Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Posted: 7/12/2012 8:46:41 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Got a chance to buy a dpms m4 for $600 is there any models i should stay away from if you have any info please share this will be my first ar thanks again
bcauz3y
I'm a Tactical penguin
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 8:49:50 PM
they are a good starter gun.

that is about what I paid for mine.

go for it
...I do understand that it is the profession that all others are expert save the people actually embroiled in it.
-Natty_Bumppo
mdean2011
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 9:02:26 PM
Entry level gun. Not everything is in spec or the highest quality. But for 600 bucks thats a good price.

I have a DPMS thats survived a few carbine courses and 3000 rounds put down the barrel without a single malfunction or failure.

People are going to complain about the rifle but for 600 bucks you are not going to be getting a high dollar high quality Colt rifle.

A good starter gun is what it is. Also it will help you save for some high dollar optics, lights, ect...
probie2356
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 9:54:12 PM
I have a couple of them and never once has either malfunctioned, they stay in safe now that I build all mine now. But I know I can pull either out and dump a beta mag with no problems.
darthlaidher
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 10:07:47 PM
DPMS

Doesn't Pass Military Spec

With that being said neither does my Bushy and people love to bash it but it works and i'm sure a DPMS will work just fine.
chris8518
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 10:18:10 PM
Thanks everyone i thought that was a good price for a nib even if it is at Walmart it's acutely $589
sflaten
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 10:29:44 PM
I have one that is my first AR. It is similar to their Bull 24 Special with the Magpul PRS stock. Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I have been to the range about a dozen times with it, Never a problem except when with the metal mags that did not like a full mag. Changed to Magpul mags and no more problem.

In zeroing last time to a 50 yard mark I had the scope loosen and not nold position, but I could still put most of a mag in a quater size spot till the scope moved again. I have been very happy with this rifle.
Bizzarolibe
Something clever and witty
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 11:35:18 PM
Former DPMS owner here. Save your money. I never understand people who are willing to plunk down 600$ on a product with a serious quality deficiency but balk when people tell them to save up a couple hundred more for a product that will actually be worth the money. DPMS is known to use inferior components in their rifles. If you don't want to spend any more than you have to on a decent AR, look into getting a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) AR.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-C.S. Lewis

XxZombieChrisxX
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2012 11:47:33 PM
[Last Edit: 7/12/2012 11:47:56 PM by XxZombieChrisxX]
I havent used a DPMS but have seen a few in their catalog that look really nice. If it were me, I would rather just build my own. I never owned an AR15 before I built mine and it really wasnt bad at all with the good videos that we have on the internet today
gmtmaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 12:13:02 AM
Originally Posted By darthlaidher:
DPMS

Doesn't Pass Military Spec

With that being said neither does my Bushy and people love to bash it but it works and i'm sure a DPMS will work just fine.

You do realize that there is no commercial "Mil spec" dont you?
darthlaidher
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 12:21:06 AM
[Last Edit: 7/13/2012 12:21:43 AM by darthlaidher]
Yes I know that.
AlphaOperator
You cannot stop it now....it's automatic
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 12:34:49 AM
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
Former DPMS owner here. Save your money. I never understand people who are willing to plunk down 600$ on a product with a serious quality deficiency but balk when people tell them to save up a couple hundred more for a product that will actually be worth the money. DPMS is known to use inferior components in their rifles. If you don't want to spend any more than you have to on a decent AR, look into getting a PSA (Palmetto State Armory) AR.

I agree.

If given the choice, I'd go for a PSA instead of a DPMS.
- .... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. -

What don't you understand about "...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." ?
charles_lee_ray
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:15:28 AM
I started with a dpms bull barreled upper on a stag lower, functioned perfectly, even with a carbine gas system and Hornady superformance. However it was heavy so I traded it in towards a stag upper, big difference in finish and parts quality, the stag was a nicer upper. The dpms was great for shooting .22LR was pretty accurate at 300 yards, but I'd say that's about it. The BCG seemed rough inside the reciever, the finish wore off the barrel rather quickly. At the same time I've got a friend in the navy who loves his dpms AR (he also managed to break his Keltec P40 so that it had to be reassembled at the factory, he also voted for Obama.)
Glockfan
NRA Life Endowment Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:27:14 AM
Originally Posted By chris8518:
Got a chance to buy a dpms m4 for $600 is there any models i should stay away from if you have any info please share this will be my first ar thanks again

Don't waste your money. I am forced to keep DPMS guns running for my department and that was no easy task initially.
Pat
Firearms Instructor.
Colt M16/AR15 and 1911 Armorer.
Glock Armorer.
USPSA A56876 B Class
baxsom
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 6:03:52 AM
my first AR was a DPMS carbine, I never had a problem. It was by no means a varmint rifle but then again it was a 16" carbine. At 100 yards I could cover my group with my hand. That is better a lot of people with their colts when you actually start comparing targets.
Conched
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 6:59:05 AM
My first AR was a DPMS MK12, can't say I ever had any problems with it, although, there were quite a few components that were not mil spec such as the free float rail. Having said that I still have it along with a M&P15 and a Noveske. The DPMS will get you into the AR hobby but it will leave you wanting more if you stick with the platform and get the black gun disease.

Shop around a bit more, maybe swing into a few local gun shops and familiarize yourself with a few more manufacturers before you decide to pull the trigger on the DPMS.

bucsfan69
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 8:47:13 AM
I have a DPMS and it performs flawlessly. even dropped it out of a tree (15 FT) scope never moved, never a malfunction. Ive killed quite a few deer with it and couldnt be happier. Its a heavy beast, but one that is reliable. You know the saying about opinions. If you see one you like go for it, shoot it, buy it, and dont look back. Enjoy YOUR EBR, then go build you another one ( thats where the fun begins).
Glockfan
NRA Life Endowment Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:27:43 PM
Originally Posted By baxsom:
my first AR was a DPMS carbine, I never had a problem. It was by no means a varmint rifle but then again it was a 16" carbine. At 100 yards I could cover my group with my hand. That is better a lot of people with their colts when you actually start comparing targets.

So your bragging about a hand sized group at 100 yards.

Group fired with my 14.5 inch Noveske. Its not the accuracy that makes DPMS suck its the lack of reliablity and the lack of quality control measures that lead to the lack of reliability. Most AR's shoot reasonably well for accuracy. What you pay for is reliability. I have seen more DPMS guns go down in training and in matches than I can count.
Pat
Firearms Instructor.
Colt M16/AR15 and 1911 Armorer.
Glock Armorer.
USPSA A56876 B Class
undercoverwookie
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 10:04:58 PM
Originally Posted By Glockfan:
Originally Posted By baxsom:

So your bragging about a hand sized group at 100 yards.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Noveske%20N4%20targets/NoveskeN4group2.jpg

Group fired with my 14.5 inch Noveske. Its not the accuracy that makes DPMS suck its the lack of reliablity and the lack of quality control measures that lead to the lack of reliability. Most AR's shoot reasonably well for accuracy. What you pay for is reliability. I have seen more DPMS guns go down in training and in matches than I can count.
Pat

I'm happy with my DPMS. And my savings.

darthlaidher
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 10:08:23 PM
There's two camps, 1 camp is happy with their rifle and those are the people that usually just go to the range and shoot paper and don't dump 1000+ rounds a day. The second camp say's they are garbage, the second camp does carbine courses and such and run their rifles hard. If you're a range shooter a DPMS would do just fine.
YoteSlayer69
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:34:50 PM
There's two camps, 1 camp is happy with their rifle and those are the people that usually just go to the range and shoot paper and don't dump 1000+ rounds a day. The second camp say's they are garbage, the second camp does carbine courses and such and run their rifles hard. If you're a range shooter a DPMS would do just fine.

+1.....When it comes time to really put some rounds thru a rifle. Thats when the few hundred more really matters. I started with a rifle below DPMS and have spent more to get a good reliable AR than if I would have just waited and bought a better one first.
darthlaidher
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:44:10 PM
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:

+1.....When it comes time to really put some rounds thru a rifle. Thats when the few hundred more really matters. I started with a rifle below DPMS and have spent more to get a good reliable AR than if I would have just waited and bought a better one first.

Yeah you can turn a DPMS into a rifle that you can use and abuse you just have to buy the parts for it, so essentially you're taking the DPMS shell and making it into a totally different gun with the exception of the barrel. I have a Bushmaster that functions flawlessly but i'm going to put a BCM full auto BCG in it in the coming weeks to help the future reliability of the rifle.
LongBow12
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:44:56 PM
why does this come up every week?
bcauz3y
I'm a Tactical penguin
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:45:32 PM

Originally Posted By LongBow12:
why does this come up every week?

Every week since January this year?
...I do understand that it is the profession that all others are expert save the people actually embroiled in it.
-Natty_Bumppo
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:53:46 PM
[Last Edit: 7/13/2012 11:55:02 PM by hotbiggun42]
OP just pass on DPMS. $600 is a lot of money and for another $150 you can get a very nice new Spikes Tactical AR15
Formergrunt94
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2012 11:58:38 PM
If I read your post's correctly, you said the rifle is $589 at Wal-Mart. If it was me, I would buy it and upgrade it by swapping the DPMS bolt with the BCM proofed bolt. It is

about 75 delivered to you. Run it wet, and shoot the mess out of it. Or look around for a S&W MP sport rifle. It is a bit more expensive but has a better reputation so far.

But if I had cash to burn, I think I would risk it on a 589 rifle.
Impulse control: it separates men from children and criminals.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED