Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2012 4:32:52 PM EDT
Are these good to go? I've heard that CMT supplies parts to Colt, Noveske, LMT and other top notch brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean their BCG's are something to write home about. So, three questions:

1. What companies use CMT BCG's? (if any)

2. Where does CMT rank in the broad scheme of top notch BCG's, like BCM?

3. Who makes BCM's BCG's? (if known)
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are these good to go? I've heard that CMT supplies parts to Colt, Noveske, LMT and other top notch brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean their BCG's are something to write home about. So, three questions:

Answers:

Don't know, don't know, don't know, and nobody can tell you with absolute certainty.

Are CMT parts "good to go"? YES.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure BCM makes their own. I could be wrong so hopefully someone rose that knows for sure chimes in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that's good to know haha

I'm gonna snag one on monday
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I do not know the answers to all your questions, but believe Stag is part of the CMT group.
I also remember a few years ago, CMT offered full auto and semi-auto carriers- no problem, both were quality.
They also offered bolts that were HP/MPI tested and non-tested. There was a small upcharge for the tested bolts.
This does not mean one is better than the other, many prefer HP/MPI as do I.
I owned both in the past, and they served me well- I am not current on if this is still their practice.
I believe most companies only list CMT in HP/MP now, should be easy to verify. CMT is big, probably do make for other companies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do not know the answers to all your questions, but believe Stag is part of the CMT group.
I also remember a few years ago, CMT offered full auto and semi-auto carriers- no problem, both were quality.
They also offered bolts that were HP/MPI tested and non-tested. There was a small upcharge for the tested bolts.
This does not mean one is better than the other, many prefer HP/MPI as do I.
I owned both in the past, and they served me well- I am not current on if this is still their practice.
I believe most companies only list CMT in HP/MP now, should be easy to verify. CMT is big, probably do make for other companies.

Well from what I've been able to gather, Stag is the commercial, civilian part of CMT . Not sure if this is accurate or not.

The site i'm looking at doesn't specify if the bolt is HP/MPI or not, so I'll shoot them an email and see.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By member boltcatch:
Top to bottom, BCG pulled from a new Sabre Defence upper, CMT M16 BCG, and RRA enhanced carrier.
Ref. thread: Proper Staking of Carrier Key Screws - content link

Note that this was in 2006 the CMT at the middle have a very bad carrier key staking, not sure if they are properly staked now, I had one and I bought a new BCM gas key kit and I installed it and properly side staked it.

Here's some examples of properly side staked auto carriers, Colt at left the rest are LMT vintage pre-MIM gas keys.

Quoted:

Answers:

1. Stag uses CMT BCG and all other AR parts.

2. CMT BCG are batch tested HPT & MPI same as other commercial type manufacturers.

3. BCM, Colt, and AR Performance BCG have the same manufacturer.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/boltcatch/carriers.jpg
Top to bottom, BCG pulled from a new Sabre Defence upper, CMT M16 BCG, and RRA enhanced carrier.

Note that this was in 2006 the CMT at the middle have a very bad carrier key staking, not sure if they are properly staked now, I had one and I bought a new BCM gas key kit and I installed it and properly side staked it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting%20Tech/COLT_l_LMT_M_LMT_R-stake-L197-2-1.jpg
Here's some examples of properly side staked auto carriers, Colt at left the rest are LMT vintage pre-MIM gas keys.

Quoted:

Answers:

2. CMT BCG are batch tested HPT & MPI same as other commercial type manufacturers.

No, he makes his own bolts.....easy to verify......see AR-P super bolts.
He buys his carriers.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My CMT gas keys were staked pretty fairly well, maybe a little light compared to some, but adequate (from somewhere in 96-97 or so).

And this is quoted from Ranier arms site, I had it somewhere else also:

Product Information

CMT / STAG Arms 5.56 Bolt

STAG Arms replacement bolt. MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) checks for surface cracks and defects that could not be seen by the human eye. So the parts that are most prone to failure (bolt & barrel) should be double checked by this process. Not all CMT bolts are MPI tested. You can choose between Standard or MPI tested bolts below.

*MPI Bolt Pictured

Edit for clarity
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That helps a little, thanks Alpha!

And what makes me think something is a little off with the AR world is that Colt, BCM, and AR performance BCG's are $180, $160, and $125, from each of their respective websites... So if what you say is true, which seems legit from what I've learned about actual "manufacturers" recently, then why pay more for the SAME EXACT THING?!
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My CMT gas keys were staked pretty well, maybe a little light compared to some, but adequate (from somewhere in 96-97 or so).

And this is quoted from Ranier arms site, I had it somewhere else also:

Product Information

CMT / STAG Arms 5.56 Bolt

STAG Arms replacement bolt. MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) checks for surface cracks and defects that could not be seen by the human eye. So the parts that are most prone to failure (bolt & barrel) should be double checked by this process. Not all CMT bolts are MPI tested. You can choose between Standard or MPI tested bolts below.

*MPI Bolt Pictured

I just saw that while doing some google searching
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure BCM makes their own. I could be wrong so hopefully someone rose that knows for sure chimes in.

BCM DOES NOT manufacture their own bcg's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks sir, do you happen to know which company makes them?
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago (non-BCM laser etched logo) they were CMT bcg's manufactured to BCM specs. I have no idea who makes the current examples for them.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago (non-BCM laser etched logo) they were CMT bcg's manufactured to BCM specs. I have no idea who makes the current examples for them.

Semper Fi!

That's interesting to know

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't matter if they make parts for other companies or not.  Those companies tell CMT how they want those parts made.  What steel, what tolerances, what hardness, everything else.  They could make 7 different types of bolts for 5 companies.  It's what they spec for themselves that's important.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
There are three USGI bcg manufacturers,   CMT ,FN, Larue.    USGI are all MP,HP  tested.
CMT commecial bolts are only batch tested,  some vendors may order theirs tested or test themselves.  The manufacturing ,material and process is the same as USGI.

RRA used to be all CMT commercial, now I don't know.  But I would buy RRA simply because I trust their quality rigor.

Bcgs are not hard to make, many small machine shop do it.   To what quality, consistency is unknowable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are three USGI bcg manufacturers,   CMT ,FN, Larue.    USGI are all MP,HP  tested.
CMT commecial bolts are only batch tested,  some vendors may order theirs tested or test themselves.  The manufacturing ,material and process is the same as USGI.

RRA used to be all CMT commercial, now I don't know.  But I would buy RRA simply because I trust their quality rigor.

Bcgs are not hard to make, many small machine shop do it.   To what quality, consistency is unknowable.

Well that sums that up I  guess
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huh? RRA is your choice?

OP, get a BCM and call it a day. They were in stock last night.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As opposed to CMT for what reason? Just because? Or is there a legit reason?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to CMT for what reason? Just because? Or is there a legit reason?

Buy once, cry once, quality, and a proven performer.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But apparently CMT makes BCM's BCG's....
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They made them at one point. None of my most recent BCM bcgs appear to be CMT.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How can you tell?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell?

My bolts aren't marked "CM" anymore. The last several that I've purchased in the last year or two haven't been.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be a Toolcraft carrier and an FN bolt.
Could be a Toolcraft carrier and a CMT bolt.
Could be all FN.
Could be all CMT.

The important thing is the BCM BCG has been built to BCM specs, has passed BCM QC and is backed by BCM.

Vendors are not keen on revealing sources 100% of the time because it can be intel that they don't care to share with their competitors.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#28]
so who makes PSA m-16 BCGs?  CMT, FN?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so who makes PSA m-16 BCGs?  CMT, FN?

See above post.

PSA is physically close to FN so maybe they're all FN.
I think Toolcraft is close as well. But they only make carriers........

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

PSA is physically close to FN so maybe they're all FN.
I think Toolcraft is close as well. But they only make carriers........

I've heard that Toolcraft makes the carrier groups for FN, who then sells them to PSA.

I heard this from a couple people, but it's nothing more than speculation until confirmed
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if they make parts for other companies or not.  Those companies tell CMT how they want those parts made.  What steel, what tolerances, what hardness, everything else.  They could make 7 different types of bolts for 5 companies.  It's what they spec for themselves that's important.

Ding ding ding!

Seriously.  

CMT would make me a bolt out of recycled coat hangers if I spec'ed them and paid enough money for them to make them.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding!

Seriously.  

CMT would make me a bolt out of recycled coat hangers if I spec'ed them and paid enough money for them to make them.  

~Augee

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding ding!

Seriously.  

~Augee

There's the answer to all these questions.

Just when an end user somewhere reports an "identifying mark" on a private labeled BCG component, that vendor then has to switch manufacturers for whatever reason...price, availability, etc etc.
So then the Secret Squirrel detective work has to start all over again.

Not worth it.
Just buy what's been working.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Answers:

No, he makes his own bolts.....easy to verify......see AR-P super bolts.
He buys his carriers.

I'm not talking about AR Performance's 9310 steel superbolts, my reply is about their M16 complete mil-spec bolt carrier group BCG (ref. $125) which is the topic of this thread.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Bolt carrier on lathe at the Colt factory

Ref: Behind the Scenes at Colt - Guns & Ammo article link

Quoted:
That helps a little, thanks Alpha!

And what makes me think something is a little off with the AR world is that Colt, BCM, and AR performance BCG's are $180, $160, and $125, from each of their respective websites... So if what you say is true, which seems legit from what I've learned about actual "manufacturers" recently, then why pay more for the SAME EXACT THING?!

I would also add that Colt also makes their own BCG as you could see from this article's pic.

I have mostly Colt brand AR, also have LMT and BCM BCG, I would not mind also getting the AR Performance std M16 BCG, Daniel Defense, Rainier Arms-GTS Thunder Bolt, LaRue, & FN.

Just get the good known brand with the lowest price and that's available in stock.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting%20Tech/COLT_l_LMT_M_LMT_R-stake-L197-2-1.jpg

Quoted:

Answers:

From Stag website ,"Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel ".
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Answers:

From Stag website ,"Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel ".

Stag sells two kinds of bolts, the standard batch tested and the Plus Package which are individually HPT & MPI tested.

The extra cost of the Plus Package for a rifle if purchased with a rifle: $100, when package purchased with an upper half: $75.00.

Quoted from the Stag website:

In addition to our standard features listed above the Plus Package includes:

- 4150 CMV barrel steel chrome lined
- 1/7 Twist rifling
- Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
- M-16 Bolt Carrier

- Heavy (H) buffer assembly
- One extra 30rd USGI Magazine (two total)*

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I would also add that Colt also makes their own BCG as you could see from this article's pic.

I have mostly Colt brand AR, also have LMT and BCM BCG, I would not mind also getting the AR Performance std M16 BCG, Daniel Defense, Rainier Arms-GTS Thunder Bolt, LaRue, & FN.

Just get the good known brand with the lowest price and that's available in stock.

Would CMT not be considered in the good known brand?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would CMT not be considered in the good known brand?

CMT is one of the good known brand except for the gas key staking issue, from the last 7 years that I had seen here in these AR forums I had not noticed any serious problems reported by other members.

I bought one in 2005 with the bad staking job that I posted earlier and I repaired and sold it, would I buy another one, sure I would buy it if they have proper staking now, but without HPT and MPI testing I would only use it for my sporting AR, however I would not use it for my home defense/ SHTF carbines.

I would consider Stag's Plus Package BCG for my defensive use but per their site they're only available with the purchase of a complete rifle or a complete upper half.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Well the site that I planned on buying from increased the price since I checked this morning by $10 for no apparent reason. Now $10 is no big deal, but that's another $10 closer to a BCM BCG, plus, if it's price gauging then I don't want to support them anyway. So i'm passing
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Just because it's from the same contractor, it's NOT the same exact thing.

Remember when Delton had bolts breaking a few years ago?  Their contractor accidentally slipped in some bolts that were made from a weaker steel.  Why do you think their contractor had those weaker bolts in the first place?  Because another of their customers specced it.

It does not matter who they make parts for.  Let me clarify that for you... It doesn't matter who they make parts for.  It might show they know how to make good parts, but it doesn't mean they are using the same specs for stuff they make under their own name.  Some of those specs that make the known good companies good costs a lot of money.  All that testing isn't cheap.  It's why Colt, BCM, LMT, etc cost more.  All that matters is how they make the parts under their own name.

Hell, the company that makes the bolt groups for Hesse/Vulcan/whatever they are this week could probably make some fine bolts if they were paid to do so.

Now, having said all that, CMT does in fact make a good product.  No real problems that I know of.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Remember when Delton had bolts breaking a few years ago?  Their contractor accidentally slipped in some bolts that were made from a weaker steel.  Why do you think their contractor had those weaker bolts in the first place?  Because another of their customers specced it.

It does not matter who they make parts for.  Let me clarify that for you... It doesn't matter who they make parts for.  It might show they know how to make good parts, but it doesn't mean they are using the same specs for stuff they make under their own name.  Some of those specs that make the known good companies good costs a lot of money.  All that testing isn't cheap.  It's why Colt, BCM, LMT, etc cost more.  All that matters is how they make the parts under their own name.

Hell, the company that makes the bolt groups for Hesse/Vulcan/whatever they are this week could probably make some fine bolts if they were paid to do so.

Now, having said all that, CMT does in fact make a good product.  No real problems that I know of.

well if I were a manufacturer and distributor like CMT, I would want my name on the best product that I can possibly make.  But then again, that's just a lonely ole simpleton talking. I'm sure their bolts are fine, but since the price increased, i'm just gonna go to BCM.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Hi all had to chime in I live and CT and try to get most of my stuff from Stag. Call them and they will sell just about anything they make. I have gotten there plus package parts separate from them. As for them making bcg for others they make parts for some of the so called top tier boys but they will not say who. I trust there parts and will buy from them again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well if I were a manufacturer and distributor like CMT, I would want my name on the best product that I can possibly make.  But then again, that's just a lonely ole simpleton talking. I'm sure their bolts are fine, but since the price increased, i'm just gonna go to BCM.

If I were them, I'd want my name brand to be very good, since they sell to other manufacturers and manufacturers tend to only want to buy from places that make good stuff.  However, there are companies that just want cheap shit no matter who makes it.  They are the companies that specced 4150 steel for their bolts a few years ago, and used the same machine shop that also made the bolts for Delton when Delton had all those bolt lugs shearing off.   Somehow the crap ones made it into the somewhat better quality order.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top