Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 2/3/2013 8:32:11 PM EST
This may have been discussed before, but with your kind indulgence, hoping to get some insight from forum members with far more knowledge than I do .

I realize that Remington owns (or used to) both brands, but given the choice between Bushmaster and DPMS, which do you believe to be the better way to go?

I have an opportunity to buy either one in an m4 configuration.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SoloMan
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 8:34:36 PM EST
This thread should be interesting, and you'll probably find that about 50% favor, one, 50% favor the other, and 50% hate them both
Monsterbishi
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 8:40:12 PM EST
DPMS are for people who can't spell Bushmaster ;-)

Flieger
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 8:57:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/3/2013 9:08:01 PM EST by Flieger]
SoloMan,
I took your advice and added a poll. I would still like to get some serious information between to two.
Dannofree
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 9:47:59 PM EST
Get either. For the amount of shooting you'll likely do it won't matter. They are so close as to specs and parts used they might as well sell interchangeably.

The barrels could be different steel. Depending on the model of dpms it might be inferior steel (compaired to the shrubmaster)

Go to the store and finger fuck both rifles. Pick one that feels the best.

There are very real metrics of quality for ARs. Most people won't see the benefit of a higher end rifle, there "need" is up for debate. Some people still want that quality regardless. And in that respect, both bushmaster and dpms fall short. I would choose neither. As I chose to exercise my rights before the fear of infringement took me, I was able to choose. If fear is driving your want for a rifle then buy what ever the fuck you feel like. It didn't matter to you before the panic and it won't after.
Bizzarolibe
ARFCOM's Resident Hipster
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 9:51:43 PM EST
Neither. They are both pretty much bottom of the barrel.

That said, at least Bushmaster made chrome-lining a standard feature, unlike DPMS.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-C.S. Lewis
Willz
Hoisting the black flag...
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/3/2013 10:39:39 PM EST
DPMS Panther cause they're made with bits of real panther, so you know they're good.
""Surely something must be terribly wrong with a man who seems to be far more concerned with a Jew building a house in Israel than with a Muslim building a nuclear bomb in Iran."

762minigun2
He said .... uh .... Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 12:37:37 AM EST
The current Bushmaster, and DPMS are owned by the same parent company these days..
I am the NRA. We got the gun's. We need the numbers. Join the NRA if you have not already done so.
Tire
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:04:30 AM EST
My vote is for the bushmaster.
However, if you are asking a question like this you need to spend a few hours probing the info on this site and see if you can make a better decision for yourself based on other threads and write ups.
My guess is after a little education you will decide that a few hundred more dollars will go a long way into a top tier manufacturer and be money well spent.
Guns are cheap. Dirt cheap
Compared to the cost of ammo (even reloading now ) most Top end guns are going to eat 20k+ rounds before needing anything.
Ammo prices being $300-$400 per k you will have paid for a small house by the time your ready to replace your barrel.
Quoted
Tested
On leave bitches!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:06:05 AM EST
I own both and they are both the same. The DPMS has a better trigger.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

Benjamin Franklin
FennRx
Up-Wing Extremist
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:21:48 AM EST
specs? price?
nhsport
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:44:27 AM EST
Not sure if you are talking new current production guns or older used guns from the period when both companies were independent.

I was never too crazy about DPMS because most of them that I saw around were built down to be the cheapest AR in the gunstore.
Non Chrome lined barrels,cheap stocks ,generally cheap no feature guns.

I never have seen a DPMS at my club range that had quality issues but they were just low end no feature guns.

I have owned several Maine built Bushmaster guns that were just fine (I realise many of the snobs here don't consider them tier 1) and
was always satisfied with fit,finish and general quality.
Medicfrost
I was prepared for this, were you?
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:52:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By SoloMan:
This thread should be interesting, and you'll probably find that about 50% favor, one, 50% favor the other, and 50% hate them both

That's 150%!!!

FlashSuppressor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:09:43 AM EST
You will receive "opinion" out the gazoo. Change out "some" of the parts in the lower of a DPMS and put good sights on it and good ammo in it and it is GTG. I know... I have DD, Spikes, LaRue, Colt and have owned and sold several other "top quality" brands. My two DPMS rifles shoot right there with the best of the best. I did order mine with chrome lined barrels and bores (AP4 and LR-308). Fit and finish on the two that I own are as good as any rifles that I own. They are tight and the lines match like a Mercedes. I have mounted Spikes uppers on the DPMS lowers and they look like they fit just as well as they do on their own mates. I do not own "safe queens". I shoot all of my rifles and have my own private range about 500 yards from where I am typing this. This is just one man's opinion but it is grounded in real world experience.

Flash
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:15:04 AM EST
Bushmaster.

They're essentially the same thing since Freedom Group, as others have pointed out, but the Bushmaster will have higher resale when you decide to arbitrarily "upgrade" a functional rifle when you get sick of getting made fun of on the internet.

~Augee
FlashSuppressor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:18:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Augee:
Bushmaster.

They're essentially the same thing since Freedom Group, as others have pointed out, but the Bushmaster will have higher resale when you decide to arbitrarily "upgrade" a functional rifle when you get sick of getting made fun of on the internet.

~Augee

That's some good stuff right there!

Flash
ar154all
Bikini State
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 4:20:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:

That said, at least Bushmaster made chrome-lining a standard feature, unlike DPMS.

REMF Quartermaster (I have no responsibility what so ever)
"Sergeant in Charge of the Booze."
100% Air Force Brat
Ignore Alien Orders
45ProCarry
Always support the U.S. military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 4:26:16 AM EST
Bushmaster.
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
Bizzarolibe
ARFCOM's Resident Hipster
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 5:46:47 AM EST
Bushmaster.

~Augee

Hey man, we're just looking out for OP
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-C.S. Lewis
Krylancelo
"Parts ain't parts."
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 5:58:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
Bushmaster.

~Augee

Hey man, we're just looking out for OP

Hehehe. As usual, Augee has it right.

I've seen good examples of both company's products. My Bushmaster has been pretty good. My buddy's DPMS has been rock-solid. One example of each though is hardly a good sample size. I don't see many of either at classes when I do them (although I've only been doing about one "nationally known" class a year now) so I can't give much first hand experience of seeing failed guns from either.

Historically, both brands were frowned upon by high round count shooters in the firearms training industry. But, who knows.
KineKilla
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:02:25 AM EST
I have a BM upper on a NFA Aluminum Lower, ALG Combat Trigger and Magpul furniture...no complaints. It has a chrome lined barrel, M4 ramps and shoots very well.

Sure, I would like to have a DD or LaRue but for the price I paid...I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any bullets coming out the front of it.
sceezer36
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:12:39 AM EST
Well I only have owned DPMS. SO kinda bias.
EVERY MAN DIES, NOT EVERY MAN LIVES!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
-Thomas Jefferson
macedan
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:13:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Willz:
DPMS Panther cause they're made with bits of real panther, so you know they're good.

Couldn't help but laugh. Anchorman reference? "it's illeagal in nine countries" lol.
Anyways OP, I would reccommend DPMS as well.
undercoverwookie
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:29:02 AM EST
I have both, the DPMS actually seems to have a better finish, but that's about it. My Bushy is a Windham so I'd take it before my DPMS. Both run fine though. I use DPMS for parts mostly because they are easier to find pre-neutered and I've had surprising results with their barrels.
CaneRat
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:30:06 AM EST
Junk vs. junkier.
Flieger
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:52:20 AM EST
I realize that the two do not honor respect from pompous asses that consider Rock River the bare minimum of acceptability to even be a member of this forum.

If it helps to garner even the slightest amount of respectability, I do own a Sig Sauer
M400.

My income level allows me to afford whatever I want or need, I am blessed for this, but there are some that can not afford to put out for a RRA Pro-Series Elite? Does that mean that forum members should excoriate them?

Bottom line, the gun stores around here are not jam packed with H&K’s, Sig’s, or Rock Rivers, the shelves are empty. I simply wanedt to pick up an extra AR, and these were the two that I could come up with and I wanted some advice from forum members as to which I should buy.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED