Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:10:36 PM EDT
Is anyone making a rifle length gas system on a 16 inch barrel?
Why is this not being done regularly?

The longer handguard would allow you to put your hands as far out as possible and drive the gun easier, the rifle length system would be easier on the gun, and you'd get maximum sight distance...

So other than looking funny, why hasnt it been done?

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Reliability issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Not enough dwell time.

Not reliable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
finicky with ammo;
most commonly fixed by using one of the shorter gas systems with a FSB at rifle length.

See: Dissipator

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/509821_Dissipator_Picture___Discussion_Thread.html
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The longer handguard would allow you to put your hands as far out as possible and drive the gun easier, the rifle length system would be easier on the gun, and you'd get maximum sight distance...

It kinda is. The dissipator (sp) is basically what you are describing. The front sight is moved forward to where it is on a rifle but gas port is carbine or mid length. Having a rifle length gas setup on a 16" barrel is a bad idea. Reliability would be compromised due to the short dwell time. I have a Spikes LW middy gas dissipator and love it. Several companies are making them now.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I got interrupted while typing. Looks like a couple people answered before I finished. What they said.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
DPMS dissipators are rifle length gas.

I have a rifle gas barrel cut to 16 inches. It works great with brass cased ammo, but doesn't normally cycle with Tula. I could open the gas  port and it would probably run just fine with Tula as well. Alternatively I could move to a carbine buffer system instead of a rifle buffer and it might run it just fine.  If you want to do your own just plan on opening the gas port a bit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Aren't these options already available on a mid-length or carbine length gas system, as long as you have a low pro gas block and lengthy FF rail system?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one once.  IMHO this is the way a 16" ought to be done.  The late Kurt Wala at KKF did it for me.  16" A2 bbl. w/ rifle length gas.  Worked great.  I think Adco will do one but iirc he won't go less than a 17" bbl.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
delton is making one the one i saw was running everything flawlessly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top