Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2012 1:26:00 PM EDT
Could someone please post pics of the various hand grips on a Colt AR.  The reason I ask is I have read where there are skinny and fat ones.  I believe that the skinny ones were on SP1's?  I am wanting to know only about factory Colt models.  Thanks in advance, if this is the wrong forum please move to the correct one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Could someone please post pics of the various hand grips on a Colt AR.  The reason I ask is I have read where there are skinny and fat ones.  I believe that the skinny ones were on SP1's?  I am wanting to know only about factory Colt models.  Thanks in advance, if this is the wrong forum please move to the correct one.

Could you clarify your question, are you looking for rifle or carbine Colt factory handguards?

The skinny and fat round/ oval section ones are the carbines, skinny are the original and the fat are M4 type current issue/ production.

There's some pics here in the Retro AR forum USGI Colt Carbine tacked thread, if you want to see rifle handguards see the USGI Colt M16 Series Variation Guide tacked thread.

USGI Colt Carbine Parts Variation Guide - tacked thread link

Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hand grips, I know the difference between the oval and round forearms.  I was asking if this applied to the hand/pistol grips.  I may have just misread what an earlier post said but I thought he mentioned there being slim profile hand/pistol grips too.  If I'm wrong just let me know! Thank you for that hyperlink.  It was helpful with some other questions that I had.  It does not show pistol grip variances so there may not be any.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe all Colt has ever used are either A1 or A2 pistol grips. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny this or you could just post in the Colt industry forum.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
thank you
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hand grips, I know the difference between the oval and round forearms.  I was asking if this applied to the hand/pistol grips.  I may have just misread what an earlier post said but I thought he mentioned there being slim profile hand/pistol grips too.  If I'm wrong just let me know! Thank you for that hyperlink.  It was helpful with some other questions that I had.  It does not show pistol grip variances so there may not be any.

There are width differences with the original A1 pistol grips, generally we only thought that there are two types, skinny and fat versions but there is a third version which is skinny bottom.

Here's an archived link of a good thread with dimensions.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/547301_A1_Grip_Variations.html

Link Posted: 12/30/2012 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding............. thats what I was looking for.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
There's also a difference in A-2 grips..

I'm beginning to wonder if some of them are made in China.

Colt A-2 grips are different feeling. They are fatter, and fill your hand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's also a difference in A-2 grips..

I'm beginning to wonder if some of them are made in China.

Colt A-2 grips are different feeling. They are fatter, and fill your hand.

Agreed. Colt A2 grips feel a bit thicker and I believe actually are (grip walls) than typical commercial copies. I have had Stag and DD A2 grips and they feel slightly cheaper. The only other A2 grip that I have held that compares to the Colt is that on my FN SCAR, which shows similar wall thickness.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top