishing anything by “hitting” a 18”x30” target.  Regarding “real world” standards,  I’m not sure where your getting your data, the engagements in Iraq & Afghanistan vary out to 700 meters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Groups, I never think much of it when applied to combat shooting in wich only hits count..if you can group within 5 inches or a little less off hand while moving thats good shooting to me if you can do that out to at least 25 yds.90 percent or maybe more of all gun fights take place well under 50 yds so I practice within those real world standards.Moving around carrying a load ie exerting yourself physically will also affect how you shoot when on the move.

You should keep this stuff out of the contest to keep it from getting into an argument.  Some people will come up with reasons not to do anything.  Don't even bother acknowledging them and simply do the shoot.  Strange way to come onto the forum with your first post.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump since the weekend is coming up. I swear I'm gonna' get to the range soon! Tried the other day but the 100 yard range was full...
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Here you go.  Another one;

EVR – S&W M&P15 – 17 1/2" - Burris 3-9 fullfield - Magpul FCS – PMC 55 FMJ - Sitting – 3.435" = 3.069 MOA

I have two 5.56 AR's.  The ArmaLite I shoot better from bench and rested or supported prone, the Smith, well, the targets say it, I shoot it better from close field positions than I do the ArmaLite.  Not shown here, I shoot the ArmaLite better at 300 meters from sitting than I do the Smith.

The Rifle;

This I thought was interesting.  When I was driving the gear home I looked at the target backer and there it is.  3 rifle's worth of shooting of 4 different loads {one of the 5.56's got 2 different loads on these targets}.  I'm not sure how many rounds are fired here, but with different rifles, loads and zeros, all inside about 8 inches.  All fired from sitting position.

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I do have one suggestion OP. I do think this is a great idea, and as soon as I can get to 100 yards I will shoot it, and see just how bad my skills have deteriorated. lol

My suggestion, is that you include non magnified optics, Eotechs, Aimpoints , etc, that are NOT using a magnifier with the iron sights. The iron sights, if you can see them well enough to use them , are actually capable of better accuracy than non magnified optics.

Anyone using a magnifier with a red dot, of course, should go into the magnified optics section.

Of course, this is your baby, so it's up to you, and you can put me where you want. I see this as a fun thing, and maybe an eye opener as to where I'm at right now with so little range time in the last few years.

If I can't , for some reason get out to 100 yards in the next couple of months, I have about 50-75 here. I will size the target accordingly , and shoot it. I don't expect it to count, but I will post it up for either the awe or the hilarity. Hopefully, it will be awe, but, I have my doubts. lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do have one suggestion OP. I do think this is a great idea, and as soon as I can get to 100 yards I will shoot it, and see just how bad my skills have deteriorated. lol

My suggestion, is that you include non magnified optics, Eotechs, Aimpoints , etc, that are NOT using a magnifier with the iron sights. The iron sights, if you can see them well enough to use them , are actually capable of better accuracy than non magnified optics.

Anyone using a magnifier with a red dot, of course, should go into the magnified optics section.

Of course, this is your baby, so it's up to you, and you can put me where you want. I see this as a fun thing, and maybe an eye opener as to where I'm at right now with so little range time in the last few years.

If I can't , for some reason get out to 100 yards in the next couple of months, I have about 50-75 here. I will size the target accordingly , and shoot it. I don't expect it to count, but I will post it up for either the awe or the hilarity. Hopefully, it will be awe, but, I have my doubts. lol
View Quote

I understand your concern, but one of the things this and the other 1 MOA Challenge is bringing out is the limitation non-magnified "unit" or "reflex" optics have in shooting past say, 50 yards.

Now a regular 1X rifle scope will give a shooter an advantage over an iron sight shooter because the glass user doesn't need to manage three focus planes.  So it IS an advantage.

But then you add the reticle/dot, etc, and it appears they are...not.

So, we decided, once and for all, that git is merely Glass or no Glass.  If the 1x/unit/reflex scopes can't cut it at a mere 100 yards in competition with either irons or "regular scopes" then that is valuable information in and of itself.

Divisions will have to remain as they are; Glas/No Glass, Rifle/Carbine.

Sorry, but there it is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, but in combat shooting, the non magnified optics, red dots etc, give you speed over irons, and are more than accurate enough for hits on a torso sized target out to at least 300 yards.

Irons and Dots etc, are effective in different ways. They are made for different purposes, well, not for different purposes, but are solutions to the same problem with differing paths to the point.  Like I said, it is your call, but to group them with magnified optics seems illogical.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]
bump for headsup to weekend shooters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, rifle is a stock 20" A4 with iron sights.  Rounds are privy-partizan 62 grain FMJ green tip.  Checked zero at 25 yards, using two different POA's, one at 6 O'Clock, the other COM.  Interesting as all my bullets were drifting right, could be trigger squeeze, but by Army standards this is good enough.  

Now onto the 100 yard challenge, I brought one target, shot it twice.  Marked the first set with a sharpie to delineate from the second.

Got into the seated position, and struggled.  I do not shoot a rifle much (I know, sun was in my eyes, I had a hangnail, – all excuses), in any event, I worked at it and got settled into a seated position with minimum front sight wiggle.

1st go everything was low, I aimed low, because my zero is a 300 meter one.  

2nd group I aimed 2” low and got 9 in the center, with 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 wandering off to the right side.  Fatigue or poor zero?  I think fatigue.

This whole exercise got me to doing some research to figure out the best field position for me to shoot at, I found this from the CMP on seated positions:

http://www.odcmp.org/0307/?page=USAMU_CASITTING
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Bookmarked for home reading
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Look up natural point of aim. Work on that, and that will help you a lot. I don't know if I can get into the Bullseye style seated position now. Been a long time without exercise and shooting due to health and not being able to get out, well, and laziness.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#38]
449:

Thanks for posting!!

Few things;

First, I find it interesting the whole Army Zero thing.  I've heard it for years and your results are very like mine in that what constitutes a "Zero" at 25m is rarely "on" where it should be at say 200, or 100 in this case. Reading the 25m zero, obviously the group is clustered to the right, but I'm guessing at the range Sergeant Carter says "Good enough".  For field shooting and hunting, it of course isn't which is shown by the drift in shots hard astarboard in the 100 yard group.  Hence I have never accepted the 25m zero for field shooting tho I've used it many times to establish "on paper" results that I can then confirm at distance.  I basically ALWAYS need to confirm my zero's.  

Also, the target is hard to see at 100 yards, no doubt about it, and it makes the shooting more difficult.

We decided to go with it anyway as it is, nevertheless, a STANDARD target and puts everybody on the same playing field with the same disadvantages and it proves the performance of the guns and shooter and........sighting system.

I happen to know 449 and know he can shoot well.  But age and eyes well, don't get better with age!

But nevertheless, that horrible little target exposes the difficulty in shooting irons and truth be known, part of this whole exercise is to expose truth for truth.  I read so much monkeybiz on forums where guys say stuff like "I shoot irons better than scopes" or "I can shoot my iron-sighted AR better than I can glass".  Well, on a target range on a competition target, that actually can be true, but in the field, you cannot hit what you cannot see and often you cannot see the target with "bare eyes".  

Remember how staunchly AGAINST glass the Marine heirarchy was and then, more or less last to the dance, they loosened up.  Yeah, glass is superior except under certain weather conditions, more or less.

Also;  Guys...nobody expects supertight groups!!

Let's face it;  This is actually kind of a hard target to shoot.  Most "1/2 MOA Guys" are blowing gas anyway.  This thing will expose the truth, and THAT statement will be proven when we have a bunch of entries listed!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Went out today and used the cross ankled position previously listed and shot this, pretty good, but had a flier.  Found this steadier than the prone unsupported.  Fired with a 20" A4 iron sights.  

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/jmpmstr/100SHTFyard_zpse25a712d.jpg

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#40]
P.S., Can't imagine sitting in combat to shoot.  I'm sure it's been done,   EVR, what was the story of the guy in the Pacific, was it Roy Dunlop? Pacific Theatre?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Great shooting and thanks for posting!!!

Keep them coming guys!!

Quoted:
P.S., Can't imagine sitting in combat to shoot.  I'm sure it's been done,   EVR, what was the story of the guy in the Pacific, was it Roy Dunlop? Pacific Theatre?
View Quote

I'm not sure what you are referring to above.

Hey, go back and read thru the first post rules.  Give us the correct pix so we can see measurents, rifle, etc, and give me the data in the format so I can post your results. You will be first up in the Iron Sights Rifle Division.

I pulled the scope off my carbine today and shot it and then rescoped it and shot from sitting.

Will do it later.  I've got wood to split and then off to Mass in town.  It is HOT out!

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I think this is a fantastic idea. Real-world shooting; who woulda thunk it? I love the rules as well.
This will be a place holder until I get to the range, which reminds me, I need to re-up my gun club dues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I pulled the scope off my Smith and Wesson M&P today.

It was warm out.

Here's the gun.  No, I did not use the sling {which pulls shots off by the way};

The Target;

Group w/ ruler.  {That ruler is a 90-year-old pocket rule...PopPop [my Grandfather was a machinist at the old Philly Naval Yard]}.

Shot from sitting, elbows rested on knees.

EVR – Smith & Wesson M&P15 5.56 – 17.5" - Carry handle Rear, Standard FSB - MAGPUL FCS – Handload - Sitting – 5.901" = 5.636 MOA
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I was just wondering with you guys shooting Irons or Zero mag optics. How does the Target look like from 100 yards away? Can you even see it?

I was shooting the 1moa all day targets at 25 with irons with my 10/22 and I am blind as fuck cause I could not see those lil BFL's. So I gave up and thought maybe it would look better outdoors under the sun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was just wondering with you guys shooting Irons or Zero mag optics. How does the Target look like from 100 yards away? Can you even see it?

I was shooting the 1moa all day targets at 25 with irons with my 10/22 and I am blind as fuck cause I could not see those lil BFL's. So I gave up and thought maybe it would look better outdoors under the sun.

View Quote

Great question.

YES, it is HARD to see.  

As are deer in the timber and coyotes in the brush, of course.

What this little exercise teaches is that you do not shot "at" the ARFCOM "boltface", you SHOOT a tiny, hazy, fuzzy vaguely roundish sort of floating blob.

And that is why it is important to use the standard target.  It is HARD.  But, seriously...it CAN be shot.  Just wait till some High Power guys show up!

Stick to the rules, post your groups EVEN IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THEM.

Let them sit there and beckon you to have another go.

That's what mine are doing!  

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Great question.

YES, it is HARD to see.  

What this little exercise teaches is that you do not shot "at" the ARFCOM "boltface", you SHOOT a tiny, hazy, fuzzy vaguely roundish sort of floating blob.

And that is why it is important to use the standard target.  It is HARD.  But, seriously...it CAN be shot.  Just wait till some High Power guys show up!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great question.

YES, it is HARD to see.  

Thanks for the feedback, but I can cheat with game using a scope.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great question.

YES, it is HARD to see.  

Not even cheating as we have a Division for the glass users too.

Shoot it and post!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow this target sucks!!! Gray blur at 100 yards!!!

safes2small - Rock River lower, Colt M4 upper cut to 10.5 with a YHM 556QD - 17.5" - LMT rear A2 front - important mod = thrown down driveway - PPU 75gr match - standing offhand - 8.56" = 7.96 MOA

Edit for EVR...
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome!

Line all the info out in the format given in the first post and I'll post it up.

Good shooting!!

Looks like 7.962 MOA

Quoted:
Got out to the range yesterday. Rock River lower, Colt 6921 upper cut down to 10.5" with a YHM 556QD. Total length 17.5". Shot standing unsupported with iron sights, wow this target really sucks at 100 yards. I used PPU 75gr match ammo.

8.56" max center to center MOA =? I suck at math...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/safes2small/DB767FE0-A697-4B83-A857-93359D9569D3-3051-0000042084846508_zpsf51ec759.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/safes2small/7F3A0232-BBD9-43D3-8228-27A705B0731E-3051-000004208E50981C_zps28008c27.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/safes2small/D0FF227A-8409-4014-92B9-C4F7AE85A720-3051-0000042096EED7C1_zps07abba3b.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]
In like a fat kid on a French fry.  Be prepared to laugh at me, Im relatively new to the AR, more of an AK/C&R guy.

Placeholder in Optical Sighted Carbine <18" and Iron Sights Carbine <18"

Weapon Specs:

Frankenbuild AR
Palmetto FN Heavy Carbine Upper/AR57 Lower with PSA LBK(standard trigger)
Barrel length: 17 3/8" w/A2 device
Bushnell TRS-25 on a Burris Fastfire Riser/Colt Carry Handle for Iron Sights
F marked FSB, Magpul MBUS Rear for Optical
Winchester White Box 55g 5.56 NATO
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top