BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:12:53 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I finished my first build this week, using a PSA lower and LPK, a PSA 20" assembled upper, and a BCM BCG. I took it to the range today to zero the sights in, and ran into an issue. I was using Tapco mags and Aguila ammo, and the rifle would jam when feeding on the right ramp about every 8 to 10 rounds. The bullet wouldn't ride up the ramp, it would stick on the ramp and the BCG would push the bullet back into the case about 1/2 inch. I didn't have any other ammo or mag brands to test, so I'm not sure where the problem is. It feeds fine on the left ramp.

Has anyone experienced this? Being a AR15 newb, I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose this problem. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

I finished my first build this week, using a PSA lower and LPK, a PSA 20" assembled upper, and a BCM BCG. I took it to the range today to zero the sights in, and ran into an issue. I was using Tapco mags and Aguila ammo, and the rifle would jam when feeding on the right ramp about every 8 to 10 rounds. The bullet wouldn't ride up the ramp, it would stick on the ramp and the BCG would push the bullet back into the case about 1/2 inch. I didn't have any other ammo or mag brands to test, so I'm not sure where the problem is. It feeds fine on the left ramp.

Has anyone experienced this? Being a AR15 newb, I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose this problem. Thanks!

Can you get a pic of the feed ramps?

My first impression would be a mag problem.. considering they are Tapco... How many different mags did you try?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
First off... Welcome!

Sounds like a bad mag. How many do you have to try? Stick with Pmags or quality USGIs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be willing to bet its a bad mag(s).  Use USGI, Pmags, or Lancer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a shot of the ramps. If you look, you can see that the feeds aren't symmetrical.

I only tried Tapcos since that was all I had with me. It happened with both of my Tapco mags.

I figured it was the mags, since the loading issues I've had with other firearms usually boil down to mag issues. I didn't want to order a bunch of mags without a second or third opinion though.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/711/rampss.jpg

and the jammed cartridges:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6118/cartss.jpg
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's a shot of the ramps. If you look, you can see that the feeds aren't symmetrical.

I only tried Tapcos since that was all I had with me. It happened with both of my Tapco mags.

I figured it was the mags, since the loading issues I've had with other firearms usually boil down to mag issues. I didn't want to order a bunch of mags without a second or third opinion though.

It's not the mags... That upper needs to go back to PSA. The extension ramps are not lining up with the upper properly. The bullet is jamming in the little hole between the upper and extension and getting stuck. It should be a smooth transition between the bottom of the ramp on the upper and the top of the ramp on the barrel extension. Email PSA about it. Send them the pics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the mags... That upper needs to go back to PSA. The extension ramps are not lining up with the upper properly. The bullet is jamming in the little hole between the upper and extension and getting stuck. It should be a smooth transition between the bottom of the ramp on the upper and the top of the ramp on the barrel extension. Email PSA about it. Send them the pics.

Are you talking about the right, or the left feedramp? Yes, they aren't aligned right, but to me the LEFT feedramp looks worse that the right one, yet its the right one thats causing problems.

At any rate, contact PSA.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably a bit of both.  The barrel extension isn't lining up with the receiver.  Could just be that the barrel rotated a little when it was installed in the receiver, or that the index pin is off center.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]
That's some pretty shotty quality control right there. You can see where the rounds are hanging up. Look at the left side of the right ramp. Clear as day the rounds are getting jammed up on the edge of the barrel extension ramp.

I'll bet the headspace is way out on the rifle as well. I wouldn't shoot even one more round out of that thing, and I would demand it be fixed or replaced. Think about it this way; you have an explosion that produces close to 60,000PSI going off 3 inches from your face. Is it worth it?

Send it back and get it fixed or replaced, and never buy from that manufacturer again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's some pretty shotty quality control right there. You can see where the rounds are hanging up. Look at the left side of the right ramp. Clear as day the rounds are getting jammed up on the edge of the barrel extension ramp.

I'll bet the headspace is way out on the rifle as well. I wouldn't shoot even one more round out of that thing, and I would demand it be fixed or replaced. Think about it this way; you have an explosion that produces close to 60,000PSI going off 3 inches from your face. Is it worth it?

Send it back and get it fixed or replaced, and never buy from that manufacturer again.

It's just a clocked barrel, needs to be re indexed.  Simple adjustment but I agree, very dangerous in your case.  Any of those rounds could've blown your upper to pieces if you got them to feed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I think from the way it's clocked, the left ramp still feeds fine, but the right clips the feed ramp.

PSA is closed today, but I'll give them a call Monday. I looked everything over when I received the upper, but there was so much grease on the ramps I guess I missed the misalignment.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably a little of both.
Possibly more on the mag.

Your "on deck" cartridge should look similar to this......

Pmags and USGI mags are cheap.
Why monkey with Tapco ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
When your bolt is stripping the rounds for the right side, they are dipping enough for them to catch on the lip that

is there due to your barrel extension not matching you upped feed ramps.  10 seconds with a file would fix it if you

decided to do so.

I highly doubt your headspace is off from that minor of a clocking issue.

You could probably shim on your index pin to make the extension and upper receiver cuts line up better too.

edited to add -

Different mags might fix the problem for now, but the potential for it to re-occur would still be there.

Fix it yourself or send it back.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about the right, or the left feedramp? Yes, they aren't aligned right, but to me the LEFT feedramp looks worse that the right one, yet its the right one thats causing problems.

At any rate, contact PSA.

Yes the left looks worse. But look at the copper markings on the inside of the left ramp on the barrel extension. If it hooks between the extension and receiver, it's a no go. Also if the extension is so far out that the bullet misses the ramp and hits the flat, It's a no go. Extension is out of alinement. Extension is not fitting with the upper receiver.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Lz, where did you get the barrel from? It could be that you got a rifle extenison on a M4 upper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow, that looks like crap.  Call PSA, the ramps are not lined up correctly.  I can see the brass marks on the right side.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Probably a bit of both.  The barrel extension isn't lining up with the receiver.  Could just be that the barrel rotated a little when it was installed in the receiver, or that the index pin is off center.

This is what I see too. You can see where the bullets are riding up.

I have the same problem with one of my ARs, but that's because the upper is a large pin SP2 with an offset bushing arpund the front pin. And because of that, the rounds WILL hit the edge of the barrel extension if you dont wedge the mag forward. I need to fix that......
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
The 5th round from the right reminds me of one of the pieces of brass from the Colt kaboom thread that everyone said was run over by a lawnmower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't look like your barrel extension is lining up with your feed ramps. I'm no expert, but if you've had the same problem with multiple magazines, I'd start there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm wondering what the crimp is like on that ammo to push all the bullets back like that. Maybe with a bad enough feeding problem a good crimp wouldn't matter? I don't have enough experience with this stuff to know. Maybe someone that does could chime in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm wondering what the crimp is like on that ammo to push all the bullets back like that. Maybe with a bad enough feeding problem a good crimp wouldn't matter? I don't have enough experience with this stuff to know. Maybe someone that does could chime in.

I thought about lack of crimp when I saw the photos.
Aguila ammo ?

1) I think his Tapco mag is presenting the on deck cartridge at a less than favorable angle.
2) Weak crimp or more likely, no crimp.
3) Barrel extension could have been indexed a little better.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lz, where did you get the barrel from? It could be that you got a rifle extenison on a M4 upper.

It's a PSA upper and barrel: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/20-madness-20-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When your bolt is stripping the rounds for the right side, they are dipping enough for them to catch on the lip that
is there due to your barrel extension not matching you upped feed ramps.  10 seconds with a file would fix it if you
decided to do so.  

I thought about getting the round file out this morning, but could I screw anything up by filing the ramps wider then they are supposed to be?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I would not take a file to that thing. If there is a problem with the feed ramps I'd send it back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
decided to do so.  

I thought about getting the round file out this morning, but could I screw anything up by filing the ramps wider then they are supposed to be?

If you want to send it back, don't monkey with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The 5th round from the right reminds me of one of the pieces of brass from the Colt kaboom thread that everyone said was run over by a lawnmower.

I had the same thought.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#26]
If you file on that thing and something happens later down the road, they more than likely won't take responsibility for the problem.

Let PSA fix their fuck up, and don't do anything to it before sending it back. Liability is a bitch, especially nowadays!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I was just wondering if PSA still has their 6 points of quality control?

Ha ha ... talk is cheap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you tried a different mag?

Finestkind
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same thought.

Wow, had he dropped the hammer on one of those rounds, he would have had a KB.

To the OP, don't fire that weapon again. Get it fixed. If you fire a round with the bullet pushed back into the case you will get an over pressure situation and could harm yourself.

I'm very surprised this didn't turn out to be a PSA kaboom thread.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#30]
OP send it back to PSA. I had the EXACT problem with a new M&P15 T a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The red circle and arrow show the problem very clearly:

There is a "ledge" that the bullet tips are hanging up on.

And it raises another question - is that a crack at the blue arrow?

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]
mine is a new PSA as well. Is not perfect lined but I shot like 40 rounds of wapa .223 55g through it and it was fine, no jam. I haven't shot more since then. Your looks worse though but I should try shoot some more ... or you guys think if i could shoot those wolf ammo just fine, will I be fine like this?
Sorry for the pics, is from the cel and doesn't focus really well.

see the left side from the right ramp?

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.mrossnet.com/Arfcom.jpg

The blue circle is not a crack. It looks like marks made  by the bolt assembly hitting the extension ramp ring. There's a similar mark on the right, but you can't see it in the image because of glare.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
mine is a new PSA as well. Is not perfect lined but I shot like 40 rounds of wapa .223 55g through it and it was fine, no jam. I haven't shot more since then. Your looks worse though but I should try shoot some more ... or you guys think if i could shoot those wolf ammo just fine, will I be fine like this?
Sorry for the pics, is from the cel and doesn't focus really well.

see the left side from the right ramp?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mea35l.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/102tiy8.jpg

Extension doesn't look aligned correctly like the OPs. Untill you put a few more rounds through it, it's too soon to call it good to go. The 40 rounds isn't even two mags. But if it hasn't had a problem yet, so far so good. Don't get all hypochondriac'd because one gun from the manufacture has an issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
ivanotano, what mags are you using?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ivanotano, what mags are you using?

pmags
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#37]
DItto

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, is the Tapco mag the only one you tried?

I'd also be concerned about neck tension on that ammo. Surprising how far the bullets are getting pushed in the case.

Can you post a pic of your entire rifle showing PSA logo? Not suggesting you are BSing us so please don't be offended. There have just been a couple first time posters posting pics claiming an issue with a PSA upper but when asked to post a pic showing the PSA stamp on the receiver or barrel stamp they mysteriously stop posting. It would help us hold PSA accountable. They need to make some changes if this is happening.

That being said, don't shoot that rifle or ammo anymore till you get things figured out. Definitely dangerous. If you saw the recent Colt blow up thread you can see what happens when things go wrong. Whatever the cause.

Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Neck tension for .223/5.56 ammo is not high enough to stop the bolt slamming forward with the force of the recoil spring from pushing the bullet deep into a case like that!.

Most 55gn loads are seated not to very far from the ogive of the bullet, making it even easier to push the bullet that far into the case. Even with a tight crimp.

I've had probably hundreds of mil spec rounds do the same thing from malfunctioning weapons. Mil spec ammo is crimped AND sealed.

I wouldn't worry to much about the ammo. I think things are getting way to far read into here..

ETA:
Quoted:
Can you post a pic of your entire rifle showing PSA logo? Not suggesting you are BSing us so please don't be offended. There have just been a couple first time posters posting pics claiming an issue with a PSA upper but when asked to post a pic showing the PSA stamp on the receiver or barrel stamp they mysteriously stop posting. It would help us hold PSA accountable. They need to make some changes if this is happening.

Wow, are you serious man? Way to go on callin the new guy a POS! Your user title says "Not a fanboy of anything". Are you sure about that?

To the OP; Welcome to ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The upper isn't marked (see PSA's product page stating such) but here's pictures of the barrel stamp and marked lower with my user name. I can't authenticate it more than that. I'm not here to bash PSA and I don't have a secret agenda; I went with them because I heard good things about their product and I wanted to support a company in my home state.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6229/20120617000143.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4065/img3123m.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#41]
It's very hard to troubleshoot from pictures. Im thinking bad magazine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's very hard to troubleshoot from pictures. Im thinking bad magazine.

I agree, although the feed ramps could be cleaner.
The rounds are being fed too low.
I would bet that a good mag, feeding at the desired angle, would take the sloppy ramps out of play.

I still would like to see the OP send it back to be fixed by the builder.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper isn't marked (see PSA's product page stating such) but here's pictures of the barrel stamp and marked lower with my user name. I can't authenticate it more than that. I'm not here to bash PSA and I don't have a secret agenda; I went with them because I heard good things about their product and I wanted to support a company in my home state.

why yours says PSA and mine says Palmetto??
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neck tension for .223/5.56 ammo is not high enough to stop the bolt slamming forward with the force of the recoil spring from pushing the bullet deep into a case like that!.

Most 55gn loads are seated not to very far from the ogive of the bullet, making it even easier to push the bullet that far into the case. Even with a tight crimp.

I've had probably hundreds of mil spec rounds do the same thing from malfunctioning weapons. Mil spec ammo is crimped AND sealed.

I wouldn't worry to much about the ammo. I think things are getting way to far read into here..

ETA:
Quoted:

Wow, are you serious man? Way to go on callin the new guy a POS! Your user title says "Not a fanboy of anything". Are you sure about that?

To the OP; Welcome to ARFCOM!

I'm aware that even cartridges with proper neck tension or crimp can do that. Seen it myself also. Also have seen much worse feedramps than that work just fine. Takes two seconds to do a push test on those cartridges to make sure there isn't a problem and avoid blowing some other rifle up because someone assures him not to worry it about and just disregard the possibility.

As for your other concerns, I could care less what you think. Don't recall calling him a "POS". I have my reasons for asking. Sorry you are reading more into it.

OP, as I said, I wasn't trying to imply you weren't being truthful. I thought I was fairly clear on that but maybe not. I apologize if it seemed that way. Not my intention.

There have just been several recent issues with PSA products and if they don't have their shit together, which it's starting to look like, I'm going to hold off recommending them to friends. I thought they were past this but maybe not. There are other places to deal with where this isnt a concern. But with the internet making it so easy to make things appear other than it really is, as has often been done, just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those instances. There are a few people out there with an agenda and it would be easy to do. Speaking with several others, I'm not alone wondering this. I haven't had a problem with their rifles but almost every order I've made has had some mistake. They are quick to make it right but it's beginning to seem obvious someone isn't paying attention there.  Mistakes are starting to seem more like the rule than the exception.

Again, sorry if my request seemed accusatory. As I said, I had my reasons for asking. Almost didn't because I figured somebody would overreact. They did. (not you) Thank you for posting the pic. Appreciate it.

Take care

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.tinypic.com/14xp4wi.jpg

Different lot numbers, different day of the week, different barrel suppliers, different guy on the stamping machine, PSA ordered a different stamp code. Take your pick.

Cool to see a PSA guy come in this... place. I'm sure they will take care of the OP.

Let's see... New guy comes with issue on gun. Forum responds with possible diagnosis. Fix is contact manufacture for repair. Purse swinging starts. Manufacture shows up before the next working day since thread started, offering to make it right... I see more purse swinging in this threads future followed by fan boy manufacture smearing, personal attacks, non-tech discussion, and the inevitable... System Message (that no longer contains a message).

This thread is nearing the end. IBTL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.tinypic.com/14xp4wi.jpg

Could be that your barrel is CHF and the OP's isn't. Other than that, as clickbangbang said. No telling, but they are both from PSA.

OP, keep us updated.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:33:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.mrossnet.com/Arfcom.jpg

Yall need to read the thread - MikefromTx already found the problem - its the ledge behind the feed ramps.

Those ramps are fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#49]

How does anyone get their rifle that clean???

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://i49.tinypic.com/102tiy8.jpg

How does anyone get their rifle that clean???

My guess ... never fire it!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top