User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From the info I am gathering - after my bolt sheared the lugs last Friday on the fourth round down the barrel- there are at least three dealers/distributors that  have used this batch of bolts in their carriers. My question is how many manufacturers make bolts in the US?  Most i can find is six.  Not everyone has the ability to produce bolts( I wouldn't think).  I have heard from two sources that these bolts came from the midwest.  Wonder if that is who made them or coated them?

Can someone post the different manufacturers who has more knowledge than I do

when/from where was your bolt purchased? these shouldnt be spending much time idle on shelves these days.  wondering if we can find similarities.  perhaps bought in dec/jan?  can you say for sure it was the same bolt?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine was purchased in mid-January.
It was a cera-plated bolt.

My situation was covered by this post in another thread:

"These bolts & carriers were machined in the US, by another KS company actually.

The source for these bolts was a new supplier for us, and will not be used for future BCG needs. All past bolts, and future bolts currently ordered will be from entirely different supply chains. We have in the works an "Enhanced" M16 BCG which should be coming down the pipeline soon with a very competitive price.

It does appear some of the bolts, on these Cereplated BCG's, didn't receive proper heat treating which wouldn't be noticeable by the naked eye.

We're working now with the machine shop to get replacement bolts for those that have issues, but as you know, bolts are scarce right now. Sorry for the issues experienced. Not all of them are doing it, so we have no idea how many they affected. We can't tell if it was only 20, or 50, or how many were not properly heat treated.

We do know the bolts affected were more than the batch of 600 we recently received, as other bolts received by other dealers and manufacturers have had issues arise as well. So it's really a crap-shoot unfortunately to know which ones were affected or not.

None of the heat treating defects would have been noticed in test firing since most seem to be breaking in the 20-60 round range with factory loads.

For anyone having any issues we've setup a notification system where you can upload photos, info, etc for replacement bolts:

https://joeboboutfitters.wufoo.com/forms/joeboboutfitters-ceraplate-bcg/

^^^ Fill out this form

We're hoping to have replacements within a few weeks time. Please utilize the above link to notify us if you have any issues.

Sorry for any of those affected by the issue."

I want to commend them for stepping up quickly and making a way for a replacement bolt.  Most of this is covered here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/603032_Joe_Bob_s_Cera_plated_M16_BCG______.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
my bcg that we are speaking of (meputtin from gunbroker) just arrived this morning super fast.  looks to be of decent quality to the eye.  i am going to bench it out on our land and put a hundred rounds through it though just because i feel sketchy.  should i use the reloaded ammo i got from this guy my brother did time with, or the rounds i picked up from the market in peshawar?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

my bcg that we are speaking of (meputtin from gunbroker) just arrived this morning super fast. looks to be of decent quality to the eye. i am going to bench it out on our land and put a hundred rounds through it though just because i feel sketchy. should i use the reloaded ammo i got from this guy my brother did time with, or the rounds i picked up from the market in peshawar?

The replacement BCG I recieved from him last week has been flawless after a few hundred rounds. I'm pretty certain these are from a different batch.

The original one I bought from him was around Christmas.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#5]
thats good to hear you say that.  dave also indicated that. hope its corrected.  thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I think with all of the "mystery" brand bolts and BCG's popping up all over GB, Ebay and elsewhere, I think we are going to see more failures in the upcoming months.

Lesson= Don't buy mystery brands that are not marked in any way, only buy from reputible dealers that sell name brand parts that are made of the proper materials and go through the proper testing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think with all of the "mystery" brand bolts and BCG's popping up all over GB, Ebay and elsewhere, I think we are going to see more failures in the upcoming months.

Lesson= Don't buy mystery brands that are not marked in any way, only buy from reputible dealers that sell name brand parts that are made of the proper materials and go through the proper testing.

I guess reading comprehension is hard to come by these days.

You obviously missed the fact that this was a faulty batch… that are used for multiple brands…  

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lesson=Don't buy mystery brands that are not marked in any way, only buy from reputible dealers that sell name brand parts that are made of the proper materials and go through the proper testing.

You obviously missed the fact that this was a faulty batch… that are used for multiple brands…  

Comprehension is a funny word.

"A guy on gunbroker" isn't a reputable brand. Colt, Stag, CMT, etc, are reputable brands.

They make their own and quality control them. They don't use consumer testing to figure out when a "faulty batch" was produced.

If someone sends out a "faulty batch" that hurts their reputation, a.k.a. not a reputable manufacturer.

Only buy from reputable vendors that use reputable manufacturers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lesson=Don't buy mystery brands that are not marked in any way, only buy from reputible dealers that sell name brand parts that are made of the proper materials and go through the proper testing.

"A guy on gunbroker" isn't a reputable brand. Colt, Stag, CMT, etc, are reputable brands.

They make their own and quality control them. They don't use consumer testing to figure out when a "faulty batch" was produced.

If someone sends out a "faulty batch" that hurts their reputation, a.k.a. not a reputable manufacturer.

I agree

Thats why I only use bolts from Colt ,LMT,CMT

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Poor heat treat or wrong steel.
Like most parts they are contracted out and the buyer makes the spec. Some companies haveordered bolts made from 4140. Once in a while those might slip into another company's order.... remember Del-Ton?  These no name ones are probably just ordering the cheapest thing thwy can get from the machine shops and putting them out to make a cheap buck.

IIRC, all current Del-Ton bolts are MP marked. (A lot of AR "manufacturers" have started marking their bolts)

There's no markings on this bolt. Which limits possible sources by quite a few.

Actually Del-tons shit is now MPI/HPT marked and is Carpenter 158 Steel. Del-Ton has really upped there game. Thought I would set that record straight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick update.  I just got off the phone with the owner of the shop that sold me the bolt.  He was very apoligetic about this whole situation and he claimed that all his part have a no bullshit lifetime gaurantee.  He hasn't seen anything like this and wants to inspect the bolt to make sure he finds a solution to the problem.  He said he would overnight a complete replacement as he deals with a single manufacturer to build these for him.

I must say that he is handling the situation like a professional should.  I am still a little nervous about installing the bolt in my rifle and want to speak to him some more about where/how he's getting these BCG's built.  With the amount of positive feedback he has, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt in the fact that he does indeed seel quality items and just let this slip through QC...

Anyways, I thought i would let you guys know.  I'll keep updating as I get more information.

Dude, just demand a refund and be done with it.  I wouldn't risk a replacement.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree

Thats why I only use bolts from Colt ,LMT,CMT

No BCM love?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick update.  I just got off the phone with the owner of the shop that sold me the bolt.  He was very apoligetic about this whole situation and he claimed that all his part have a no bullshit lifetime gaurantee.  He hasn't seen anything like this and wants to inspect the bolt to make sure he finds a solution to the problem.  He said he would overnight a complete replacement as he deals with a single manufacturer to build these for him.

I must say that he is handling the situation like a professional should.  I am still a little nervous about installing the bolt in my rifle and want to speak to him some more about where/how he's getting these BCG's built.  With the amount of positive feedback he has, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt in the fact that he does indeed seel quality items and just let this slip through QC...

Anyways, I thought i would let you guys know.  I'll keep updating as I get more information.

Dude, just demand a refund and be done with it.  I wouldn't risk a replacement.

Reading comprehension…  How does it work?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The Feds have warned about this as a weakness in the AR Platform and that's why they suggest a round count on a mil-spec bolt:

If you shoot an AR enough, you may see it yourself:

Keep spares in your kit. Best quality you can afford.
NOT used mil/spec m16 bolts sold off as scrap!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a BIG difference in failures between what the OP posted and the images you posted. PLUS, those bolts you posted are high round count bolts.

But I definitely agree that everyone should have spare bolt. I have plenty, but I have yet to break one (I only use quality bolts)

Quoted:
The Feds have warned about this as a weakness in the AR Platform and that's why they suggest a round count on a mil-spec bolt:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/bolt.jpg
If you shoot an AR enough, you may see it yourself:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/BroeknBoltII.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/TwinFailures.jpg

Keep spares in your kit. Best quality you can afford.
NOT used mil/spec m16 bolts sold off as scrap!!!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/BrokenBolt.jpg

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Received my replacement today. Thank you JoeBob.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
NM
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top