Author
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:22:13 AM
Why are there two holes in the bolt carrier- the ones visible through the ejection port? Are they lubrication points for the bolt? I have not seen them mentioned in the AR lube diagram.
0612Devil
President, please...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:24:08 AM
They vent gas.
Pack a pillow and blanket. Go. See the world. You will never regret it...
WI57
Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:33:54 AM
Originally Posted By 0612Devil:
They vent gas.

Yes.

You could lube them, but it will just blow the lube out on the first shot.
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
Its the guy that just walks in and just starts shooting.
Augee
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:40:42 AM
When not field stripping the weapon, but lubing up in the field, I usually retrach the charging handle about a half-inch until the gas rings show through the holes in the carrier.

I then put a couple of drops on the bolt lugs as through the holes on to the gas rings.

~Augee
Gamma762
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 1:35:01 PM
Those two holes are the exhaust ports for the gas system. After the bolt carrier moves to the rear and unlocks the bolt, the gas rings move forward of those holes and the gas contained within exits out those holes and out the ejection port.
This is...a clue - Pat_Rogers
I'm not adequately aluminumized for this thread. - gonzo_beyondo
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
jeepinbanditrider
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 1:41:30 PM
It is a good way to introduce lube into the system though "on the fly" Just pull the charging hand back until the bolt unlocks then drop a few drops into those holes. It'll keep a dry gun running for a little while longer.
altopwescap
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 3:49:02 PM
Gas vents, part of the gas system that unlocks the bolt out of battery after a round has been discharged.
socommatthews
Vick Macky is the MAN!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 4:53:45 PM
Originally Posted By Augee:
When not field stripping the weapon, but lubing up in the field, I usually retrach the charging handle about a half-inch until the gas rings show through the holes in the carrier.

I then put a couple of drops on the bolt lugs as through the holes on to the gas rings.

~Augee

This.....
Member #10 of something, I hope.

A.R.M.S. sucks. Yea I said it, so what!

"I would seriously reconsider the "not lubing" thing"..........weptek911
Ohio_Bill
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/7/2011 8:53:38 PM
If you watch the ultra slo-mo vids of ARs firing and ejecting you will see gas venting from those holes.
"My irritability keeps me alive and kicking" --Howard Devoto

"Didn't watch it. You don't rack up 100k posts by reading the articles before commenting on them, slow poke." --Aimless
TrackSol
Low Speed Low Drag
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 12:43:14 PM
Originally Posted By Augee:

I then put a couple of drops through the holes onto the gas rings and then on the bolt lugs as well.
~Augee

Edited for clarity. Good tip by the way!
WWD734D
rightwingnut
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 9:34:16 PM
Vent un-needed gas. Also a lube point for the piston rings. Squirt in there with bolt in battery and slightly out of battery.
Gator57
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/8/2011 9:48:56 PM
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
If you watch the ultra slo-mo vids of ARs firing and ejecting you will see gas venting from those holes.

Yep. Those two holes are simply the gun's exhaust pipe.
As the bolt carrier begins it's rearward motion, and just before the carrier key pulls away from the gas tube, the gas rings on
the bolt pass to the front of those holes, allowing the gas to escape to the outside of the receiver.
If those holes weren't there the gas would be vented inside the receiver as the carrier key left the gas tube, dumping all that carbon and fouling into the receiver.