Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2012 7:09:52 AM EDT
Ive got an Armilite M15, and got some debris in the action. The bolt didnt close all the way and as I hit the FA, it did nothing.

Anyway, unloaded, stripped, and cleaned the gun. I removed the stock, and put the bolt in various out of battery positions, and the FA never did anything.

What gives...is it just for show?
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your BCG have notches on the FA side?  If not the FA won't be nearly as useful.  After that are you giving it a decent handshake or barely pushing it?  IF those don't help you'll need someone that knows more than me to come along.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does your BCG have notches on the FA side?

Yup. And Im hitting it hard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
have you taken the forward assist button and pin off? maybe it broke..
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does your BCG have notches on the FA side?

Yup. And Im hitting it hard.

You are outside what I know then.  I'll be interested to hear what the ultimate fix on this is...
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ive got an Armilite M15, and got some debris in the action. The bolt didnt close all the way and as I hit the FA, it did nothing.

Why would you do this in the first place? Probably be better off heading signs
look inside the upper and see of the tooth of the F/ is missing

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Anyway, unloaded, stripped, and cleaned the gun. I removed the stock, and put the bolt in various out of battery positions, and the FA never did anything.

What gives...is it just for show?

It may be possible that the FA was installed 180 degrees out of phase.
Here's a pic that shows the profile of the FA "hook"
The right side in the pic should face the carrier.

Look inside the receiver and verify.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8688/forwardassist.jpg

I dont think you can do that as there is only room on one side to get the pin in

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8688/forwardassist.jpg

I dont think you can do that as there is only room on one side to get the pin in

Yeah, I believe you're right.
I just looked at one.

Could be that the pawl spring is fouled.
Easy to reach in and check pawl (hook) spring action.

Forward Assist assembly

Also, as mentioned above, the carrier must have scallop cuts for the pawl to engage.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#10]
[/quote]Why would you do this in the first place? [/quote]

You mean using the forward assist? Thats the intended use last time I checked...thought it might have been a little gummed up or something.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the helpful replies...Ill take her down tonight when I get home.

Regards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you overlooking why the bolt isn't closing in the first place? You mentioned debris, is there some debris up in the chamber? I'd be a little nervous if I had taken on some debris then couldn't get the bolt closed. Crud in a barrel can have some un-happy consequences.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a sort of similar situation, found the bolt/gas tube were the culprets.

I was using a set-screw gas block, which eventually shifted since the barrel hadn't been dimpled.  The gase tube actually had move slightly, under enough pressure, the gas tube eventually came out, and jammed itself with the bolt.  Might not be the problem exactly, but check the gas key connection to the tube inside.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for the helpful replies...Ill take her down tonight when I get home.

Regards.

Take bolt carrier assembly out, look down inside upper receiver, compress Forward Assist, is it protruding from its housing into the receiver? It should slightly protrude into the main upper receiver where it would otherwise contact the bolt carrier. If no, then, its the Forward Assist mechanism. Dis - assemble the Forward Assist mechanism, you need a punch to remove the pin.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
YES! The forward assist is only there for decoration.

I do not believe in using it, because if my bolt isn't closing properly, there is likely a problem somewhere else.

Many people have blown up their guns, etc by "hitting the forward assist", and forcing their gun to do something bad.

Check your ammunition and upper components...If you're gun wont close, then something's wrong, and beating your forward assist will only compound the problem!

Be careful you must, young Padawan...

~WTS
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
This may be a silly question and I'm not able to check mine at the moment but is it possible to put the bolt in 180 degrees out? (Not the carrier but the bolt) If it's possible, the lugs may not match the chamber cuts.

I've never tried it so it may not be possible. I've always been careful to ensure that the bolt was properly aligned and not in wrong.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This may be a silly question and I'm not able to check mine at the moment but is it possible to put the bolt in 180 degrees out? (Not the carrier but the bolt) If it's possible, the lugs may not match the chamber cuts.

I've never tried it so it may not be possible. I've always been careful to ensure that the bolt was properly aligned and not in wrong.

Pretty sure the cam pin won't fit with the bolt turned the wrong way.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#18]
It is not a complicated mechanism. If I had to guess you are not pushing it hard enough or there is something wrong with your rifle and I doubt it would be the FA. The only time I really use the FA is to chamber the first round when I am loading my HD rifle indoors. Actually had a H TAP round slam fire in my kitchen, that was interesting
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

no

read the TM or you manual

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Be careful you must, young Padawan...

Thanks Yoda, but I wish I was young again.

The FA is still spring loaded, but does not protrude past the diameter of the bolt carrier when pushed. I presume the bit is missing/broken. I will drift the pin out tonight and get a close look.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

no

read the TM or you manual  

Thanks to you and Scott for your replies. I suspected it wasn't possible and now I know for sure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top