Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2013 1:44:43 PM EDT
Ordered two of these are back up BCG's since they are so cheap. Anybody have any first hand experience with these BCG from AIM?  Who makes these?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDADBCG10016
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Great price. The panic must be over.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Great price. The panic must be over.

AND they stayed in stock more than 5 minutes, it must have been about a week so far and they're still in stock

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered one last night. Aim stands behind their products and it's got a 9310 bolt so I'm not worried. They have the DSA bcg's with a 9310 bolt also
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't these have the cast or MIM gas keys everyone is so up in arms over?
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it...
what's the 'final verdict' on these???
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am unaware of this and already ordered one. Can you elaborate on this or give some direction as to where I can research this issue myself? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am unaware of this and already ordered one. Can you elaborate on this or give some direction as to where I can research this issue myself? Thanks

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/612518_Who_wants_to_return_their_PSA_BCG_s_because_they_are_not_happy_with_the_quality_of_workmanship_.html

Start here... They look like the same key PSA is or was using..
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh they're sold out now.  I'll check the BCG dealio again in like 6 months and then hopefully order some 'mil spec' for $150-$170 again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Our(DSArms) BCGs do not have cast or MIM gas keys they are machined from billet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Our(DSArms) BCGs do not have cast or MIM gas keys they are machined from billet.

Thanks

No one said that DSA BCGs have cast or MIM gas keys. The DSA BCGs are not even mentioned in this thread. AIM does sell other brands (and non-brands, in this case).
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LMT has been using MIM gas keys for a few years now and it hasn't been an issue that I'm aware of? I know mine works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#13]
LMT on MIM keys:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/Gas%20Key%20Study%20Response%20June%202009.pdf

Some guys need to lower their dose of sugar in the TactiKoolAid
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]
+100
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LMT on MIM keys:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/Gas%20Key%20Study%20Response%20June%202009.pdf

Of course LMT is going tio defend the fact that they are using MIM crap! Do you expect them to come out and state it can fail at any time?

Smith & Wesson's Custom Shop was asked why they refuse to use MIM parts by American Handgunner.

Their comment was "It may be good enough for standard S&W's, it's NOT good enough for us!"

Ask Ron Power of Power Custom (regarded as the #1 S&W pistolsmith in the world!} what he thinks of MIM. He will tell you it's crap!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to bring my old thread alive but I received my two AIM BCG's a few weeks back.

My initial impressions:

Looks like the gas key and the extractor is MIM.

The staking is very minimal. One BCG was only minimally staked on one side of gas key.  I notified AIM about this but I think it's too much of a hassle to ship back so I will re-stake myself.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of course LMT is going tio defend the fact that they are using MIM crap! Do you expect them to come out and state it can fail at any time?

Smith & Wesson's Custom Shop was asked why they refuse to use MIM parts by American Handgunner.

Their comment was "It may be good enough for standard S&W's, it's NOT good enough for us!"

Ask Ron Power of Power Custom (regarded as the #1 S&W pistolsmith in the world!} what he thinks of MIM. He will tell you it's crap!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMT on MIM keys:

Has anyone shown/ experienced a messed up key from LMT?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else notice in the pic all the gas rings are lined up?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDADBCG10016
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMT on MIM keys:

As long as SOMEONE offers NON-MIM parts I refuse to purchase that SHIT!!!

As too failures, all you have to do is a search of the 'net. Plenty of FIRST HAND reports, I personally know several people who have had MIM failures (one was an employee of mine).

The ONLY reason MIM exists is to cut costs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the carrier key is investment cast, still waiting to see one fail
we have sold over 5,000 and used them to build 400 uppers.  BUT if one does, we will replace it.  

Bryan
Aim
View Quote

Investment cast is fine!

Glad to hear you are resisting the MIM downward spiral
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not up to date on what is cast v. MIM, but the gas key and extractor have injection markings of some sort.  

I thought MIM was superior to casting for small parts, especially those with complex shapes like the gas key.  The MIM process seems kind of ideal for the gas key, where precision and lack of defects would be paramount.  

I think an extractor made from tool steel (which I believe the spec calls for) would be better, as it seems that part would suffer from quite a bit of wear and need to be fairly strong.  I have read that spec calls for S2 tool steel for the extractor and pin, but I guess that is bascially unobtanium unless you order like 12 tons of it.  I know some manufacturers are using S7 tool steel.  I'd probably rather have that than a MIM or cast extractor.

The AIM bolt seems pretty nice for the price.  Whether that is good enough is pretty much impossible to answer.  A bolt could be made of the "wrong" metal and we would never know it.  Maybe the "wrong" material is 99% as good as the "right" metal - or maybe the "wrong" material is actually better than the "right" stuff (as may be the case with C158 v. 9310 bolts).  Or maybe it is the "right" metal, but it is heat treated improperty.  That is probably more critical than what type of steel it is.  If you are not buying Colt (or maybe the one or two other manufacturers who 100% follow spec) you are taking a risk.  The nice thing about buying from AIM is the reasonable price and the fact that they will stand behind their product.

I thought the staking looked fine on the AIM bolt I received.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not up to date on what is cast v. MIM, but the gas key and extractor have injection markings of some sort.  

I thought MIM was superior to casting for small parts, especially those with complex shapes like the gas key.  The MIM process seems kind of ideal for the gas key, where precision and lack of defects would be paramount.  

View Quote

An example of MIM, pay CLOSE attention to the last line of information. Keep in mind Remington Arms is now one of the largest firearms users of MIM parts. If MIM is so damn great WHY is Remington making a point of NOT USING IT in critical parts of their Law Enforcement shotguns????

REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LE DIVISION
Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns
The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market.
It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality.
All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences.
It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models.
Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.
While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]
nevermind
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top