Site Notices
9/2/2014 6:40:42 PM
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
Posted: 5/19/2012 8:18:05 AM
Gents...

I am currently in the process of trading away one of my firearms, and have a couple of offers on the table. One of the offers I have gotten is for what has been described to me as a Colt 20" Sporter HBAR. I believe it has a flat top upper with removeable carry handle, and is said to be a "competition match" rifle. All of my experience with AR rifles has been spent on the M4 style setups exclusively, and I know nothing outside of that. I am aware of the fact that Colt is generally held in high regard when it comes to carbines like the LE6920, but does the same hold true for a rifle like the one mentioned above?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated, as I need to make a decision about this deal rather quickly.

Thanks.
CamoColt
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 8:38:45 AM
Originally Posted By ShrubmasterM4A3:
Gents...

I am currently in the process of trading away one of my firearms, and have a couple of offers on the table. One of the offers I have gotten is for what has been described to me as a Colt 20" Sporter HBAR. I believe it has a flat top upper with removeable carry handle, and is said to be a "competition match" rifle. All of my experience with AR rifles has been spent on the M4 style setups exclusively, and I know nothing outside of that. I am aware of the fact that Colt is generally held in high regard when it comes to carbines like the LE6920, but does the same hold true for a rifle like the one mentioned above?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated, as I need to make a decision about this deal rather quickly.

Thanks.

The HBAR means heavy barrel. In competition shooting where you are firing many rounds in a short time, the barrel will not heat up and change accuracy as fast. A big advantage. Look to spend from $600 and up on one. Scoped, bench rested, and sighted in at 100 yards it should place all shots in a 3 shot group of 1/2" or less.
ShrubmasterM4A3
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 8:46:04 AM
So, the draw to a rifle such as this would be excellent accuracy potential? Nothing wrong with that. You mention that they can be had for around $600.00 and up... Ouch! I was hoping to find out that the Colt was worth more than that. At any rate, do the HBAR rifles hold the same level of quality standard as Colt's LE Carbine? Or, are they just another AR?
Cycline3
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:28:01 AM
Originally Posted By ShrubmasterM4A3:
So, the draw to a rifle such as this would be excellent accuracy potential? Nothing wrong with that. You mention that they can be had for around $600.00 and up... Ouch! I was hoping to find out that the Colt was worth more than that. At any rate, do the HBAR rifles hold the same level of quality standard as Colt's LE Carbine? Or, are they just another AR?

Absolutely. I have a 6601 and I love it. However, the reality is, the quality is the same: excellent, but the value is not because the M4 is all the rage. A Colt HBAR will retain most of its value just like any other Colt, it's just not going to be as high as a 6920/40.. or one of the other carbine models simply because it is not as popular. At least for the moment.
ezlife45
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:11:52 AM
Back in the day when they didn't really offer M-4 styles it was the "thing" to get.

There were some Match target HBAR rifles in both the Fixed A-2 and removable A-3 upper receivers. Older vintages also got into the larger fire control pins (.172 instead of .154 I believe) and some of them even had the larger front takedown pin. They all should be milspec for current production. The earlier HBAR rifles did not come free floated. There were some later models that did. My experience was with a blue label 6700. Vintage early 90's
Berserkr556
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:25:55 AM
My first AR was an Colt AR-15A2 HBAR green label back in the day when they first hit the market. It wasn't the Match version but man that thing would shoot. I wished i could have kept it but times got hard and i sold it The "Match" rifle isn't my thing but they are nice if you're into Camp Perry type shooting and they were quality rifles.
ShrubmasterM4A3
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 11:13:01 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. Basically it sounds like these Colt rifles are considered to be the cat's meow when it comes to full length rifles, but lack the market appeal of the more popular carbine type AR's that currently dominate the market. I'm guessing that if a guy were to pick up a full length Colt AR with a heavy barrel and removeable flat top... I wouldn't be laughed off the range, except for maybe by guys who simply don't appreciate a full length rifle.

From what I'm gathering here, I may try to snag this one up if I'm able to make a deal happen. My other option is for a Bushmaster carbine with a bunch of mags, and an A2 type upper. I've had good luck with Bushmaster in the past, but I'm thinking the Colt 20" may be the better rifle overall.
Berserkr556
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 11:58:05 AM
I'd buy the Colt over a bushmaster anyday. If you really want a carbine get a BCM, Colt, DD or a PSA.
intervivos
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:02:01 PM
Originally Posted By CamoColt:

The HBAR means heavy barrel. In competition shooting where you are firing many rounds in a short time, the barrel will not heat up and change accuracy as fast. A big advantage. Look to spend from $600 and up on one. Scoped, bench rested, and sighted in at 100 yards it should place all shots in a 3 shot group of 1/2" or less.

If your rifle is that accurate then it is a fluke and don't change a thing to it ever. Generally the rifle is at best a 1MOA but more likely a 1.5 to 2MOA rifle with good match ammo. With off the shelf ammo expect 2-4" groups at 100.

ShrubmasterM4A3
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:16:24 PM
Originally Posted By intervivos:
Originally Posted By CamoColt:

If your rifle is that accurate then it is a fluke and don't change a thing to it ever. Generally the rifle is at best a 1MOA but more likely a 1.5 to 2MOA rifle with good match ammo. With off the shelf ammo expect 2-4" groups at 100.

The 20" HBAR configuration is a 2MOA rifle? And, with match grade ammo? That's not terribly impressive IMHO.

GySgt_D
Wore MARPAT to breakfast
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:18:58 PM
[Last Edit: 5/19/2012 12:24:37 PM by GySgt_D]
A Colt Sporter Match HBAR was my first AR; purchased back in '91 before Southern California was completely overrun with alien ideologies.

Note that it has a slab-sided receiver, no bayo lug, and a sear block.

This particular rifle, IIRC, has never done better than perhaps 2 moa with this setup, but
it isn't the easiest thing in the world to get sub-MOA groups with a 4x optic.