Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:34:50 PM
A couple of buddies and I are going hunting up in Utah in January. I'm fully expecting the weather to be horrible, but at the very least I know that where we're going it's going to be pretty cold. I grew up in Texas and have never really done too much cold weather shooting, so I don't have much experience with lube for cold weather. I currently use CLP and am wondering if that will work well for the cold, or if I should transition to something else. We'll be doing quite a bit of hiking in, so it would have to deal with a lot of exposure to the cold without gumming up for when I need it. Any suggestions?
Alaska511
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:37:48 PM
I just use Rem Lube synthetic spray when it gets cold
EdgecrusherXES_45
You will refer to me as Awesome!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:41:30 PM
Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic.
I was born an AR in my hands. Behind the gun I will make my final stand, and that is why they call me .... bad company I cannot deny.... Bad company till the day I die.
Aggie_Gunner
Evil Oil Executive
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:47:48 PM
I've heard that powdered graphite or similar solid lube is best in REALLY cold situations. I have no experience with this, personally, however.
I have a compulsion for firearms and martial arts; other than that I'm pretty non-violent...

Smart as a horse, and hung like Einstein...
EdgecrusherXES_45
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:48:33 PM
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
I've heard that powdered graphite or similar solid lube is best in REALLY cold situations. I have no experience with this, personally, however.

Do not use graphite in an AR!! Bad idea!
I was born an AR in my hands. Behind the gun I will make my final stand, and that is why they call me .... bad company I cannot deny.... Bad company till the day I die.
jdredskinsfan
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:50:32 PM
I've heard pretty good things about the mobil 1, anything I need to know specifically about applying it? Or do I just apply it like normal lube after I clean my rifle?
QuicksilverJPR
Multi-Caliber!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:53:27 PM

Pretty sure that would be a big no no....
Amazingkg3
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:56:41 PM
I would like to know as well. We are about to start using carbines up here in North Alberta where it sits around -22F all winter. So it'll be sitting in a patrol cruiser freezing.
WI57
Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:01:06 PM
Clp has always worked for me, even in extreme cold.

Another good cold weather lube is LAW.
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
Its the guy that just walks in and just starts shooting.
RobNC
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:01:23 PM
CLP should work. IRRC it is/was spec'd to -50 F. I've used it down to around 0 in high mountain desert regions without issue. When I was at Camp Pettawawa (sp?) in Ontario with the Canadian Airborne Regiment (RIP) in '94 they and we used standard CLP.

Good luck,
Rob
QuicksilverJPR
Multi-Caliber!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:03:51 PM
Originally Posted By RobNC:
CLP should work. IRRC it is/was spec'd to -50 F. I've used it down to around 0 in high mountain desert regions without issue. When I was at Camp Pettawawa (sp?) in Ontario with the Canadian Airborne Regiment (RIP) in '94 they and we used standard CLP.

Good luck,
Rob

I thought it was -20F, but I could be wrong.

Mobil1 in several flavors would work down to -40F pretty well....
jdredskinsfan
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:04:05 PM
Good to hear about the CLP, too. Like I mentioned, it's what I use now and I haven't had any issues, I've just also never used it when it's really cold out.
Always_Learning
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:06:54 PM
Whats wrong with Super Lube? I read a thread on here a while back showing it outperformed Frog Lube by leaps and bounds.
ricochet7
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:24:32 PM
I used Mobil 1 * 10w30 for late season high mountain hunting, down to -15'/-20'F with zero problems, while a buddies bolt froze/gummed up (he used RemOil).
This was in the 90's so the RemOil may have changed formulas since. I'd probably go 0w-30 now.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. " - Bill Cosby
"Hell is empty and all the devils are here" -William Shakespeare (The Tempest)
Aggie_Gunner
Evil Oil Executive
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:31:51 PM
Originally Posted By QuicksilverJPR:

Why? Help the ignorant please...

- AG
I have a compulsion for firearms and martial arts; other than that I'm pretty non-violent...

QuicksilverJPR
Multi-Caliber!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:36:18 PM

- AG

Graphite is abrasive/can break down aluminum, and can cause it to corrode when it comes into contact with other moisture (especially sweat and such)....
Aggie_Gunner
Evil Oil Executive
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 3:07:01 PM

- AG

Graphite is abrasive/can break down aluminum, and can cause it to corrode when it comes into contact with other moisture (especially sweat and such)....

I didn't think that graphite was abrasive... hell it is used as a lubricant. Plus, if graphite (carbon) were corrosive/ broke down aluminum, why wouldn't powder fouling do the same?

Not trying to be a wise ass, this just sounds like internet rumor to me.

- AG

uxo2
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 3:27:22 PM
Originally Posted By WI57:

BF CLP or Slip 2000 EWL..

Gun oil for guns.....

EOTW....or no more CLP....

Ill use mobil...better than nothing

and Froglube is a no go

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
George Patton

QuicksilverJPR
Multi-Caliber!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 3:36:29 PM

- AG

I didn't think that graphite was abrasive... hell it is used as a lubricant. Plus, if graphite (carbon) were corrosive/ broke down aluminum, why wouldn't powder fouling do the same?

- AG

I have as yet to research the topic on the internet, but now that you mention it, I think I will check it out....
chibajoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 3:46:44 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic 0W - [whatever is cheapest].
EdgecrusherXES_45
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 4:02:02 PM

- AG

- AG

Graphite has been used as lubrication but at the same time the structure of graphite makes it very strong and can be abrasive. Graphite is very similar in structure to diamond and carbon nanotubes.
Barman84
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 4:11:38 PM
Mobil 1!!!!

its easy to apply clean and dip...

I keep my left over oil from the bottom of my jugs after I change my oil it give it all a light coat on the BCG it works fantastic cold or hot.
PFC
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 4:56:24 PM
Graphite absorbs moisture and clumps together; also there is a potential corrosion problem with dissimilar metals, in this case steel and aluminum, which graphite can exacerbate.
imjb1911
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 5:58:54 PM
Super lube is good to - 45┬░
Alexville
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 6:05:22 PM
Originally Posted By uxo2:
Originally Posted By WI57:

BF CLP or Slip 2000 EWL..

Gun oil for guns.....

EOTW....or no more CLP....

Ill use mobil...better than nothing

and Froglube is a no go

Froglube says it is rated to -40 degrees. Is this not so?
tbougie1
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/5/2012 6:14:46 PM
Make sure your rifles are super clean...you can use less lube. I rep a race oil line and use their Hotrod synthetic..BTW I am in ND...bring your mittens!!!
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2