Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:36:48 PM EDT
I built this rifle on Friday night, got out to the range today.

Rifle Specs:

PSA Mid Length Upper
SAA Lower
PSA BCG
PSA LPK
Magpul MOE handguards
Magpul MOE PG
CavArms C1 Stock
Fulton Armory buttplate
Fulton Armory rifle buffer tube / rifle buffer / spring
Daniel Defense 1.5 rear sight

Ammo Used:

250 rounds of MPS steel case 5.56
300 rounds of Silver Bear steel case 5.56
100 rounds of M855 (federal)
100 rounds of Remington green box .223

750 rounds total fired today.

Shooting obersvations:

This rifle is one of the smoothest shooting AR's I've shot to date, the mid length system with the rifle buffer is awesome.

I set the zero at 25 yards first, then at 50 yards (used rifle rest at 25 yards then at 50. The gentleman who owned the rest packed up before I could use it on the 100 yard line), I proceeded to bust clay pigeons on the 50 - 100 yard berms for the remainder of the afternoon.

Once I figured out the POA / POI for the 50 yard zero at 100 yards, it was easy work to hit the clay pigeons with the appropriate hold over. I really like the DD 1.5 rear sight.

ZERO issues, ran the rifle wet with CLP.

I did not shoot for groups, but if some of you MOA guru's can figure out what "minute of clay pigeon" is, that is how it shoots.

Overall I am very satisfied with this rifle, and really enjoy the "A1" / Mid length setup, by far my favorite to date.

Next steps:

- As funds allow, I will get a good optic for this rifle. I want to retain the DD 1.5, so I am leaning towards the aimpoint pro / eotech xps-2.
- Add a IWC light mount for my G2
- Add either a mount n slot for the MOE or one of the Israeli style here as my Gearsector sling has an HK adapter on it at present
- More ammo and more range time.

Best,

Fin
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Which upper was it exactly?

Subscribed for target pics at a later date...
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice. Rifle stocked middies just look right. I have one in the works as well. Just waiting for the handguard. Old A1 stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
very nice
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.
I like the parts list.

What is the finish difference (anodizing) between PSA and SAA ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which upper was it exactly?

Subscribed for target pics at a later date...

Non CHF govt profile.

I'll get it on paper for you weekend after next, 10 shot groups per arfcom standard.

Quoted:
Nice.
I like the parts list.

What is the finish difference (anodizing) between PSA and SAA ?

Once rubbed down with CLP little to none.

Out if the box the lower had a gloss black to it, while the PSA upper had that pasty grey film on it, that went away when wiped down.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as optics go:

I'm torn between the aimpoint pro and the eotech xps series.

Are the eotech negatives out there associated with the xps series?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my XPS I have the 2-2 it has the dual dot similar to the idea behind Nikons BDC reticle.  I have it on my 20" and makes for shooting 200m easy with it zeroed at 100m.  My friend has the single dot version not sure of the model it does not have the 65 MOA ring which I like but he likes his a lot also.
Batteries for the XPS are a little more because it uses the C123A but if you use flashlights most likely you already use that battery and can just buy in bulk like I do.
Nice rifle by the way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered a Moe vfg for the rifle.

I like to use it as a thumb break.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Really nice setup!!!  I LIKE it!  As a ban state'r, this is right up my alley.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
the quality we are getting these days in terms of bang for buck is absurd.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
nice AR! I have an eotech 512 but was looking at the xps and want one for my next build.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Really nice setup!!!  I LIKE it!  As a ban state'r, this is right up my alley.

I found that I preferred the A1 stock for two reasons. Its a better cheekweld and its the same length as I run a collapsible. The added bonus is the soft recoil of the rifle buffer.

For a non sbr, its my favorite setup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good! Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
So I got out to the range again today, and will continue to chronicle this rifle.

Here is the rifle with my orange (rit dye PMAG).

Changes in the rifle:

Since my last range trip I threw on my bushnell trs-25 in a UTG riser. I had this mounted to my 74 on the ultimak rail, and has served well on that rifle.

I zeroed using the 25 yard - 50/200 yard aimpoint zero targets found in the optic sticky.

This trip I took two new shooters, who had never fired a "self repeating carbine", needless to say, the rifle saw a lot of mag dumps, which is not my typical routine. (yes they are there, but I like to plink at things).

Ammo Used:

250 rounds of MFS steel case
200 rounds of Silver Bear
150 rounds of M855
20 rounds of Remington SP 55 grain (one of the guys went to bass pro and bought a box of it.)

620 rounds fired this trip.

1370 rounds fired total.

Shooting observations:

She's a shooter.

Nothing negative to report about the rifle, ran it wet, and it gobbled up all the steel case stuff.

I shot two 10 round groups at 100 yards off a sandbag while leaning up against the bench, didn't have a chair.. The rifle was 'warm" and shots were taken 15 min after range went cold.

This was done with the Federal 62 grain stuff

Not impressive by any means, but I'm happy as its not a target rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
For a practical rifle that looks like fine accuracy.  Got some close 3 shot groupers there.. keep it, shoot it, love it.  I like it... I'm shooting a carbine with a rifle stock/buffer system.  Def a bit different from the carbine buffers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For a practical rifle that looks like fine accuracy.  Got some close 3 shot groupers there.. keep it, shoot it, love it.  I like it... I'm shooting a carbine with a rifle stock/buffer system.  Def a bit different from the carbine buffers.

It could do better under the proper conditions and 77 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Can anyone do the moa group-spread thing?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice looking rifle, thanks for the range reports
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Those look like decent groupings considering you had no magnification.

Keep us updated. I love reading these kind of reports.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those look like decent groupings considering you had no magnification.

Keep us updated. I love reading these kind of reports.

I will update each time I shoot.

Its 4 moa dot, so it covered up the center of the target.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Great thread.

That is one of the most useful-looking rifles I've seen in a long time.  Looks like it must handle superbly.  Nice job and nice shooting, too.

I need to replace my Pogo Stick stock with one like you have there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great thread.

That is one of the most useful-looking rifles I've seen in a long time.  Looks like it must handy superbly.  Nice job and nice shooting, too.

I need to replace my Pogo Stick stock with one like you have there.

It really does handle nicely, for me at least.

Unless I'm going for a specific clone, I'm sticking with the c1 stocks from here on out. Fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Unless I'm going for a specific clone, I'm sticking with the c1 stocks from here on out. Fits perfectly.

Help me out.

What stock is that and what all do you need to replace a collapsible, price, etc?

All I care about is shooting and that wobbly thing is not the best...

Having said that, I may wait till my other one shows up and just keep the stubby gun for the pickup and the bedroom.

So-to-speak.

Regardless, I really think you have a dandy there.  Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Help me out.

What stock is that and what all do you need to replace a collapsible, price, etc?

Having said that, I may wait till my other one shows up and just keep the stubby gun for the pickup and the bedroom.

So-to-speak.

You need a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer, and the c1 stock.

You can get it all from calvaryarms or Fulton armory (where I did)

Eta: I don't know how it would run on a carbine upper, with the shorter gas system
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#28]

if you have a milsepc tube, a vltor a1 stock will fit on it.
best of both worlds.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Help me out.

So-to-speak.

You need a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer, and the c1 stock.

You can get it all from calvaryarms or Fulton armory (where I did)

Eta: I don't know how it would run on a carbine upper, with the shorter gas system

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

if you have a milsepc tube, a vltor a1 stock will fit on it.
best of both worlds.

Interesting, I was mulling over an A1 stock this morn.  As I understand it, the A1 is 1/2 inch shorter than the A2.  Is that the only difference?

I have a S&W MP15.  Would the vltor stock fit that?

{{{Scratch that.  Just checked vltør.  Not what I want.  I 'll look into the Cavarms stock as Finslayer has here.}}}
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Finslayer;  How rugged is that stock?  I am asking becuase the description says something about the buffer tube being molded in the stock.  Is that a problem/advantage.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Finslayer;  How rugged is that stock?  I am asking becuase the description says something about the buffer tube being molded in the stock.  Is that a problem/advantage.

Thoughts?

There is still a metal buffer tube, it simply slides into a cavity formed in the stock.

I don't see any flaws to the stock, its very rigid. The only downsides to the C1 stocks are the factory buttplates, which most people replace.

This is what I used for my rifle, comes with everything.

If I recall, Cavarms supplies the stocks for the m110 system made by KAC, so it sees combat in GWOT if you want to look at it that way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Very nice rifle!  I have an original A1 stock on my middy, I need to get a picture. Apex has type D original A1 stocks right now.  Original NOS buffers and springs as well.
I agree that the rifle buffer system makes for a more reliable and smoother running rifle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent range report, detailed with all the things we need and none of the things we dont. Great round count. That's how you test a rifle, none of this I shot 50 flawless rounds crap. Good looking rifle, very simple and functional. Nice work sir, kudos!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Finnslayer - does the C1 come in OD green?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was American Eagle or Lake City 62Gr then its pretty typical accuracy for that ammo.

Quoted:
Its 4 moa dot, so it covered up the center of the target.

When shooting for accuracy with a Red Dot try using the top of the dot(@100) as a aiming point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Finnslayer - does the C1 come in OD green?

Yes, they have them in od/fde/coyote/black.

Check out the calvary arms website.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice rifle Fin. Wouldn't be to concerned about that accuracy. Seems pretty normal for the conditions you had and no magnification. Pretty good actually.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was American Eagle or Lake City 62Gr then its pretty typical accuracy for that ammo.

It was the m855 from Walmart, the 420 round can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I recently purchased a PSA CHF 14.7" middy upper and mated it with a PSA lower and I love it. I took mine to the range 2 days ago with some buddies and we had a great time. We ran 660 rounds rough her of Tula Wally world stuff and had zero issues what so ever. I also ran her wet with Slip2000. Will do business with PSA again in the future for sure.

Glad you like your rifle, and good shooting sir!

smitty
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Painted it tonight.

I'll get good pics this weekend.

Used krylon so its a 20 min job to strip it when I get tired of it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Currently waiting on my order from PSA.  This gives me something to do to while away the time.  Thanks and nice rifle!
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I decided to paint the rifle.

Should time permit after Easter brunch tomorrow, I'll get to the range to run a couple hundred rounds through it.

Used based coat of tan krylon fusion, then with laundry netting used OD krylon fusion and brown krylon fusion.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#43]
What did you think of the MFS ammo?

How did it compare to Silver Bear?

Have you shot Wolf to know how it compares?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What did you think of the MFS ammo?

How did it compare to Silver Bear?

Have you shot Wolf to know how it compares?

I'm going to keep buying mfs as long as its cheap locally.

It performed equally to silver bear.

Have not shot wolf out of this rifle but have out of my spikes.

But due to similar pricing I'll stick to mfs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice camo job.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Got out today after Easter lunch and did some shooting out near my parents place.

Rounds Fired:

300 rounds of MFS 55 grain.

Brings total round count to 1670.

Zero issues to date.

Only updates, painted rifle with krylon and switched lubes to slip 2000.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice rifle, keeping it simple just how i like it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Excellent range report. You don't find detailed reports on PSA uppers. I like the fact that you have over 1000 rounds on it. That's a good break in. Good to know that it runs well. Good looking gun and a nice paint job. I was looking to build an good budget rifle. I think I'll try PSA. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm going wheeling tomorrow with a buddy who finished some work on his jeep.

I'm taking my rifle along to do some shooting.

Got 150 rounds of MFS 55 grain and 120 rounds of Federal M193 loaded up for the trip.

Will update tomorrow afternoon.

I will be running it through its paces on the 29th at a shoot in KY, I'll push the 2k round mark at this point in time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I decided to paint the rifle.

Used based coat of tan krylon fusion, then with laundry netting used OD krylon fusion and brown krylon fusion.

Where's the rifle? I can't see it

Digging that paint job, and I don't normally like painted ARs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top