BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2012 11:46:43 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I found an Olympic Arms "plinker plus" flattop m4 for sale for around $630... I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. It seems good quality being from oly arms and all, but that price seems pretty low. It is brand new. The model number is OLY-PP-FT. Whaddya think?

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
That is pretty  much retail pricing. if it was "FTF", Id think about it, if it was at a store, id pass.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,
I found an Olympic Arms "plinker plus" flattop m4 for sale for around $630... I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. It seems good quality being from oly arms and all, but that price seems pretty low. It is brand new. The model number is OLY-PP-FT. Whaddya think?

That brand has been dragged through the mud almost more than any other.....hard to sell them.
Lots of them up here in the PNW.

The early ones had lots of probs which cemented their rep.
The later ones seem to be OK.

Myself, I'd stay away....too many other good choices these days.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well thats the feedback I was looking for... I'll do some more research and see what else is available for around the same pricing. (poor boy budget)
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You could build a PSA for that and have a much better rifle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Plinker Plus that I bought for $550 shipped about 5 years ago.  Great gun but not the configuration I necessarily wanted but it was my first.  Shoots great, no issues.  Quality is not as good as some others but it gets the job done.

I also have a PSA upper that I really like.  

I'd go PSA for sure, although the Oly is fine thus far.

New
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My first AR was an Olympic Arms dissy... i literally gave it away.  It was that bad.  I don't think you will have a problem if you are just using it to plink around... mine was just not a good one.  I bought it used and just couldn't get it up and running like I wanted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Before I bought an Oly to plink with, I would buy a 22. A PSA would be much better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Friends don't let friends buy Oly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I skeet for their pistol cal uppers...expensive, but still.

~WTS
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Oly PCR 18" barreled rifle about 20 years ago. Put a 20" heavy barrel on it, free float handguard, and with hand loads it would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards into 5/8" . Shot over 5k rounds thru it and NEVER had a problem with it. They've been in business since 1975 so someone besides me must like and buy them, don't you think?  This board has never liked Oly Arms and they went thru a time when they did have problems with the quality. Bit not everything they made was a POS. So how come they're still in business?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is Hesse/ Vulcan Armament still in business?
Because "There's a sucker born every minute."
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a Oly PCR 18" barreled rifle about 20 years ago. Put a 20" heavy barrel on it, free float handguard, and with hand loads it would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards into 5/8" . Shot over 5k rounds thru it and NEVER had a problem with it. They've been in business since 1975 so someone besides me must like and buy them, don't you think?  This board has never liked Oly Arms and they went thru a time when they did have problems with the quality. Bit not everything they made was a POS. So how come they're still in business?

A lot of people buy Olys because they can't (or maybe won't) afford the price of a higher end rifle.  The majority of those won't shoot 5,000 rounds in their life.  So for the 300 rounds a year they do shoot, if that, the rifle will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
How many of you actually own one? Regurgitating what you have heard but dont own one?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I own one (K16 Though), would buy another and recommend it to others. Never had a single problem. I shoot a little over 1 inch groups off a bi-pod in the back of a truck at a 100 (and I don't claim to be a great shot). A lot of rounds through it too (I clean it regularly). Maybe I got a good one, but personally I believe that they will definitely do the job. And a poster said they must be selling them to be in business, well I wish I could get more to sell in my store, but my distributor is regularly sold out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many of you actually own one? Regurgitating what you have heard but dont own one?

I've unfortunately purchased several in the distant past.  

The good thing about Oly is their Lifetime Warranty / Satisfaction Guarantee.  The bad thing is that I used both on all my "brand new" Oly products.  A NIB rifle didn't work and went back for repair.  After getting the run around, I asked for money back on day 59.  To their credit, I did get a refund.  Being in California, I am stuck with a couple Oly lowers that are registered with the state.  These were purchased pre-2000 when the options for lowers were scarce, and I didn't know any better.  The lowers had to go back to Oly because they were machined a little "off".  Tight takedown pins, loose trigger/hammer pins and tight magwells are just something I have to deal with on these lowers.  

Thank goodness I can get real lowers in California these days as long as I run a bullet button or go featureless.  Not sure about the quality of Oly these days, so YMMV.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me applies in this case.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an OLY  lower that is on my Urban Camo gun (ive picture whored it enough times, lol), Ive had this gun for over 10years without a single issue.

I have it on a DPMS lo pro upper and WOA 18" SS and FF, it does sob MOA all day long with match ammo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure you could search for archived threads on Olympic Arms but most reviews are not good. My first AR was an plinker plus and went kaboom on the second mag. Pissed me off but I've learned from my mistakes and would never recommend one to a friend or even a complete stranger. IMHO!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I currently own two, both are plinker plus modles.
both run great.
the magwell is a little tight, not bad but plan to have your mags in spec.

I SBRed one of the two lowers

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok ok ok I wont buy one!!! I'll just save my pennies and buy a quality rifle... or build one, I'm not sure yet. I think I can piece together some Mega parts and some DPMS parts for a reasonable price. Now I DO want to buy some Mega parts because they're local and i like to support local business because I work at a local business. My one question is, (i know im gonna start a war) what does Mega make better? The upper or lower? Fire away! Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]
You know, your mileage is gonna vary. You're going to get every opinion on an AR forum. :) I still have my first AR. It's a4-digit serial number SGW, the predecessor to Olympic Arms, but basically an Oly. It has a milled billet receiver, with what is known as a really good quality stainless steel 5.56 barrel. A2 configuration with a full stock. It is not just a good shooter; it's a great shooter. Oly was (is still? I don't know) known for very good quality barrels at least. Mine is a late 70s vintage. Don't let the Oly rep here scare you if you like the rifle. Yep, there are better ones out there these days... so buy a better one as a second rifle. :) A buddy of mine has a late model Oly and it has never failed for him. Just sayin'... they're not necessarily all bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I understand that not every rifle they build is bad, (if they were all that bad they wouldnt be in business) but I can only afford one m4 right now and seeing as how this is my first m4 (besides the ones i had in the army), I need it to function flawlessly. I dont want to buy a crappy one that i need to fix all the time with the words "assault weapons ban" being thrown around so loosely in our gubmint lately. I'll just save some money and put together a good m4. I thought I would be able to get a "good" one cheap, with rails and such already installed, but I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too. Oh well, like all of my other guns I have you get what you pay for. Thanks for the input guys.

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
had an Oly upper before and the ejector spring is a few mm short when i compared it to my other bolts, that is why it is always jamming, called up Oly and they seem to dont believe my story that their spring is short in length , saying it goes under QC, etc.etc., so what i did was i just ordered from brownells a new ejector spring which just cost me i think just a dollar and the upper ran fine, used it for around 2k rounds, then sold the upper after a few months and never touched any Oly products.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Run away from Olympic AR's.  There are much better choices out there.  Do your research.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Run away from Olympic AR's.  There are much better choices out there.  Do your research.

+1

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#28]
This WAS my research on Oly Arms hahaha! Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought one about 6 years ago...a K3B flat top.  Been a great gun.....no problems at all, and very accurate.

Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You could build a PSA for that and have a much better rifle.

+1

I sold an Oly a while back and used the proceeds to for a Palmetto upper and other parts.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#31]
As to Olympic Arms problems being in the past, I'll call BS on that one! It was only a few years ago I worked on a New Oly that had major trigger issues (Unsafe!). I think Aimless has my post quoted in his Blog.

BTW, the Oly I'm referring to was a FACTORY BUILD, not a "parts gun".
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I built one in the mid 90's and have had zero problems with it.Over 2,000rds of cheap russian ammo through it. Plus reloads and other ammo through it.  My dad has their basic model (A-1 bought in 2010)  and has tryed most of the different ammo makers out there and has had zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I have one of thier multi cal rifles in 9mm and have 2k plus through it and I bought it used. The only issue I had with it was a broken ejector spring and it was that way when I bought it. Olympic sent me a new one and it runs fine.

Finestkind
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not going to buy an Oly. I keep seeing that they're junk except a few posts where people say they're OK. Ill buy something quality. thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never heard anyone say a good word about Olympic arms...well until now.

Check out this bad ass caliber though: [url]http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v8.tpl&product_id=318&category_id=66&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5{/url]

Can that be chambered in a AR-15 or is this a AR-10 cambering? If this is a AR-15, this caliber smokes everything else currently out there!

Konger
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#36]
My experiences w/ Oly were crap.

It's a pity, because I've really had a hard-on for their OA-93 pistol for years.

I helped a longtime friend assemble his first AR. ('99 or so IRRC)

Our first three tries were with cast Oly Plinker Lowers.

We went back to the gun store three times because none of them would operate safely.

This wasn't because the receivers were cast, but because the holes were not concentric w/

one another from side to side.  

How the fuck they managed to do that is beyond me, unless they drilled both sides separately.  

All three had voids in the interior of the magwell that didn't affect operation but sure indicate

a lack of QC or any pride in their product.

After the third one came back, the owner of the gun shop said he couldn't take that one back.

He said OA was flat out refusing to honor any kind of warranty on the ones we had already

returned because they hadn't been assembled at OA.

We verified this in a speaker-phone conversation between the shop and their customer reps.

The dealer offered to credit my friend the $$ over dealer price on the OA lower and sold him a BM lower at cost.

A couple years later, not having learned my lesson I decided to order the FIRSH FF HG as it was the first reasonably

priced quad-rail alternative to the ARMS SIR rail.  

I placed the order over the phone, without a hitch.  They charged my card immedately.

Four months later,  no rail,  I called...  It would be shipped in two weeks.

Geez thanks for letting me know about the back order.

To add insult to injury, when the FIRSH arrived, they had upgraded to a two locking screw set-up.

What did I get?  The single screw version.

I asked politely for the upgrade, even offered to pay shipping again.   The answer?  No

Then I requested a second screw to have a machinist buddy drill the hole for.

They wouldn't even sell me that because they hadn't priced it separately.

I was told the only option was to buy a whole new rail again. WTF???
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I have to ask the Olympic Arms Fanboys if they would knowingly take their Oly into a firefight if they had a different choice.

Take your pick of any other manufacturer, anyone except Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne would be better!
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have to ask the Olympic Arms Fanboys if they would knowingly take their Oly into a firefight if they had a different choice.

Take your pick of any other manufacturer, anyone except Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne would be better!

This happens to be an Oly/ PAWS M16 which by the way is a factory machnegun and not a conversion. But Oly nonetheless. I would take this to a firefight over any other AR or SBR I own. I would ask if you have ANY experience with Oly, or simply vomiting what you have heard in the internet.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This happens to be an Oly/ PAWS M16 which by the way is a factory machnegun and not a conversion. But Oly nonetheless. I would take this to a firefight over any other AR or SBR I own. I would ask if you have ANY experience with Oly, or simply vomiting what you have heard in the internet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/2012-01-08124011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/PAWS005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/fortisebay017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/Picture312.jpg

As to me "vomiting what I've heard on the internet", you might bother to read a few posts above for your answer before making asinine comments. As to Olympic Arms machine guns...Whoopie! you have one, I had two M-16A1's built on Oly lowers, the only DAMN thing that was Olympic was the receivers, why did I have them built on Oly receivers? Because in 1984 there were very few lowers available! Now there are MUCH better choices!

You also might want to check out the Penguins blog on Olymipc Arrms as to how bad they are. Even Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne hasn't had that much bad press. My duty AR has around $4,000 wrapped up in it, I wouldn't consider ANY Oly part, my life depends on it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Oly barrels are real screamers and the "black tac" coating they have been using on their carriers for the last 15 years or so,,,,,nitride.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a new Oly Plinker Plus with the carry handle and A1 style sights. I have not had it very long but so far I am very happy with it. I knew when buying it that Oly had a bad internet rep. But the internet can be misleading so for 580 out the door I could not pass on it. The rifle has a pretty good fit and finish. I am not a name brand kind of guy so I am not very bias about what roll mark is on my rifle.

I look at the Plinker Plus as a very good range / sporting gun. And who knows with a little more time and rounds down range I just might have to bump it up past range gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Have two, an XM177 clone that had the extractor stretch and FTE issues, replaced it and it has been 100% since. At 11.5 inches, I would not carry into battle but do use it for HD.
The other is a DCM A2 in .223 and it is very accurate, would not take it into battle since it is a .223.
Don't know if that helps at all although I suspect it won't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 3 olympics, an early SGW, their M4 version, and a 20' Heavy barrel target, I would take on any other factory target rifle COLT, DPMS and I would feel confident it would keep up or beat them in accuracy, and being dependable. Would I take them into battle Hell Yes. I do have an older colt H-bar, a Bushmaster Vietnam Commando style, and a DPMS Pistol, I had two of the Oly Arms pistols and they were just as good as any other. I am sorry I am not a AR Snob, I could not tell you not to buy one, but I do live about 30 miles away, so if I have an issue with them I would just take them to the factory, did they have their problems YES, but they have always treated me fair when I wanted Firsh handguards  installed they put them on for free and charged me less than Retail. and Yes I know someone who has worked their along time. I have heard all the bashing, and yes I believe some of them. Some people just want to bitch about something, and yes I agree with all of you when you say you get what you pay for. Most of the complaints with Oly's from my friend are sold as Factory rifles which are home built rifles, they have number in them to denote if they are factory rifles. I now they have Lemons out their, but all manufactures have duds. I would buy one if thats all I could afford.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#45]
My Department issues Oly rifles. I hear they saved a few bucks over Bushmaster. (I much prefer Bushy) The Oly is the roughest AR that I have ever seen. It looks like it was made by the same factory as my Romanian AK. When issued new, one of the pins for the FSB were halfway out and we pounded it back in. And the rear sight was hell to zero and is basically frozen. BUT, it has never jammed, is accurate (their barrels have a good rep I think) and rides in my trunk to this day. Would I ever buy one? Hell no. But if you have numerous other AR's and need a decent plinker, something to tinker with, or loan out to newby that drop guns alot...maybe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#46]
I have an Oly barrel that the chamber was outta spec. It left a glock buldge on all the brass. did it shoot fine yes, but the brass was then ruined so i could no longer reload it.

I would stick with some one else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I own two of their ultramatch uppers, they are the most accurate rifles I own, they even outshoot my bolt guns.
I have never owned one of their complete rifles, I bought these uppers due to their reputation for accuracy.
If the rest of their parts are not reliable, I will at least buy their barrels and assmble what I want.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have owned two of their pistol caliber uppers.  I found them to be crudely built, one had a badly canted FSB, and Oly's customer service was sub par for the industry.

Anyone may feel free to regurgitate that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
My first AR was an Oly kit.

Loose parts seemed ok.  Upper looked like it was sprayed in that black truck bed liner stuff. Looked like crap.  Upper receiver was out of spec.  Had to file down one side (yes, one side) of rear of upper receiver to get to mate to my lower properly (needed a hammer and punch to push takedown pin in otherwise).

Front sight pins were actually on different lines - one was higher and at an angle to the other.  

Heavy barrel was very accurate, but they're tomato stakes in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#50]
My Oly shoots like a champ, my experience doesn't match the consensus on the internet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top