User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Colt LE6920 looks like a pretty good rifle. I want to go to some of the local Gun Shops around here and see what they have. Price does mean a lot when it comes to picking out a rifle. I just don't have a ton of money around. Stag and PSA are both within my price range though the Colt LE9620 does look like a good AR. Can it accept higher capacity magazines? All the ones I am seeing only come with 20 round magazines.

I couldn't resist the 6920 at Walmart, so put it on layaway and told my wife that is my Christmas present :-)

It comes with 20 round mags, but will take the larger 30 round mags as any other AR.  I already have a Bushmaster, but have always wanted to own a Colt, the Walmart deal made it a no brainer for me.

ETA: Page 3 own age!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the earlier poster that recommended the S&W Sport model.  This answers your original question.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]
In the Colt budget range (ie around 1k). I personally prefer BCM or Daniel Defense. I think that either one is going to have a little better attention to details than Colt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Stag is a great option. The stag "plus" package is also a plus. If I had to do it all over again id still buy the stag.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If I could only have 1 AR it would be between a colt 6920 or an LMT standard patrol and I would get whichever I could find cheaper.  I find it amazing that to this point LMT hasn't even been mentioned.

I am sure it has been said but you will get recommended every flavor of the week (and there has been a lot of them).  In the end buy what you want, but being new to ARs you probably don't even know what you want because of all the options. You think you know, but you really probably don't know what you don't know.  Something as simple as a quad rail has dozens of choices, each with a different diameter, differ wayto mount and on and on.  Stocks, grips, flash supressors, optics, forward grips, rail covers, sights and on and on.....

I've got a shelf full of stuff I knew I needed, collected over the years and found I didn't need or didn't like or found something similar but better.  Also it would serve you well to spend some time reading this site and talking to people that a knowledgable about ARs.  You aren't even sure what mags an AR will take so you really needs to spend some learning before you pull the buy trigger.

We were all there once.  Learn from mine and others mistakes.  Guns stores are a good place to look at guns.  Very hit and miss about knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
for the best bang for the buck and I would consider to be tremendously better than entry level is the Colt Magpul edition carbine $1,265.00 G&R tactical.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
At $995 why would you not purchase the 6920? The "entry level" AR thing gets me every time. "Entry Level" translates to compromise. With prices almost equal b/w levels of quality why waste your money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Del-Ton
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Del-Ton

Why?
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At $995 why would you not purchase the 6920? The "entry level" AR thing gets me every time. "Entry Level" translates to compromise. With prices almost equal b/w levels of quality why waste your money.

Colt 6920 for $995 or PSA Patrolman's Carbine with Aimpoint Pro for $999 when they run their special - which is often. Tough call there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt 6920 for $995 or PSA Patrolman's Carbine with Aimpoint Pro for $999 when they run their special - which is often. Tough call there.

^...PSA. Comes with the MBUIS, optic, case. Walmart sells the Colt for $1095.00, I was just there and bought a few bricks of .22LR ammo and checked out prices. Really all you need is an extra mag or two and some ammo and your set. The Colt comes bare-bone.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311108121

This one looks like a good deal, plus they have layaway so that is a good option. I just want a good reliable AR-15 to start with. I can always add stuff like optics and other mounts later. Like I have said before, cosmetics means little to nothing to me, I have seen some pretty beat up M4s before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311108121

This one looks like a good deal, plus they have layaway so that is a good option. I just want a good reliable AR-15 to start with. I can always add stuff like optics and other mounts later. Like I have said before, cosmetics means little to nothing to me, I have seen some pretty beat up M4s before.

Although I was not new to firearms when I joined this site, I was new to the AR. In my spare time I read this site several hours a week for months until I was comfortable purchasing the right AR for me. I went with a stock Colt HBAR and I loved it. It's a great rifle and shot flawlessly. The receiver finish looked like it was thrown down a driveway and the flashing in the trigger guard area and carry handle left a bit to be desired, but the rifle was solid. After 3 years of shooting it I decided I wanted something lighter, more compact, with a rail, all of which was more custom to my needs. I sold the Colt for 80% what I bought it for and built a Spikes Recce carbine. My point being, take your time, read and research what you want before you buy. Second to that ask yourself what do you want to do with your rifle whether it be for range plinking, hunting, SHTF, or all the above. With all my reading/research, I still ended up with something different from my original purchase and chances are you will too.
This is what I started out with:
This is what I ended up with:
Quite a difference wouldn't you say?
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, you will get lots of suggestions on a first AR but price and quality should mix well as you will learn alot from your first AR.  My recommendation to you is to get a nice PSA as they are nice, work well, get good accuracy, fit/finish is good, and the price is saves you money for ammo to learn on.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wait for the PSA Patrolman's Carbine special they run now and again. You get a great carbine and an Aimpoint Pro for $999. Best deal around.

Agree.

Lots of good suggestions here but this is tough to beat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Windam Weaponry looks good for an entry level AR. And the Troy Carbine at Dick's is a good deal with the $999 sale going on now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy once cry once.

I work in a gun shop and am an AR armorer.
My coworker keeps wanting to make a bet with me.  He'll pay me $10 for every Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, Knight's, Larue, or Daniel Defense that needs to be repaired.  In return I pay him $5 for every five (originally it was three) Bushmasters, Del Tons, Remingtons, Olympic Arms, DPMS.  If I'd have accepted this, I'd have been paid ten for a BCM that had a gas lead, and would have bought him a new 6920 and ammo in return.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very easy decision for me. Then again what do I know my post count is way to low. I'd also purchase BCM over PSA. To much negativity out there regarding PSA. When I place an order I like to receive what I purchased. I'm also not a fan of watching my PSA order get delivered to someone else when I needed it for a weekend range trip.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very easy decision for me. Then again what do I know my post count is way to low. I'd also purchase BCM over PSA. To much negativity out there regarding PSA. When I place an order I like to receive what I purchased. I'm also not a fan of watching my PSA order get delivered to someone else when I needed it for a weekend range trip.

Patience is a virtue. Ive ordered guns I've wanted to have for a trip to the range, but I can't say I've ever ordered one because I needed it or a range trip. A class maybe, but a trip, nah. Money is no object, I'd take a BCM over a PSA as well. My go to AR wears a BCM upper with LaRue rail. I feel ya brother. Now, if somebody was looking at dropping a grand on an AR, I stand by the PSA being a comparable product to the Colt, with a lot more value.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
The reason the Colt LE 6920 looks good for me is it fits my needs as a good self defense rifle and it would make a good platform to get started with. It would perform very well at the range and well, its a Colt. I definitely cannot afford an Armalite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to Wal-Mart.  Go to sporting goods counter.  Plop down $1097 + tax, fill out 4473.  Walk out door with Colt M4 Carbine (LE6920).

ENJOY!

And just for an FYI.  I located a Troy Carbine, drop in rail, that is marked COLT DEFENSE on it that is solid as a rock and one of the better drop in rail systems, imho.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So I guess I'll be getting either a Bushy or a PSA or maybe a Colt. I'll have to see what kind of money I will have. I like the M4 configurations personally. Edit: I like the feel of the M4 and like the carry handle.

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I own a bravo company and have assembled the rest

but if you want to just buy something from a store already assembled

You would only NOT-REGRET that you purchased a cold

This forum will make you regret buying a bushmaster/dpms/double star/etc the more you read
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm new to the AR platform as well, but have spent countless hours researching them. I bought a PSA M4 Premium 2 days ago. It was on the rack next to several S&Ws, DPMS, and a RRA Elite operator. I liked the RRA but it had a 1/9 twist. PSA was a carbine I had thoroughly researched and was ready to purchase before Election Day if available. It was so I did. DPMS was just something I personally wasn't interested in, nor were S&W or Bushmaster. Not that they wouldn't have made good guns, I just wasn't wanting one.
I will eventually purchase a Colt M4A1 SOCOM. Not because I believe it to be any better than other manufacturers or than my PSA, but because I have been slowly collecting various firearms that I can afford. I want the Colt for my collection. I, again, I believe the value will increase like many other Colt, S&Ws, Winchesters, etc...
I don't know why it concerns me though. I never sale something once I purchase it anyway.
Again, I'm still very new to this, so I'm still trying to learn the different marks on the Colts. Another one of the many things to learn in this hobby/obsession.
So I guess in a long winded reply, in my situation, if I would of had the money, I would have bought the Colt before they jumped up in price and I couldn't have gotten one. Which still may happen, but at least I got an AR that I am very proud to own in the PSA.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top