Author
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:47:35 PM
I should be able to use the same pin when re-installing the extractor correct?

Thanks
Gregory_K
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:55:52 PM
Yes
007Kevin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 2:13:02 PM
Should I replace the spring behind the extractor pin?
Gregory_K
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 2:31:11 PM
Are you having FTE problems? If so then a stronger spring will help. Never wore out a extractor, but I only have maybe 10,000 on one rifle the rest much less.
007Kevin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 3:06:56 PM
Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
Are you having FTE problems? If so then a stronger spring will help. Never wore out a extractor, but I only have maybe 10,000 on one rifle the rest much less.

I am seeing signs of the extractor starting to fatigue, I just haven't gotten around to replacing/repairing it. Excess of 10k rds through it. I posted a thread 'Evidence of extractor failure" or something like that with pics of brass marking showing up forward of the ejection port. I was just thinking I see people going for the BCM kit but nobody talks about the extractor pin spring.
albatrossarmament
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 6:13:48 PM
Why not replace all 3 components, I mean a BCM spring and extra pin cant be more then $6
PredatorWhacker
Not a Fanboy of anything...
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 9:42:41 PM
Originally Posted By 007Kevin:

I am seeing signs of the extractor starting to fatigue, I just haven't gotten around to replacing/repairing it. Excess of 10k rds through it. I posted a thread 'Evidence of extractor failure" or something like that with pics of brass marking showing up forward of the ejection port. I was just thinking I see people going for the BCM kit but nobody talks about the extractor pin spring.

Sounds like a good time to install BCM extractor upgrade. No need to replace pin unless yours is damaged.
Make welfare as hard to get as a building permit....
007Kevin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:09:16 PM
Originally Posted By PredatorWhacker:

Sounds like a good time to install BCM extractor upgrade. No need to replace pin unless yours is damaged.

I wasn't talking about the pin but the spring behind it.
PredatorWhacker
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:27:02 PM

Thanks

That's weird. I could swear this is asking if you could use the pin again. The BCM extractor kit includes the spring, extractor, and a "pin" though. Even though you don't "need" to replace the pin, might as well, being kit comes with one. I think replacing the spring would be almost as valuable as the extractor.

Bolt upgrade.

Or you could go the cheap route and just find a extractor and spring. BCM doesn't offer that option however.

baxsom
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:35:31 PM

there is no spring behind the extractor pin. there is the extractor spring. are you thinking of the ejector spring?
007Kevin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2012 2:48:03 AM
[Last Edit: 6/29/2012 2:50:28 AM by 007Kevin]

Thanks

That's weird. I could swear this is asking if you could use the pin again. The BCM extractor kit includes the spring, extractor, and a "pin" though. Even though you don't "need" to replace the pin, might as well, being kit comes with one. I think replacing the spring would be almost as valuable as the extractor.

Bolt upgrade.

Or you could go the cheap route and just find a extractor and spring. BCM doesn't offer that option however.

Sorry for the confusion, ejector spring is what I meant.
007Kevin
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2012 2:48:50 AM
Originally Posted By baxsom:

there is no spring behind the extractor pin. there is the extractor spring. are you thinking of the ejector spring?

Yes, that must be it. Sorry for the wrong terminology.
cosmos556
Someone completely forgettable
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:59:19 AM
I don't see why not.
"I'd like a milksteak boiled over hard and an order of your finest jellybeans served raw." ~Charlie Kelly
PFC
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2012 8:48:00 AM
With that many rounds on it and you have it apart, go ahead and replace the spring.
I would also look over the ejector closely.
The pin should be ok.
PredatorWhacker
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2012 10:14:15 AM
Originally Posted By baxsom:

Good catch baxsom. I need to get me one of those decoder rings. lol!