Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2012 10:11:02 AM EDT
Any thoughts on the S&W M&Ps?  Are they quality products, compared to say a Stag or an LMT?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
At one time Pat Rogers recommended them. Don't know if he still does.
The VT looks nice

A few of there models I would say are just as good as my LMT
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the M&P 15X and the only complaint I have is that it is picky about ammo.  It does not like steel cased ammo, and most people will tell you that you should NEVER use steel cased ammo in your AR.  My thought is if it can't shoot the steel then it is a quality issue with the rifle.  Now if I have it dripping wet with lube it will shoot the steel stuff.  I just built a PSA and it will eat anything and cost me about $300 less.  Quality is top notch in the M&P though, mine came with a Troy rear folding sight and quad rail.  I have since added a Eotech and it is my go to SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They have a wide product line that caters to just about everyone, the m&p ts comes with a 1/7 cmv barrel. Other models have piston setups, and everything in between

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No quality issues with my M&P OR. I also spend some time on the S&W specific forums and can say that there are few if any complaints. For me (range shooter), it's been a great entry into the AR world and quality complete build.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not one hick up out of mine yet.  Goes bang everytime with all of my reloads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Colt guy but the M&P gets my attention.  They make quality products and have good customer service.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a S&W M&P M4gery for about 4 years now. A few thousand rounds with no issues. It seems more accurate than other 1:9 chrome lined that i have been around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not one hick up out of mine yet.  Goes bang everytime with all of my reloads.

Ditto and I've purposefully shot handloads from gun to gun to highlight any issues that might come up from slight differences in case sizing.

All controls are positive and the trigger is great {for a hard single-stage "GI" trigger}.

No malfunctions yet but I've only fired about 500 rounds.

I like it...a lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My buddy has one  with about 2,000 rds thru it .Iam impressed with the quality & accuracy of his rifle .I read an article saying they are building everything in house for the M&P rifles,
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the M&P15 sport and love the gun, It is a little picky on ammo like stated. It runs 100% with steel for me though and brass also. But some reloads do not like to chamber completely but the same ones in my other AR chamber fine and go boom. I think I may have fixed the issue though with changing my die sizing a bit will see next time I hit the range. But I would highly recommend the gun if someone was looking for a complete gun for a good price
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had a S&W M&P M4gery for about 4 years now. A few thousand rounds with no issues. It seems more accurate than other 1:9 chrome lined that i have been around.

Last I heard T/C was providing the barrels, that might provide the edge in accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen quite a few at our club. last time there a fella had a cheaper model. no port door or F/A.

He shot a shit load 3-400 rnds. of that steel cased Tula through it. I never noticed any malfunctions.

they must be priced right I guess?
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]
A buddy of mine has the VTAC 1. It's the tits.

The VTAC 2 has has a 5r 1x8 barrel, a nice Troy free float rail, VTAC sling, and a pimpy Giselle trigger.

They're good guns.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine has the VTAC 1. It's the tits.

The VTAC 2 has has a 5r 1x8 barrel, a nice Troy free float rail, VTAC sling, and a pimply Giselle trigger.

They're good guns.

thats one model I would  be happy to own.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the FT model here in ny, and it has been great. No problems at all.  From fit and finish to functioning.........perfect. Cant complain.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the M&P15 MOE never had an issue with it. only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a full milspec rifle (minus FA of course) but I would recommend them to some one wanting a quality AR

It looks like they have gone away from the 1/9 barrels and are using 1/8 in some of the newer models
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the M&P 15X and the only complaint I have is that it is picky about ammo.  It does not like steel cased ammo, and most people will tell you that you should NEVER use steel cased ammo in your AR.  My thought is if it can't shoot the steel then it is a quality issue with the rifle.  Now if I have it dripping wet with lube it will shoot the steel stuff.  I just built a PSA and it will eat anything and cost me about $300 less.  Quality is top notch in the M&P though, mine came with a Troy rear folding sight and quad rail.  I have since added a Eotech and it is my go to SHTF rifle.

I had the same experience with my M&P 15 a few years back.    Ate brass cased all day long, but any steel cased would frequently stick in the chamber.  Sent it back to S&W who apparently reamed the chamber out, and the problems persisted.  

My 20" PSA build eats anything.   I would get a PSA over an M&P15

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top