Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2012 8:54:14 AM EDT
I have a s&w m&p 15 sport and was wanting to swap out the upper receiver for one with the dust cover and forward assist. Any ideas on which upper would work best? I was wanting to just get a stripped upper and swap everything over to the new upper but didn't know if it is worth it? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Receivers are pretty much universal, though some have slightly different finishes.  If you got the know how and the tools a receiver should cost right around $100.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
It is worth it if that’s the way you want it, all other reasons aside.
If I had a YHM upper that fit a S&W perfectly that does not mean your results would be the same.
There is simply too mush tolerance spread among the different manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a s&w m&p 15 sport and was wanting to swap out the upper receiver for one with the dust cover and forward assist. Any ideas on which upper would work best? I was wanting to just get a stripped upper and swap everything over to the new upper but didn't know if it is worth it? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

It can be done.

Do you want to invest in the tools required to do this properly without structural or cosmetic damage ?
Along with proper tools you will have to bring some skill which can be learned.

Once you have the tools and pull it off successfully, you will want to scratch build another one.
Then you'll think, crap, I should of just sold off that Sport as is and bought/built new.

If it were me, I'd sell the Sport as is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, I did exactly what you're contemplating when I got my Sport over year ago.  Even though there is no real need for a forward assist and dust cover on most civilian ARs, I wanted both on mine for reasons of standardization (and because it doesn't seem right, to me, to not have them).

I already had the tools as well as experience swapping them out, so it was no big deal.  I used a BCM upper, which turned out to be a near-perfect match in fit and finish (for those who care about such things).  I believe you can currently get blemished uppers from them at a good discount.

I already had a use in mind for the original upper before I performed the swap.  It now has a .22 barrel and is my dedicated .22 upper.

Glad I made the swap and haven't looked back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top