Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:56:37 PM EDT
I just got my NSR in today and got it installed. My first impressions of it is that it is a high quality piece with an amazing fit and finish. Also, the thing is thin and light, yet not too thin to be uncomfortable. I am liking the keymod system from just what I have done with it on my AFG. I am willing to do a write-up of sorts for the AFG mod if there is any interest. Lastly, if anyone has any questions or wants more pictures just let me know and I'll see what I can do. There wasn't much about these when I purchased one, but I am glad I did and I hope this helps some people make up their minds.

Please excuse the floor, it's the polymer from the AFG...

This AFG is thinned up in the front just a little if that helps to compare for size.

Notice how there is only one screw in the rear "triangle". The key mod only needed one screw to keep the afg tight on the rail. It seems to be really solid for now.

Images don't seem to be rotated like they should...
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What length rail and barrel do you have there?

That looks great.  When these came out I thought they were very innovative looking.  

I love my MI Gen2 SS.  But that doesn't stop me for wanting one of these too unfortunately.  

I like the fact it's not round.  It actually looks thin in the right places if that makes any sense.  Looks good on the gun and comfortable looking too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool rail
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My NSR 11 gets here this afternoon, according to UPS.  I'll post up weights/pics etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a 13.5" raill on a 16" (soon to be 14.5") barrel. Yeah post them pictures up!
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Explain the AFG Mod please

EDIT: had to add, damn thats a sexy rifle, I might have to get my hands on one of those rails
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comments everyone. Alright here is the how-to.

First, I'd like to say plastic welding is hard, so it's not pretty, but it's functional.

Here is the top of the AFG each of the circles are about 2-3mm thick and are polymer from a mag. They are plastic welded and jb welded on. I'm not good at plastic welding that is why they don't look so good... at least they are strong.
Also, there is the modified backing to the screw for a magpul rail attachment, cut into the keyhole shape. The FDE areas are where I had to remove material.

The side cutout shows how the pieces were plastic welded on the seam in the middle, and where the screw lies in the "triangle" of the AFG.

Finally, I melted the polymer into the holes where the original screw went to make it look like they were not there.

Basically, the screw clamps the AFG don on to the handguard while the circle extrusions hold the AFG from sliding and twisting. When the screw is loosened the AFG can pull up and slide out of the handguard.

So, I tried to find an easier and better way of doing it for my handstop because i did not like the AFG on this particular handguard.

I was messing around and found out that the heads of the screws that would hold the AFG or RVG to the rail fit perfectly into the holes on the NSR.

The top cutout shows the slotted magpul screw acting as the circular piece that the polymer circle acted as for the AFG. Again, there is a modified Magpul rail attachment and screw below it. My camera made it seem as if the holes are crooked but they are really not.

Bottom shot. I still need to shave the screw down flush so it isn't so long.

Like on the AFG I melted and plastic welded material into the screw holes to fill them. I also had to plastic weld the piece that slides in and out on the RVG into the grip to make it one solid piece

A fresh coat of RIt Dye to cover the FDE and a little more finishing work and I think both pieces will be set.

My poor polymer donor.

More pictures of the gun. ( I'm no Stickman by any means )

~Ben

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats pretty nice, great idea with using the 'key'

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My NSR 11 gets here this afternoon, according to UPS.  I'll post up weights/pics etc.

Where are you getting the NSR11 from?
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicely done. If I may ask, what scope is that? Looks like it has a ton of eye relief.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Love the NSR. IF you could, could you give us the specs on the whole gun?
It would be greatly aprreciated. That is a SWEET looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry for the long wait on the response, but it's a leupold VX-II 1-4x scope.

The specs are:
NSR 13.5
Rainier ultramatch 16"
Troy BUIS
Surefire M600
Surefire MB556k
Larue SPR-E with VX-II
MIAD grip
Sopmod Stock
Gunfighter MOD 4

I'll get an updated picture later... still got to get around to painting the rail to match the receivers and cutting the barrel to 14.5"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top