Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2011 6:51:15 PM EDT
I decided on a puchase of a colt 6920.

I am currently in Las Vegas which has pretty easy gun laws. I went into one popular store and they quoted me 1199 for the gun, and with tax and all it came to like 1315. I noticed online that the gun is selling for a bit more than it was last month, maybe because of christmas?

My question is, should I just order online and have the gun sent to a FFL dealer?

Is there any advantages with buying the gun from the store?

Do you pay any tax when ordering it online and sent to an FFL dealer?

What is a good online place to buy the gun? Should I avoid any particular places?

Is buying a gun safe online, I want my gun to be new, and not cherry picked or anything, or a display model etc.?

How much should I look to pay for a 6920 online? Should I wait to after christmas to buy this?

Thanks, any information will be helpful here.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]

I am currently in Las Vegas which has pretty easy gun laws. I went into one popular store and they quoted me 1199 for the gun, and with tax and all it came to like 1315. I noticed online that the gun is selling for a bit more than it was last month, maybe because of christmas?

Colt SP6920 is $945.00 at dsg arms

My question is, should I just order online and have the gun sent to a FFL dealer?

YES!!!

Is there any advantages with buying the gun from the store?

NO!!

Do you pay any tax when ordering it online and sent to an FFL dealer?

NO!!!!!!

Is buying a gun safe online, I want my gun to be new, and not cherry picked or anything, or a display model etc.?

YES!!!!!!

Should I wait to after christmas to buy this?

NO!!!

YOU ARE WELCOME

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My question is, should I just order online and have the gun sent to a FFL dealer?  Sure.

Is there any advantages with buying the gun from the store? Not really.

Do you pay any tax when ordering it online and sent to an FFL dealer? Usually not, if the dealer is in another state.

What is a good online place to buy the gun? DSGArms.com Should I avoid any particular places?

Is buying a gun safe online, I want my gun to be new, and not cherry picked or anything, or a display model etc.? Yes.

How much should I look to pay for a 6920 online? $945 at DSG. Should I wait to after christmas to buy this? No.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine at budspolicesupply.comm for $999.00 delivered.  No sales tax and Discount Firearms on Highland Dr. Will do the transfer for $35.00.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
1st reply wins. much cheaper off the web.

JCS
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed DSGarms has a couple versions of the 6920. Which one should I get? Which one is 100% colt here?

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920-OB.aspx

How come you guys reocommend DSGarms, is it because they have lowest price?

Also, is $945, pretty much the lowest this gun has gone?

Do gunstore hate when people order the guns online?

Thanks for the FFl dealer recommendation, I will look into that shop.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
They are both 100% Colt. One has the new Rogers stock and the other that standard M4 stock. I would probably go with the M4 and then decide later if I wanted to upgrade.

I think the recommendation for DSGArms is partly because of the prices but also because of good customer service. They are local for me and I've gotten to know many of the guys over there. Good folks, top notch service and a big inventory.

Regarding how gun dealers feel about transferring guns from online dealers...some are probably not going to want to do it. They want to sell you an overpriced gun. It sounds like you have the name of a shop that doesn't mind doing the transfer though so that's a moot point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I noticed DSGarms has a couple versions of the 6920. Which one should I get? Which one is 100% colt here?

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

This one have the standard military M4 buttstock, the other one have the new Rogers SuperStoc with a friction lock to prevent the stock from moving on the buffer tube, also the M4 buttstock model are cheaper.

A question for you, you're membership status is showing that you are in NY, do they have their assault weapon ban there that bans weapons by brand, model, and features?

Also that particular SP6920 model have the word "Sporter" roll marked on the lower receiver, there's a newer Colt receiver markings that doesn't have the Sporter marking just "M4 CARBINE", the new markings are on Magpul MOE series models and California compliant sporter model with the Rogers SuperStoc, all of these are a little more money.

Here's the image link of the new "M4 CARBINE" markings:

Colt SP6920 MP-B model - pic link

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
DT... sorry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in Las vegas now, so I want to get the real deal ar15. IS that "M4 Carbine" model a assualt weapon ban model, or does it just not have the sporter on it because people don't like the name "sporter".?

Also, does that new buttstock models come directly from colt with that attached, or does dsgarms slap it on there? Reason I ask is because I see no one else offering this new buttstock, and I don't see any separate model numbers for this.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]

GET THE ONE FOR $945.00

ALSO

$900.00 WAS THE LOWEST I'VE EVER SAW, 3 MONTHS AGO IN FLORIDA, THEY ARE NOW OUT OF STOCK...

YES BUT WHO CARES???

YOU ARE WELCOME.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am in Las vegas now, so I want to get the real deal ar15. IS that "M4 Carbine" model a assualt weapon ban model, or does it just not have the sporter on it because people don't like the name "sporter".?

Also, does that new buttstock models come directly from colt with that attached, or does dsgarms slap it on there? Reason I ask is because I see no one else offering this new buttstock, and I don't see any separate model numbers for this.

You will have to check your NY state laws about its legality.
The configuration that DSG sells their rifles as is NOT assault weapons ban compliant. You will have to pin the stock, pin a muzzle break and cut off the bayonet lug.
The new Rogers stock is a Colt factory branded stock. It comes that way from the factory.
The new stocks are slowly being phased into to new rifles... older inventory out there will not have this stock yet.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OK, we are in the same location.

The "M4 Carbine" is not an assault ban model, Colt probably removed the Sporter markings so they could sell it in California and other places that the word Sporter are banned by name.

The new Rogers SuperStoc buttstock are new to the Sporter 6920 series and comes from the factory that way, I have an older Sporter model (bought on March 2011) which have the military M4 buttstock and they are probably discontinuing the old buttstock and just going with the new stock.

Since you're here in Vegas check out New Frontier Armory, they don't have the lowest prices, not high just about average around here, they have plenty of the new models with the "M4 Carbine" markings.

New Frontier Armory are an AR15.com sponsor, I had been their customer for a couple of years now and they're good to go.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I buy nearly all of my guns online because I see no benefit to paying a gunshop premium. $10-25 FFL fee and a few days waiting for shipping is easily worth the savings.

I wouldn't pay more than about $1050 shipped/FFL etc for a new 6920 right now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#14]
MT6400 if you need the ban compliant Colt M4.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
In NY you can not have a adjustable stock (it must be pined), flash suppressor (if it has a brake it must be pinned), post ban more then 10 round mag, or bayonet lug. when you buy online ask for a NY compliant one. Basically don't move to this sh*tty state. You can have a 6920 but you will have to have the flash suppressor removed and a muzzle brake permittaly attached. You will also have to have the bayonet lug ground off and the stock pinned so it can not be adjusted. all dumb F*ck ny bs laws. You will have to have the gun shipped to a FFL that can do the work. or have it done out of state. You can not bring it into this state your self befor the work is done. I hope your not moving to the scumbags republic of bloomburg (nyc) because i don't think law abiding citizens can even own a AR in the criminals haven. Most online dealers will not sell or ship a non ny compliant rifle to even a ffl in ny so you will have to buy it out of state as long as nothing has to do with ny. if your billing is ny no deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just thought I'd mark in red the part where he said he was in Vegas now for the people who missed it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
o i thought he was moving to ny sorry guess i misread it
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:26:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Just a word of advice on the tax issue, yes you do have to pay tax.  It's the law.  Now, with that aside, it's well known that people order things online all the time and don't pay tax, however you are required to do so.  Most people believe that ordering stuff online from out of your home state vendors is a tax free enterprise but everyone should know that it is not.

Keep in mind that I'm not preaching "How dare you avoid paying taxes!" I'm just letting you know what the laws are about it.  Here in WA the state has been making a fuss about it and now FFL's are driving up their transfer fee because of the PITA and also some are demanding to collect the tax when the transfer occurs, even we legally can declare the purchase price and tax due on a separate document.

It's just a byproduct of people exploiting a loophole, unfortunately.  I'm surprised online sales have remained unregulated for so long, considering so many towns and states have crap-for-brains spending habits...
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
DSG Arms is also a board sponsor...

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks so far for the replies.

Should I consider the Colt Magpul model? Looks like it is a SP6920MP.  Iis it worth the extra price?

Also, can you believe that this one store in Las Vegas Quoted me higher than list for a colt SP6920. I see the list price on colts 2011 price chart as 1155. Anytime someone tried charging me list or higher really pisses me off. So I am glad to actually order from FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Thanks so far for the replies.

Should I consider the Colt Magpul model? Looks like it is a SP6920MP.  Iis it worth the extra price?

PERSONAL PREFERENCE, I THINK THE SP6920MP LOOKS UGLY.

Also, can you believe that this one store in Las Vegas Quoted me higher than list for a colt SP6920. I see the list price on colts 2011 price chart as 1155. Anytime someone tried charging me list or higher really pisses me off. So I am glad to actually order from FFL dealer.

MAKE SURE HE IS QUOTING YOU A SP6920 AND NOT A LE6920 (SAME GUN BUT WITH LE MAKINGS. MORE DESIRABLE AND MORE EXPENSIVE) IF THAT'S THE CASE HIS PRICE IS OK.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you like the looks of the Magpul MOE handguards, pistol grip, and buttstock, then yeah go for it because it have the new cool "M4 Carbine" markings without the Sporter.

As I said before the only other model with the new M4 Carbine roll marks are the SP6920 California compliant version, the only thing you have to do is to remove the "Bullet Button" magazine release assembly and install a standard AR mag release assembly.

Quoted:

Price varies a lot here in the Vegas metro area, the lowest price that I could find are just about average, sometimes dealers offers them on sale if they have too many inventory and sometimes at gun shows.

Here's the MSRP of some of the SP6920 models:

SP6920 Carbine with Rogers SuperStoc: $1,155
SP6920CA Carbine California model with Rogers SuperStoc: $1,185
SP6920MP-B Carbine Magpul MOE model (black color): $1,229

The best prices are mostly found online, like the DSG Arms and others slightly under $1K, you just find your local dealer that are willing to transfer the firearms you buy online, the local dealer have to send (usually FAX) their FFL license to the selling online dealer before you buy the firearm.

The other local dealers that I go to are Citadel Gun & Safe and Machine Gun Kelly's Gun Vault, I personally deal with the owner or a manager of the store, they had transferred complete rifles and stripped lower receivers for me in the past and I'm satisfied with their customer service.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Those prices seem to have went up, no?

My LE6920 was high $9's when I bought it about a year ago.

OP, check GT Distributors for price also. They used to be the best alot of the time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I just ordered my new Colt from DSG last night.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
<$1,000 Colts?
Living in the good ol' days!
I remember seeing Colts go for over $2K during the AWB.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
<$1,000 Colts?
Living in the good ol' days!
I remember seeing Colts go for over $2K during the AWB.

J
No kidding. I boughy my first colt ar15 in 1996 for $1000 and change. It is even cheaper now. Deflation for the win.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top