Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2011 9:48:05 AM EDT
Bushmaster lists a model called the Dissipator.  What is a dissipator and how would it differ from their midlength 223?

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16DMOE.asp
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16M4MLMOE.asp
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
carbine gas tube rifle length sights and handguard, 16" barrel. Bushmasters version of a dissy other manufs may be different in gas tube selection.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to a Dissapator was a 16 inch barreled rifle with a rifle length gas system which also gave you a rifle sight radius with a 16 inch barrel.

Nowadays they use a mid-length or carbine gas system (via a low profile gas block) with a dummy front sight base for a rifle length sight radius and better reliablity with mid length gas system.

They're pretty neat setups especially if you want to be able to reach out there and grab a lot of the rifle or need a bunch of rail space for "stuff".  I might build my next upper as a dissapator type.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Used to a Dissapator was a 16 inch barreled rifle with a rifle length gas system which also gave you a rifle sight radius with a 16 inch barrel.

Nowadays they use a mid-length or carbine gas system (via a low profile gas block) with a dummy front sight base for a rifle length sight radius and better reliablity with mid length gas system.

They're pretty neat setups especially if you want to be able to reach out there and grab a lot of the rifle or need a bunch of rail space for "stuff".  I might build my next upper as a dissapator type.

Think Bushmaster still uses the carbine gas system on Bushmaster Dissy builds.

OP of the 2 you have linked. it is the handguard size and sight radius are both longer on the dissy.
Barrel lengths are equal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It helps to have the M4 profiled barrel in it, and I like having an A1 stock too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Pre ban Bushmaster Dissapator was the first AR15 rifle I bought for myself
I replaced the collapser stock with an A2 stock early on
It was a very good shooting carbine that changed my views on the AR15 rifles for the positive
I have since rebarrelled the gun into a standard A2 20" rifle and still have it in that configuration
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe. See the dissipator thread.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top