ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Posted: 4/30/2013 5:31:50 AM
I know both BCM and PSA lowers are solid (and hear more about BCM). In comparison how does PSA stand up to BCM? Are they pretty much on par for quality?
iNeXile556
Deo vindice
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 6:09:22 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 6:10:22 AM by iNeXile556]
No.
PSA is a dealer, they don't make anything.
BCM is a manufacturer.
Quality wise they are miles apart. BCM trumps PSA.

As far as basic stripped lowers go they are both more or less equal.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil,
but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions.
albatrossarmament
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 7:14:53 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 7:15:46 AM by albatrossarmament]
I disagree with the above statement. I think they are about the same quality, same specs, and sometimes PSA has a better barrel (cold-hammer forged by FN).

I sometimes drink the Bravo Company cool-aid too, but if you want an accurate assessment of quality, you have to tell us specifically what parts you want to compare.

Does BCM machine and anodize thier lowers in-house? I didnt think that was the case.
Synyster06Gates
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 7:17:20 AM
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:
No.
BCM is a manufacturer.

I disagree, as far as uppers go anyway. They look to be about equal in terms of quality. Comparing the two side by side there is very little difference in the fit and finish and the rifles that I shot were both more accurate than I am.
Rockyriver
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 7:20:12 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 7:21:40 AM by Rockyriver]
BCM rocks on shipping time, they are super quick.
PSA rocks on price, however PSA sucks on shipping time, they are slow as molasses sometimes.
As far as quality they are about the same.
g3_ultra
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:12:21 AM
IDK, but I just bought a lower and a barreled upper from PSA and the quality of both is outstanding. That was my first experience with them and I'm impressed. Shipping wasn't immediate, but it tells you that on the website. Took about 10 days for the lower and about 3 weeks for the upper.

Well worth the wait.
clayb2004
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:12:53 AM
No.
BCM is a manufacturer.

I disagreed until I read that last line. OP mentioned lower receivers, if that is all you are comparing, they are both forged 7075 aluminum. You won't find a difference in either. Every PSA lower I have built has had no finish or fit issues whatsoever. Just because it's stamped BCM on the side doesn't provide any inherent super quality madness justifying the price difference, IMO. I also believe the uppers are pretty hard to beat for the price, as said, FN CHF barrels have been proven to be pretty great pieces.

I can't speak for BCM's shipping, as anything I've ever wanted there is usually not in stock. PSA's order processing and shipping is horrible, but I can drive an hour and pick up anything I want for a short wait in line.
FargoZ71
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:33:45 AM
Which ever has the better price.. PSA & BCM lowers are about equal, both will serve you well... if you want a kit BCM put together rifle so you can tell buddies yea I got a BCM then theirs your awnser.. but both will be equal. Del-ton makes a decent 7075 t-6 alum forged lower for a good price too.
scromer
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:38:44 AM
I have rifles by both. BCM exceeds PSA in quality control on assembly of uppers, and in shipping time.

PSA has better pricing, but so-so customer service. PSA suffered from growing pains but is striving to improve.

Both companies were founded by veterans.
Back in the land of Waffle House and sweet tea!!!
PreachermanMATT
No King But Jesus
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:46:28 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 8:48:20 AM by PreachermanMATT]
I've had 4+ of each in uppers and 2+ of each in lowers...Are many of the parts the same spec? Yes, "on paper".

But i have received uppers from PSA with the wrong gas system, or a rail not properly alligned. ---They'll fix it, but it takes 2+ weeks to get it out the first time. so now it's a month to get your upper out-correctly. And they charge when you order, not when they ship.

I also have had complete PSA lowers with different tolerances on the same PSA upper...

On the other, BCM has never taken over 48 hours to get an order out-correctly- the first time (in my experience). They charge when your stuff ships.

Also, considering price, when PSA was 20%+ less than BCM it was hands down the best budget build you could get---that can still be done from time to time with PSA (I.e. the $700 middy premium with MBUS and Aimpoint PRO-that's a $300 Premium with free MBUS, and a $400 Scope that you could split with if you want-in my book-a great buy- So I got one )

PSA is a major vendor who moves alot of product, and thus as others have said, are not always on target in matching product and order.

BCM built their reputation not on price but quality and service.

Both are 'good', but the same? NO!
BCM uppers turn all projectiles into magical laser guided angels of death and destruction. --87GN
jmreagan
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:52:35 AM
As far as stripped lowers go OP, BCM and PSA will be on par with each other. Complete rifles on the other hand, I would much rather have a BCM rifle. My recent experience with PSA's customer service was pretty miserable. I was initially told to go pound sand for a barrel PSA sent me with a crooked barrel extension & FSB. Once management got involved after I posted pics and gripes here on ARFcom they made things right but, it never should have came to that in the first place...
Synyster06Gates
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 8:58:09 AM
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:
I've had 4+ of each in uppers and 2+ of each in lowers...Are many of the parts the same spec? Yes, "on paper".

But i have received uppers from PSA with the wrong gas system, or a rail not properly alligned. ---They'll fix it, but it takes 2+ weeks to get it out the first time. so now it's a month to get your upper out-correctly. And they charge when you order, not when they ship.

I also have had complete PSA lowers with different tolerances on the same PSA upper...

On the other, BCM has never taken over 48 hours to get an order out-correctly- the first time (in my experience). They charge when your stuff ships.

Strange. I've only had 3 uppers from PSA, but none had any issue whatsoever. Two plain M4 Madness uppers neither had a canted front sight or anything, then my midlength CHF barreled SQR upper was absolutely perfect as well. All of which fit both my 2 PSA lowers and 1 DPMS lower with zero slop.

Again, though I may have a small sample size, the PSA and BCM uppers I've compared and shot are damn near identical in build quality, fit and finish, and performance.
whollyshite
NorCalLEO Nickname: Digger
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:05:23 AM
My current build has both PSA and BCM parts. I expect it to be well above mil-spec in quality and as tough as you would ever need.

I consider both to be high quality.

YMMV
MajorJustice
Leave the beaver here
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:12:54 AM
I keep waiting for the big Kool-Aid man to bust through the wall on this thread.

You know how I know you're a fanboy and to totally disregard anything you say about these rifles? Dude asks about the difference in 2 identical lower receivers and you start ranting about customer service and comparing the companies They are identical Ghostbear, buy either based on cost or based on which roll marks you prefer. In the grand scheme, you're going to get your lower soon enough if it's in stock, and it's very unlikely you're going to need to deal with customer service on a stripped lower. I would bet $100 that both companies will send the right part and get it right (they do most of the time) barring an ordering mistake on your end.
Gunfront.com

"That gun is not loaded, I can see your pin"
MajorJustice
Leave the beaver here
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:20:04 AM
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
I expect it to be well above mil-spec in quality and as tough as you would ever need.

Neither are "above Mil-Spec in quality". From what I've seen, BCM desperately tries to match Colt's quality control measures as closely as possible so they can claim that their product IS Mil-Spec.
Gunfront.com

"That gun is not loaded, I can see your pin"
thornejc
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:20:37 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 9:25:34 AM by thornejc]
If you are worried about price go with PSA... otherwise go with BCM if you have the option. PSA is just a distributor so everything is out-sourced and assembled in house. They went through a kinda shaky period where they couldn't get to much right but they seem to be doing well now. I believe that you are going to have better luck with a BCM if you are going to run the shit out of it but PSA makes a fine rifle too. My friend has one of the 1st 20 rifles they ever put out and it has held up well. However, I personally would spend the extra money on a BCM... they have a really good rep for quality and customer service if something were to go wrong.
thornejc
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:30:08 AM
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:

Strange. I've only had 3 uppers from PSA, but none had any issue whatsoever. Two plain M4 Madness uppers neither had a canted front sight or anything, then my midlength CHF barreled SQR upper was absolutely perfect as well. All of which fit both my 2 PSA lowers and 1 DPMS lower with zero slop.

Again, though I may have a small sample size, the PSA and BCM uppers I've compared and shot are damn near identical in build quality, fit and finish, and performance.

Man this is the type of shit i hate... the whole well i shot both of them and they seemed the same to me. Yea... i have shot both of them too and they both work fine but it is about putting out a consistent quality product and backing it. And the whole zero slop thing lies. Unless you are rocking like an LMT MRP you are going to have slop... technically, A LITTLE is supposed to be there to facilitate breaking it down in the field.
Synyster06Gates
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 9:53:51 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 9:56:03 AM by Synyster06Gates]
Originally Posted By thornejc:

Man this is the type of shit i hate... the whole well i shot both of them and they seemed the same to me. Yea... i have shot both of them too and they both work fine but it is about putting out a consistent quality product and backing it. And the whole zero slop thing lies. Unless you are rocking like an LMT MRP you are going to have slop... technically, A LITTLE is supposed to be there to facilitate breaking it down in the field.

Maybe your definition of slop vs mine is different. I consider "slop" a noticeable amount of movement between the receivers when they are together. My PSA rifles have a noticeable amount of "friction" if you will and the lugs fit tight in the lower. I've played with rifles that you could hear shifting around when you moved. Get off your high horse, I was mentioning my experience with each company. To me, PSA has been VERY consistent and put out quality product. No need to get butthurt that someone has a different opinion than you.
Medicfrost
Bolt Face Extremist
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 10:33:57 AM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2013 10:34:53 AM by Medicfrost]
With BCM, you will consistently get top notch parts. PSA seems to be a mystery at times. Is the buffer tube 6061 vs. 7075? Bolts that may be MPI, or they may not be (I don't believe they ever HPT them.) Carriers with a hodgepodge of mismatched parts with questionable staking. And then there was the gas tube fiasco a year ago.
RPM509
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 10:34:48 AM
I think the comparison isn't apples to apples, but there are no oranges in the equation either.
Both have good products, shop smart and look for the deals they both have and buy with confidence from either.
9divdoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 11:02:39 AM
I'll take BCM's combined stringent quality control and customer service over any other manufacturer out there...
Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ricochet7
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 11:26:55 AM
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
I'll take BCM's combined stringent quality control and customer service over any other manufacturer out there...

Me too. If you put 2 rifles on the table for sale- which one will bring the highest price?
I did this recently, my BCM rifles sold fastest and at a higher price.

I'm not saying PSA is not a great company, they just do not have the reputation (yet) that BCM has).
I know what to expect with BCM every time. I have bought PSA LPKs and other parts, found varying quality- but mostly acceptable.
For even money, I know what I'll buy. I know what brought the best prices when I sold, (as bad as I hated selling).

But, again, PSA is an asset- it's your money, your choice.
"Better to be thought a dinosaur than a cockroach." -- Jeff Cooper
"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." Major I. L. Holdridge, USMC
thornejc
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 11:29:13 AM
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
Originally Posted By thornejc:

Maybe your definition of slop vs mine is different. I consider "slop" a noticeable amount of movement between the receivers when they are together. My PSA rifles have a noticeable amount of "friction" if you will and the lugs fit tight in the lower. I've played with rifles that you could hear shifting around when you moved. Get off your high horse, I was mentioning my experience with each company. To me, PSA has been VERY consistent and put out quality product. No need to get butthurt that someone has a different opinion than you.

I understand... i live a little less than 10min away from PSA (right in between their farrow rd and i-26 locations) and have seen plenty of them. About every damn rifle around here is a PSA nowadays. We just had a different definition of slop.... No big deal. But PSA hit a point where they were putting out some bad shit. They seem to have that corrected and they handled this whole "panic" like a champion so yea i'm not knocking PSA. But i understand the difference between PSA and BCM and its mainly their reputation if that matters to you. My friend has one of the 1st rifles 20 rifles... he has used it for duty use and is using it as his duty weapon on the swat team here until he gets a gov issued weapon... it has a lot of rounds through it and handles well. My bad for sounding like i am up on some "high horse" but i really was just saying that in all likelihood you could shoot your friends olympic arms and then shoot a noveske and if all 30 rounds make it out the barrel, not see much difference between the two but that doesn't mean you would suggest they were the same.
The_Hammer
Thanks slashsplat!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 1:55:08 PM
You have to love how a man can ask about the quality of two different lowers and he gets a "PSA vs BCM" shit storm instead

Both are good lowers, it really just comes down to which roll mark you want.
The day you think you know it all is the day you have truly become a fool.

Asinus Delenda Est
tedness
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 2:25:35 PM
Parts for parts I feel like one is no better than the other. Which is what the OP was asking, not assembly, not CS, just parts.
BamaInArk
Time for Action
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2013 3:55:27 PM
No.
BCM is a manufacturer.

This has me wondering......what exactly does BCM manufacture? I'm not so sure they build any of the parts they "assemble".

This is not meant as a dig on BCM, they are my go to company for parts, etc. Comparisons are a fair question however.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED