Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2013 11:02:49 AM EDT
Opinions on these? I use a discreet case for my AR, and I've noticed that the take down pins are not the easiest to remove (mainly the front pin). I looked into extended pins from Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-action-parts/takedown-parts/pins/ar15-m16-308ar-extended-takedown-pins-prod54614.aspx).  I know I can just use punches, but I don't know if I'll always have them available; additionally, I would like to avoid marking up my takedown pins with the punch.  

Anyone use the pins? Are they usually made to spec and fit well?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, I wasn't sure where this should go, so feel free to move appropriately.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll look into those as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the YHM pins on my 9mm. It's the only AR I use them on because it is a recreational rifle for me. They stick out quite a bit and snag on quite a bit. But if you don't care about that, or don't worry about a streamlined rifle, they are great to have.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waste of money.

to each their own

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use the YHM pins on my 9mm. It's the only AR I use them on because it is a recreational rifle for me. They stick out quite a bit and snag on quite a bit. But if you don't care about that, or don't worry about a streamlined rifle, they are great to have.

My AR is mainly for recreational use at the range and in Carbine courses.  I occasionally will take it hunting, but I have other rifles for that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AR is mainly for recreational use at the range and in Carbine courses.  I occasionally will take it hunting, but I have other rifles for that.

Then you really don't need them.  To each thier own, but I think a small plastic punch would work best for you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have them and love them.  The AR platform is full of crap poking out of it anyway.  I sanded mine lightly so that they come out easier.  They have never come out or snagged on anything unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO the extended take down and pivot pins fall in the same category as the large extended tactical latches on charging handles - they are nothing but an additional snag hazard, that get pulled at the most unexpected times,added to a rather modest profile rifle.
Im sure they have an application for some folks like competition shooters etc. but I have no use for them.Maybe if I had to use a fixed mag/bullet button the extended push pins would be nice.Otherwise I don't have to pop my uppers open enough to require a feature like that and consider it as adding gadgets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I considered them when I bought my rifle but after a year the pins became much easier to work.  I used to use a .223 round to help push the pins but now after them breaking in I  can just use my fingers.  IMO just another snag
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I had some similar to the ones from Brownells. They were a waste of money. I have a set of the YHM pins on a different lower and they are much nicer. Are they necesary? No, but I like them. Makes getting a tight fitting receiver apart easier. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Waste of money.

Funny, I find them quite handy. Several of my AR's are stored apart and the large heads on the pins let me assemble and disassemble my carbines quickly. I have them on nearly every AR I own.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waste of money.

Funny, I find them quite handy. Several of my AR's are stored apart and the large heads on the pins let me assemble and disassemble my carbines quickly. I have them on nearly every AR I own.
I guess you could say a cleaning rod is quite handy as well if you get a lot of FTEs

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I definitely understand both approaches - if you have trouble with them snagging on things, then it's not too helpful.  I would hope that they wouldn't just slide out easily - could lead to some serious issues.

I have a Larue discreet case for my AR, so I store the upper detached from the lower.  The off and on every time I take it out is what made me look into extended pins.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought about getting them but I have no problem at all getting standard takedown pins to pop off. Simple push of the thumb then pull the rest out. If you need a punch to push them out I'm pretty sure the wrong sping was used.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
KNS makes a good takedown and pivot pin. I personally just use a bullet or whatever to push normal pins out. I don't really worry about scratching them yet some how they remain un- scratched. You could always keep a small Delrin punch in your carry case to soothe your OCD tendencies.

FWIW, I have found the KNS pins to come in handy as part of my tool kit. You can put an upper and lower together without the springs and detents.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I think that they are unnecessary.  Just something else sticking off the gun to get caught up on stuff.  You can take your time taking your rifle down but if you are in a jam you aren't going to be worried about scratching your finish so a 556 round is a great tool for knocking them out.  Keeping them oiled helps too.  Can't tell you not to get them but i can tell you I wouldn't
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]
To me, they are more trouble than the benefit they offer. I do have friends who love theirs, they put them on all ARs.
I use a bullet tip and don't have to worry about them hanging on things. Is fine to be different, it is your money/your gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Really how long does it take to pop two pins to take an AR apart? Seconds? If you shoot it enough it will not be tight for long. Sac up and spend your money on ammo. Folks and there safe queens mystify me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Really how long does it take to pop two pins to take an AR apart? Seconds? If you shoot it enough it will not be tight for long. Sac up and spend your money on ammo. Folks and there safe queens mystify me.

Last time, I couldn't get the front pin out without a punch.  I could get it out partially, but not all the way.  The rifle isn't a "safe queen" in that I'm "afraid" or "opposed" to shooting it, I just choose not to leave it assembled in my house.  Every person has their own preference.  Just like I choose not to keep an AR magazine loaded - this is not a self-defense weapon for me.  

$20 for pins is only about 20 rounds of ammo these days anyways, and that's when I can find it.  The price isn't prohibitive; it's the functionality that I am interested in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time, I couldn't get the front pin out without a punch.  I could get it out partially, but not all the way.  The rifle isn't a "safe queen" in that I'm "afraid" or "opposed" to shooting it, I just choose not to leave it assembled in my house.  Every person has their own preference.  Just like I choose not to keep an AR magazine loaded - this is not a self-defense weapon for me.  

$20 for pins is only about 20 rounds of ammo these days anyways, and that's when I can find it.  The price isn't prohibitive; it's the functionality that I am interested in.

Get em, try em and report back.
As far as the front pin being too tight, have you tried pushing it after you have the rear pin out and the receivers are hinged a bit, rather than pushing it while they are still tight together.  That should loosen the front pin some.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#22]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

As far as the front pin being too tight, have you tried pushing it after you have the rear pin out and the receivers are hinged a bit, rather than pushing it while they are still tight together.  That should loosen the front pin some.

I have not tried that; I'll give that a try to see how it works.  Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Extended take down pins are like half the junk they make for these rifles, not needed and a way to separate people from their money. Just like the BAD lever, can there me a more useless waste of money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like you guys dont ever carry multitools or knives, the hand stop on my CRKT M16-13SFG works great at pushing pins in to start them.

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/images/thumbnails/7/250/CRKT-M16-13SFG-Tanto-Knife.jpg

And no i didnt pay a rediculous about for this, it was like 35$ at the PX at Camp Ripley MN.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#26]
a 5.56 round works the best.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one of the Watsons on the rear of my primary unit as advertised in the Store and it iworks very well.   The best looking is the Kies that is sold on Joe Bob Outfitters site.  I like using the pair for quick changes between calibers and feel they give more flexibility to an already flexible platform.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
As others have posted I think it's a user dependant choice. My ar's are range toys for the most part. Not an operator or anything of that nature so flexibility and ease of use outweigh any issues with snags etc. I run an extended rear pin with a small para cord loop on it for both guns. The main reason is I use a tension screw so the upper and lowers fit nice and snug( no likey wobbles and wiggles ) so the standard take down pin is a little tough to pull out. The loop makes it easy and quick to yank out. Although its still got to get a good tug on it to come out. Food for thought. Think it depends mostly on what people like and what they use their rifles for.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
a 5.56 round works the best.

Yep.  As others have said, use the tip of a round to pop out the takedown pin, pivot the upper as far as it will go and then pop out the pivot pin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you really don't need them.  To each thier own, but I think a small plastic punch would work best for you.

Bullet point works.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I have four AR's on three different lower makes.
None of them will not come apart with thumb pressure on the takedown pins.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my YHM pins and recommend them 100%.

My buddy only uses the rear takedown pin.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
damn guys  I'm 120 pounds with small hands  at least half as strong as any of you boys  and there isnt an ar  I yet cant push the two pins out .  I seen taken a knuckle  and tap like a hammer...  one time in the army when my weapon was frozen I used a 5.56 tip  but  oil the darn thing,,,,,,
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Try em out. Don't worry about any others opinion of them here. I carry my rifle apart in a discreet case also when on patrol and have thought about the extended pins myself.

Fortunetly my pins have become easier to move over time, all I have to do is knuckle em out and pull the remaining distance to assemble the rifle.

Off course once my dept. gets racks in the car I will assemble it as soon as I get on the road.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top