Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2012 6:10:44 PM EDT
I'm starting my first AR build and my number one requirement is 2 MOA or better. Can I expect this kind of accuracy with a regular handguard or do i need to go with a free float type and something other than a light weight, 1:7  barrel? Thanks

-KMag

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammo do you plan to use? If you try several types of quality ammo in order to find one that meets your criteria, you will probably be ok with a lightweight barrel and standard handguard. If you want to use bulk m193, m855, or similar, then I would suggest free floating a medium weight barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to consistently achieve those results with a drop in rail or handguard. Most of it will depend on ammo used and twist rate. I have gotten my best results with 50g AE varmint ammo out of a 20" 1/9 and that was about 1.5" groups @ 100yd off a bipod.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You should be able to consistently achieve those results with a drop in rail or handguard. Most of it will depend on ammo used and twist rate. I have gotten my best results with 50g AE varmint ammo out of a 20" 1/9 and that was about 1.5" groups @ 100yd off a bipod.

We have also reliably gotten 1-1.5 moa groups with 50 gr AE varmint ammo, but we have not tried it in a lightweight barrel. If the OP's # 1 requirement is accuracy, not weight or cost, a mid-weight barrel and ff rail should go a long way toward ensuring accuracy for just $100 bucks and 12 ounces.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
freefloat affects fast follow up shots so if you are bench shooting etc, the drop in rails will be absolutely fine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Lightweight barrels are somewhat notorious for stringing as they heat up.
I would think a std profile or better yet a fluted hvy profile would be better.
A free floated LW barrel might get what you want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
free float affects fast follow up shots so if you are bench shooting etc, the drop in rails will be absolutely fine.

Incorrect.

A free float takes loading of the hand guard out of the equation for all shoots.  Take a Govt profile 20" and sling up tight you can move the POI a couple of inches at 100 yards easy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
free float affects fast follow up shots so if you are bench shooting etc, the drop in rails will be absolutely fine.

Incorrect.

A free float takes loading of the hand guard out of the equation for all shoots.  Take a Govt profile 20" and sling up tight you can move the POI a couple of inches at 100 yards easy.

This.... I have a rifle with handguards that actually touch the barrel you can push the round by putting tension against the barrel so free floating just makes shot to shot more consistent taking out interference of handguards out of equation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

freefloat affects fast follow up shots so if you are bench shooting etc, the drop in rails will be absolutely fine.

Huh?

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

This.... I have a rifle with handguards that actually touch the barrel you can push the round by putting tension against the barrel so free floating just makes shot to shot more consistent taking out interference of handguards out of equation.

I get POI changes just resting lightly on sandbags with a standard non-FF carbine, noticeable at 50yds even.  Only way to be sure is to shoot off the bottom of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm starting my first AR build and my number one requirement is 2 MOA or better. Can I expect this kind of accuracy with a regular handguard or do i need to go with a free float type and something other than a light weight, 1:7  barrel? Thanks

-KMag

What ammo? What sight system? What range? What position? What sample size?

The old M193 spec called for around 3 MOA using government testing protocol. Machined rested, Mann barrel.

You could have a laser accurate rifle more accurate than the rail guns used in F-class. You feed it in-spec M193, it might produce a 2.5 inch ten-shot group at 100yd. No fault of the rifle.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-KMag

The old M193 spec called for around 3 MOA using government testing protocol. Machined rested, Mann barrel.

You could have a laser accurate rifle more accurate than the rail guns used in F-class. You feed it in-spec M193, it might produce a 2.5 inch ten-shot group at 100yd. No fault of the rifle.

As far as ammo goes it will be twofold, first, whatever commercial factory (i.e. Winchester, Federal, Hornady or Remington, NO surplus) load the rifle likes best, secondly, whatever handload I work up that proves most accurate.

The sight system doesn't matter, that's on the shooter.

Range doesn't matter, 2 MOA = 2 MOA. The resulting group size does change with range (i.e. ~1 inch at 100 yds & ~2 inches at 200 yds).

Position doesn't matter, that's also on the shooter.

I don't consider anything less than a five shot group indicative of a rifles accuracy.

My original question still remains to be answered. Can I expect 2 MOA of accuracy with a regular handguard or do i need to go with a free float type and something other than a light weight, 1:7  barrel?
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-KMag

As far as ammo goes it will be twofold, first, whatever commercial factory (i.e. Winchester, Federal, Hornady or Remington, NO surplus) load the rifle likes best, secondly, whatever handload I work up that proves most accurate.

Range doesn't matter, 2 MOA = 2 MOA. The resulting group size does change with range (i.e. ~1 inch at 100 yds & ~2 inches at 200 yds).

I don't consider anything less than a five shot group indicative of a rifles accuracy.

My original question still remains to be answered. Can I expect 2 MOA of accuracy with a regular handguard or do i need to go with a free float type and something other than a light weight, 1:7  barrel?

Some lightweight barrels with standard handguards will do what you expect if you try a bunch of commercial loads until you find what yours likes. Some won't. The makers who garuntee accuracy tend to go with heavy profile stainless free floated barrels. Even then, one will occasionally see a set up that should shoot well throw patterns instead of groups.

If you must have a lightweight barrel, you can improve your odds with stainless and if its not tight enough for you, one can usually get another .5 moa tighter by ff it.

Lightweight stainless barreled upper
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes you can. With the right ammo, it can be and has been done.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-KMag

I think the answer is that you are more likely to get the results you want if you free-float your barrel.

Look at it this way: Free-floating won't hurt, and will certainly isolate your barrel from whatever you rest it on, from your bipod, from your sling, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll definitely start off with a FF hanguard and maybe even a heavy barrel.

Does anyone know anything about the barrels from Surplus  Ammo and Arms? They have a 4140 chromoly 16 inch heavy barrel with a 1:9 twist for $89.99.

http://www.surplusammo.com/surplus-ammo-arms-standard-16-h-bar-profile1-9-ar-15-barrel/

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top