4/15/2014 11:16:20 AM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:46:43 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Hey guys,
I found an Olympic Arms "plinker plus" flattop m4 for sale for around $630... I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. It seems good quality being from oly arms and all, but that price seems pretty low. It is brand new. The model number is OLY-PP-FT. Whaddya think?

die-tryin
"MADCOW"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 3:53:43 PM
[Last Edit: 7/29/2012 3:54:16 PM by die-tryin]
That is pretty much retail pricing. if it was "FTF", Id think about it, if it was at a store, id pass.
There is no level playing field in life ~ Para069

Direct-Drive
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:10:25 PM
[Last Edit: 7/29/2012 4:52:32 PM by Direct-Drive]
Originally Posted By Three0hEight:
Hey guys,
I found an Olympic Arms "plinker plus" flattop m4 for sale for around $630... I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. It seems good quality being from oly arms and all, but that price seems pretty low. It is brand new. The model number is OLY-PP-FT. Whaddya think?

That brand has been dragged through the mud almost more than any other.....hard to sell them.
Lots of them up here in the PNW.

The early ones had lots of probs which cemented their rep.
The later ones seem to be OK.

Myself, I'd stay away....too many other good choices these days.
Three0hEight
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:23:41 PM
Well thats the feedback I was looking for... I'll do some more research and see what else is available for around the same pricing. (poor boy budget)
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:32:03 PM
Yuck
E mail me for rates on capturing fugitive milkies.
I'll beat those milkies like a mean dog going over a fence
Wildman1024
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 4:50:16 PM
You could build a PSA for that and have a much better rifle.
newarcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 5:23:34 PM
I have a Plinker Plus that I bought for $550 shipped about 5 years ago. Great gun but not the configuration I necessarily wanted but it was my first. Shoots great, no issues. Quality is not as good as some others but it gets the job done.

I also have a PSA upper that I really like.

I'd go PSA for sure, although the Oly is fine thus far.

New
thornejc
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:39:23 PM
[Last Edit: 7/29/2012 6:41:25 PM by thornejc]
My first AR was an Olympic Arms dissy... i literally gave it away. It was that bad. I don't think you will have a problem if you are just using it to plink around... mine was just not a good one. I bought it used and just couldn't get it up and running like I wanted.
KnifeCollector
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:57:54 PM
Before I bought an Oly to plink with, I would buy a 22. A PSA would be much better.
I love freedom, cause a chained dog ain't happy.
220ST
You didn't build that
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/29/2012 7:07:26 PM
Friends don't let friends buy Oly.
WhatsThatSmell
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:09:05 AM
I skeet for their pistol cal uppers...expensive, but still.

~WTS
Diamondback
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 3:40:22 AM
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 3:41:13 AM by Diamondback]
I bought a Oly PCR 18" barreled rifle about 20 years ago. Put a 20" heavy barrel on it, free float handguard, and with hand loads it would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards into 5/8" . Shot over 5k rounds thru it and NEVER had a problem with it. They've been in business since 1975 so someone besides me must like and buy them, don't you think? This board has never liked Oly Arms and they went thru a time when they did have problems with the quality. Bit not everything they made was a POS. So how come they're still in business?
A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!
NRA Life Member
misc
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:15:01 AM
Why is Hesse/ Vulcan Armament still in business?
Because "There's a sucker born every minute."
Unicorn
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 6:09:31 AM
Originally Posted By Diamondback:
I bought a Oly PCR 18" barreled rifle about 20 years ago. Put a 20" heavy barrel on it, free float handguard, and with hand loads it would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards into 5/8" . Shot over 5k rounds thru it and NEVER had a problem with it. They've been in business since 1975 so someone besides me must like and buy them, don't you think? This board has never liked Oly Arms and they went thru a time when they did have problems with the quality. Bit not everything they made was a POS. So how come they're still in business?

A lot of people buy Olys because they can't (or maybe won't) afford the price of a higher end rifle. The majority of those won't shoot 5,000 rounds in their life. So for the 300 rounds a year they do shoot, if that, the rifle will be fine.
gmtmaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 8:46:46 AM
How many of you actually own one? Regurgitating what you have heard but dont own one?
StrudelWolf
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 9:09:20 AM
I own one (K16 Though), would buy another and recommend it to others. Never had a single problem. I shoot a little over 1 inch groups off a bi-pod in the back of a truck at a 100 (and I don't claim to be a great shot). A lot of rounds through it too (I clean it regularly). Maybe I got a good one, but personally I believe that they will definitely do the job. And a poster said they must be selling them to be in business, well I wish I could get more to sell in my store, but my distributor is regularly sold out.
220ST
You didn't build that
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 10:51:33 AM
[Last Edit: 7/30/2012 11:01:00 AM by 220ST]
Originally Posted By gmtmaster:
How many of you actually own one? Regurgitating what you have heard but dont own one?

I've unfortunately purchased several in the distant past.

The good thing about Oly is their Lifetime Warranty / Satisfaction Guarantee. The bad thing is that I used both on all my "brand new" Oly products. A NIB rifle didn't work and went back for repair. After getting the run around, I asked for money back on day 59. To their credit, I did get a refund. Being in California, I am stuck with a couple Oly lowers that are registered with the state. These were purchased pre-2000 when the options for lowers were scarce, and I didn't know any better. The lowers had to go back to Oly because they were machined a little "off". Tight takedown pins, loose trigger/hammer pins and tight magwells are just something I have to deal with on these lowers.

Thank goodness I can get real lowers in California these days as long as I run a bullet button or go featureless. Not sure about the quality of Oly these days, so YMMV. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me applies in this case.

Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 10:58:16 AM

http://minuteofdesk.blogspot.com/2010/03/posts-on-ar15com-regarding-olympic-arms.html
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 11:00:05 AM

Saw one break a bolt first day out of the box. Did you run out and buy a FIAT? You can't judge them to be a worse car than a Honda without owning one.
die-tryin
"MADCOW"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 11:08:56 AM
I have an OLY lower that is on my Urban Camo gun (ive picture whored it enough times, lol), Ive had this gun for over 10years without a single issue.

I have it on a DPMS lo pro upper and WOA 18" SS and FF, it does sob MOA all day long with match ammo.
There is no level playing field in life ~ Para069

extxdpscamaro
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 11:18:50 AM
I'm sure you could search for archived threads on Olympic Arms but most reviews are not good. My first AR was an plinker plus and went kaboom on the second mag. Pissed me off but I've learned from my mistakes and would never recommend one to a friend or even a complete stranger. IMHO!
Ceddie
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:20:41 PM

I currently own two, both are plinker plus modles.
both run great.
the magwell is a little tight, not bad but plan to have your mags in spec.

I SBRed one of the two lowers

Three0hEight
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2012 11:30:41 PM
Ok ok ok I wont buy one!!! I'll just save my pennies and buy a quality rifle... or build one, I'm not sure yet. I think I can piece together some Mega parts and some DPMS parts for a reasonable price. Now I DO want to buy some Mega parts because they're local and i like to support local business because I work at a local business. My one question is, (i know im gonna start a war) what does Mega make better? The upper or lower? Fire away! Thanks guys!

RHotelling
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2012 11:53:17 PM
You know, your mileage is gonna vary. You're going to get every opinion on an AR forum. :) I still have my first AR. It's a4-digit serial number SGW, the predecessor to Olympic Arms, but basically an Oly. It has a milled billet receiver, with what is known as a really good quality stainless steel 5.56 barrel. A2 configuration with a full stock. It is not just a good shooter; it's a great shooter. Oly was (is still? I don't know) known for very good quality barrels at least. Mine is a late 70s vintage. Don't let the Oly rep here scare you if you like the rifle. Yep, there are better ones out there these days... so buy a better one as a second rifle. :) A buddy of mine has a late model Oly and it has never failed for him. Just sayin'... they're not necessarily all bad.
Three0hEight
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2012 12:03:50 AM
Yeah I understand that not every rifle they build is bad, (if they were all that bad they wouldnt be in business) but I can only afford one m4 right now and seeing as how this is my first m4 (besides the ones i had in the army), I need it to function flawlessly. I dont want to buy a crappy one that i need to fix all the time with the words "assault weapons ban" being thrown around so loosely in our gubmint lately. I'll just save some money and put together a good m4. I thought I would be able to get a "good" one cheap, with rails and such already installed, but I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too. Oh well, like all of my other guns I have you get what you pay for. Thanks for the input guys.

sunga_sy
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2012 3:09:28 AM
had an Oly upper before and the ejector spring is a few mm short when i compared it to my other bolts, that is why it is always jamming, called up Oly and they seem to dont believe my story that their spring is short in length , saying it goes under QC, etc.etc., so what i did was i just ordered from brownells a new ejector spring which just cost me i think just a dollar and the upper ran fine, used it for around 2k rounds, then sold the upper after a few months and never touched any Oly products.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED