Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2013 1:55:29 AM EDT
If someone buys an 80% lower, but doesn't have the access to the machinery to finish it, can you bring it to a machinist and have them do it? Does the legality of transferring an 80% lower change once it is finished or is it always not in the FFL requirement category? Also, if I wanted to do some custom engraving on the mag well and stuff like that, would it be better to buy a raw one and then do the engraving before I have it finished/coated or should I buy an already finished/coated 80% lower and then do the engraving after the finish? Im just curious if something like a NP3 finish would fill in the engraving and therefore cover it up or at least make it hard to see. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If someone buys an 80% lower, but doesn't have the access to the machinery to finish it, can you bring it to a machinist and have them do it? Does the legality of transferring an 80% lower change once it is finished or is it always not in the FFL requirement category? Also, if I wanted to do some custom engraving on the mag well and stuff like that, would it be better to buy a raw one and then do the engraving before I have it finished/coated or should I buy an already finished/coated 80% lower and then do the engraving after the finish? Im just curious if something like a NP3 finish would fill in the engraving and therefore cover it up or at least make it hard to see. Thanks.

The answer is no. You could use their machines, but you would have to actually perform the work yourself. Any company who would finish the lower for you would have to have the correct licenses for manufacturing among others.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If You want to have a lower to engrave and add to I would look at the McKay Lowers.
They have minimal markings.

A 80% lower has to be finished Yourself.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer is no. You could use their machines, but you would have to actually perform the work yourself. Any company who would finish the lower for you would have to have the correct licenses for manufacturing among others.

Not entirely true. You can bring a 80% lower to a machine shop that already did all the back end programming needed. From there in order for it to be legal you need to push the Go button that starts the milling. At that point the work being done is work you initiated.

Just make sure you are the one that pushes any start button and you're covered.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not entirely true. You can bring a 80% lower to a machine shop that already did all the back end programming needed. From there in order for it to be legal you need to push the Go button that starts the milling. At that point the work being done is work you initiated.

Just make sure you are the one that pushes any start button and you're covered.

this is why I love laws. They can often be easily overcome. Either way, I have ultimately decided to forget the whole 80% receiver option. However one thing I am kind of surprised about is that CNN and Piers DOUCHEBAG Morgan hasn't mentioned the whole 80% lower receiver "loophole." I think its halarious every time he is on air yelling, whats the difference between a machine gun and a semi-automatic AR 15 with a 100 round magazine? Every gun knowledgeable person watching just loses respect for him every time he says it...

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A 80% lower has to be finished Yourself.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top