Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2012 5:52:55 PM EDT
So I picked up an SP1 on a deal (see below link) Looks like it is is from 1980 based on the SN. I'm pretty sure it all original, but I notice there are earlier uppers with forward assist. Was this something that was introduced before or after 1980 or before but only select models?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1301764_What_is_a_fair_deal_for_a_Polytech_AK_and_a_Colt_AR___Got_Both_for__2100__How_did_I_do__Pics_in_OP.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Early 1960's.  It was an Army requirement for adoption.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

so is that upper pre "early 1960's" or did they make uppers after that also that did not have forward assists?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They made both. I don't think Colt ever threw anything away so they sold slick sides long after F/A was standard issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so is that upper pre "early 1960's" or did they make uppers after that also that did not have forward assists?

All of the Colt SP1's had "slick side" uppers. Never knew why.  The early M16/AR15's did not have a forward assist and Stoner did not think it was needed.

Colt may have had thousands of them laying around and just used them up.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the clarification guys!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top