Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:55:06 PM EDT
I HAVE AN EXTRA STRIPPED LOWER AND BARREL LAYING AROUND..I AM WANTING TO MAKE A PISTOL...MY BARREL IS A 16IN HEAVY BARREL.  I HAVE THE TOOLS TO CUT AND THREAD THE BARREL..WOULD THE BARREL BE OK IF I CUT IT DOWN TO 10IN?
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it's a carbine gas system sure.  Do not assemble and put a regular receiver extension on it.  Throw a pistol extension on and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]
was it originally purchased as a rifle lower?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Irrelevant. As long as it was never assembled as a rifle, it can be assembled as a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Every stripped lower I have ever bought had long gun written on the paperwork.  Has to mean something doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every stripped lower I have ever bought had long gun written on the paperwork.  Has to mean something doesn't it?

Your dealer could have logged them as a pistol if you asked him to.
Now stripped lowers are required to be logged as a receiver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant. As long as it was never assembled as a rifle, it can be assembled as a pistol.

This, and it needs to be completely assembled as in having an upper attached.  

You can also use what reciever extension you want, but you may not want to have any extra stocks laying around and you may want to wrap it paracord or something of the like.

I would cut the barrel to 10.5 and no shorter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top