Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2012 1:02:48 PM EDT
Absolute crap? Or will it get the job done? I just ordered one for 25$ off amazon and free next day shipping.. Wanted a Harris but they are a bit pricy..

Did I just waste 25$?
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and while it works, but Its also very easy to knock around \off center. I would like get a harris to replace it when funds allow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe not. I bought one a while back that clamps to the barrel, and it works fine. Smart buy to determine if you really want to hang a bipod on the rifle. Funny, I had put it away and had to find it because this thread made me want to put it on my AR for my next range trip. I actually bought it for an AK but it also fits my HBAR ARs. The thing seems sturdy enough. The legs have a positive lock and it has rubber feet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Absolute crap? Or will it get the job done? Did I just waste 25$?

Yes. Depends on the job. Probably.

Save up for a Harris if you are serious about using a bipod. If its just a fun gun, sport the UTG and dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few and while it is not a harris it functions just fine. Only problem is that it is a hair short to allow the rifle to stand up with a 30rd mag in. I think I have one of the 9"ones, I can't remember
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Harris, UTG, and some other brand (i don't recall), and while the quality of the Harris is evident, they all function exactly the same.  No issues with any of them as of yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
no difference between the op1 and the standard harris.  I have had one of these on a 308 beater for thousands of rounds and it's been spot on.  I have these, harris, and others more expensive and the op1 is every bit as good for hunting or range shooting
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an NCStar Harris clone, and while the machining isn't as nice as a Harris, it works. I dunno, as long as it holds yer rifle steady, I say rock on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two Harris, but also have two of the longer UTG (look similar to the Harris but 'swivels'), I think I paid $22 or $23 at CtD
the UTGs are used on the kids' .22 (a 15/22 and a 5.56 with CMMG conversion) and they work fine for them at the range.
I use the taller ones, and they clear the 26 round magazines they are using (and I don't have th charge their mags as often gets tired)
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
For some all that matters is a cheap price.

Two sticks and some duct tape will give you a bi-pod of equal or better quality and it costs less.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one, and the screw that clamps it down to the rail comes loose very easily.

It came loose while walking through the woods on the way to my stand...most inconvenient.

I suppose if I put some clear nail polish on it, it'd be a lot better. I'm sure I'll get around to it....eventually.

Not bad for the money.

~WTS
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like it'll work for you.

One thing I've never understood are threads like this. You obviously realized UTG isn't the greatest yet purchased it anyway then started a thread looking for validation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one and it works well. I did have a problem with the pin and peice of metal that has a spring under it...i guess the tab you press to spring the legs back in. anyway the spring and pin fell out and wouldn't fit back in correctly so I rebuilt it myself and its better than it  was originally. I plan on redoing the other side when I have time.

I also plan to buy a harris one of these days to. But the cost for a damn bipod is stupid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I tried out a rail with a UTG quad rail, and found out that I liked rails - and that the UTG was heavy!  I picked up a UTG bipod to bring an online order up to some arbitrary total to get free shipping (I think...it's been a while, maybe it was for just cheaper shipping).  It seems to be well build and solid, but I haven't done any "field work" with it, just range trips.  I kind of like it...

I liked rails, so I got a (used) KAC M5 for my A4-ish rifle.  I'm probably going to get a Harris in the future because I like having a bipod.  I've thought of these UTG pieces as an opportunity to try out an accessory without having to dive in and pay a lot for something I would not like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
It works. As stated, I tested one and it is heavy. I didn't have issues with it loosening but the swivel was not smooth operating.
Not built like a Harris but then it doesn't cost as much. UTG is coming out with an improved model but I have not tested it yet.
Dave N
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine works. I like the lateral swivel. I have it on a Savage mk II.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top