BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 11/22/2011 1:27:34 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Noveske Upper/Lower matched set, full price non-blem, and it had several issues as shown in the first  picture below. So I contacted Noveske, sent it in and had a replacement headed back to me the same day they signed for the returned set.

Now I wish they would have taken longer with more care because the new set they sent has the same if not more issues. Not that they would have known because when I picked it up it had dirt all over it and was chalky dry. No the transfer dealer didn’t get it dirty as it was wrapped and in a box, also oddly enough both sets so far have come with spider webs inside.

Do you think Noveske is capable of better than the below receivers? Both uppers have been dinged to hell, pinholes in anodizing and white specs in various locations. Don’t tell me to just build it/shoot it, I have 3 others a Mega build, Bushmaster, and a Spikes build that I shoot. All of which have receivers that were cheaper and put Noveske to shame.

Do you think 3rd times a charm or should I go Larue billet?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/N1SDC13335.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13467.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13465.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13469.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13473.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13460.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13489.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/razorblade_twinelovers/SDC13393.jpg
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the new tactical dimpling!

I agree, thats pretty rough looking.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Are those actually pits in the forgings I see? Are the white specks places that did not anodize properly? I'd send it back and purchase the LaRue. At least LaRue will get it right the first time. Personally I would not have even completed the 4473 and have had the FFL return it.

This is only my opinion. YMMV

v/r
-m-
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just send it back.  Not a big deal.  They will replace it till you're happy.  Tell them that you are looking for a safe queen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It's up to you.  

Not sure how much you paid for it but they do look not top quality as far as finishing goes
Having said that, I think I would go ahead and build it.  Tool is a tool after all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see anything wrong but i am on my phone so the pics aren't full size. Hell i've been wanting a matched set and can never find them in stock. If it's that big of a deal send it back again. I would build it up and shoot it though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just send it back.  Not a big deal.  They will replace it till you're happy.  Tell them that you are looking for a safe queen.

Yup
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
For the money, that is a deal breaker for me.

Hell, my $700 PSA AR has a better finish than that Noveske, I'd be disappointed as hell if I paid that kind of money to get what should have been sold a a blem upper.

I'd go order from the Dead Center of Texas, I'm sure those guys will not disappoint.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I would send them back and look elsewhere.  For the price they cost I would not want those.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The white specks almost seem like aluminum shavings that got in the anodizing. Well honestly I really didn't think the replacement was going to come back with so many F ups. Not to mention I had to wipe all the dirt off of it and oil it down before I saw the blems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with those receivers. They are never going to be perfect & those small "imperfections" are quite normal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Send it back again. Tell them you are not at all satisfied and they may want to actually find you one that looks good or they will need to refund your money.

I have a noveske upper that is a recent make I believe and it looks nothing like that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hell, my $700 PSA AR has a better finish than that Noveske, I'd be disappointed as hell if I paid that kind of money to get what should have been sold a a blem upper.

I'd go order from the Dead Center of Texas, I'm sure those guys will not disappoint.

I hear you can see lines under the finish on larue lowers...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Its not a matter of being a safe queen, its getting what you pay for. In this case, I paid more for less. When I returned the first set, I told them I would be dropping $2500 (MK12) into this rifle and wanted a set that no less than the perfection they are known for. This is what I got.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Its a firearm, not a Rolex.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but I'm betting that they wouldn't send out a blemished lower as a replacement for a returned blemished lower....

Nothing is perfect, but for that money I want a company to try to get as close to perfect as they can.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Are they normal because thats the best they can do? It looks like they took the flash off with a damn dremel...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow thats horrible..I have read they are the AR Gods...Does the second one look worse than the first one you returned?..My finish on both my RR and CMMG put that "Finish" to shame..There has to be something wrong here...I have never seen a Noveske but from what I read from their worshippers that is surely not what I would expect...Send it back and maybe give them a third try but you should not have had to send the first one back...If I put mine under a microscope I could not even bring out blemishes like that...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#19]
They may be within normal tolerances of what is or isn't acceptable.  But they look like shit to me.  I have a $600 dollar gun that looks much better.  And mine is miles away from some of the better one's I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I normally use Aero Precision receivers for my builds. I have never seen any of them look like that, and the last lower I bought was $70 bucks.

I understand it's a tool but you paid for premium you should get a premium product.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't see anything wrong but i am on my phone so the pics aren't full size.

The pics are full size for me and everything seems copacetic to my eyes.  Looks like an AR, looks functional.  I don't see what's wrong.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pics are full size for me and everything seems copacetic to my eyes.  Looks like an AR, looks functional.  I don't see what's wrong.  

Well I guess when it doesn't come out of your pocket, of course you don't see it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but I'm betting that they wouldn't send out a blemished lower as a replacement for a returned blemished lower....

Nothing is perfect, but for that money I want a company to try to get as close to perfect as they can.

Actually i believe it was mark that said it was normal for their lowers to have lines visible. As for the op, i currently don't have a noveske lower but i have 2 of their uppers and they're very nice. All of my other lowers all had some kind of minor imperfections. Even my daniel defense. What you mainly paid for was the matched upper and lower so they would fit well together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I would never ever settle for such shoddy parts. I can only imagine the ridicule you'd be subjected to at the 100 yard line of your local range if anyone were to notice those blemishes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
looks like crap. you gave them a chance already..so id go larue.

people can say its a tool all they want..and thats true. but to an extent you get joy out of this rifle, more so than just a tool. if your paying top dollar id expect everything to look top dollar.
I get joy out of shooting my rifles and looking at them everything about them gets me excited!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with those receivers. They are never going to be perfect & those small "imperfections" are quite normal.

Exactly.

I agree...

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Certainly looks fine to me. Bolt it up and shoot the snot out of it. Its an AR, not a $5-50k Sporting shotgun. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]
It's amazing to me the shit people complain about.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess when it doesn't come out of your pocket, of course you don't see it.

If it was out of my pocket and in my hands i wouldn't be worried. I made the ribs bigger on my phone and i see what you're talking about. The biggest problem it has are some pinholes where the buffer tube goes. Like everyone else has said, send it back and they'll fix it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, maybe you should consider a different hobby like collecting watches or something. You're going to be really pissed if you ever shoot that gun and see all the wear that comes along with use.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would never ever settle for such shoddy parts. I can only imagine the ridicule you'd be subjected to at the 100 yard line of your local range if anyone were to notice those blemishes.

Stevie wonder sees what you did there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to be the same way. Now I couldn't give a shit about a blemish as long as the parts fit and the weapon runs. The more beat shit is now.... the more I like it. These aren't being handmade, one by one, by a skilled artisan. They are being cranked out by a CNC and have as little human contact as possible. Send it back or shut up and run it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
For the folks that always mention price when these threads come up...It has nothing to do with price. Obviously you can get a "blemish" free receiver at a lower cost or you could get a piece of crap. Same goes for the higher cost receivers. Paying "top dollar" for a pair of receivers doesn't mean you're going to get "imperfection" free parts regardless of brand reputation, so it really baffles me that folks get overly concerned with how they look. It doesn't affect function. The parts will get wear on them from use, if you even plan to use the gun. But I digress. Ultimately, OP, they're your property & if you aren't happy with the parts then send them back. You don't need to come to the Internet to get board approval for a decision that is obviously yours & yours alone to make.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#35]
If you think that is bad wait till you tap in the trigger gaurd and bolt catch roll pin.
I promise if you do it yourself there will be marks and finish damage.
Then you will have something to cry about.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#36]
If you plan on spending more on the gun than on the ammo it's going to see then send it back until you can get a gun worth framing.  Otherwise just shoot it.  It's two chunks of aluminum, with plastic and steel screwed to it.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, maybe you should consider a different hobby like collecting watches or something. You're going to be really pissed if you ever shoot that gun and see all the wear that comes along with use.

I already said, I have 3 others to wear out. I don't care about normal machining marks or wear. These blems are half ass craftsmanship and don't give a fuck QC. Seems as if it all depends on whether your the type who doesn't give a fuck and throws your shit in the mud....or one who appreciates their tools.

I didn't ask if its wrong or right...I know these sets are fair at best for a premium price. I was just asking based on others experience with Noveske, can they do better?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already said, I have 3 others to wear out. I don't care about normal machining marks or wear. These blems are half ass craftsmanship and don't give a fuck QC. Seems as if it all depends on whether your the type who doesn't give a fuck and throws your shit in the mud....or one who appreciates their tools.

I didn't ask if its wrong or right...I know these sets are fair at best for a premium price. I was just asking based on others experience with Noveske, can they do better?

Yes, and they will if you ask them to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Some people just can't be satisfied.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Right- but is he to ASSUME that they got the internal tolerances correct when they were so careless with the exterior? Blending damage and machine work is part of my trade- one of those pictures of linear scoring is awful.

Yes it's a gun. Some of mine are beat to hell- but they were beat to hell by me. Not by a machinist.

I wonder which ones of you here would buy a NEW truck with a paint chipping and scratches in the sheet metal, and not expect better. I'd wager nobody here would do that.

This unit should have been sold as a blem. It's the customers job to bash it up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right- but is he to ASSUME that they got the internal tolerances correct when they were so careless with the exterior? Blending damage and machine work is part of my trade- one of those pictures of linear scoring is awful.

I hear this all the time.  There are companies who spend more time on superficial finish than getting the dimensions correct.  The two have little to do with each other.  I've seen plenty of Colts that didn't have a pretty finish.  Yet, the dimensions and tolerances are in spec.

I wonder which ones of you here would buy a NEW truck with a paint chipping and scratches in the sheet metal, and not expect better. I'd wager nobody here would do that.

It's a fucking gun, not a Truck.   I wonder why people always have to use analogies instead of letting their argument stand on its own merit?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
John, you need to fire someone or make sure they stay far away from any equipment or power tools in the shop. Like the OP I would be extremely livid if this garbage showed up at the FFL!!

If someone received a lower from a non worshiped manufacture, the people posting in this thread would trash that vendor or manufacture for it from here to eternity. But since it is a Tier1 operator grade Mfg I guess you're a pansy if you don't just accept this garbage and live with it.  The OP paid good money for a quality receiver set. If Noveske ( or their fanbois ) make claims to be the pinnacle of the AR world they need to own up to this and make it right.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If someone received a lower from a non worshiped manufacture, the people posting in this thread would trash that vendor or manufacture for it from here to eternity. But since it is a Tier1 operator grade Mfg I guess you're a pansy if you don't just accept this garbage and live with it.

Bullshit.  Back up your claim or retract it.  I've seen the claim made many times by butthurt owners of junk hobby guns and never backed up.  I have never seen anyone defend a "tier 1" manufacturer over a cosmetic issue and criticize a hobby gun maker over a similar issue.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#44]
no, not expecting too much, just a QC problem they will fix...hopefully
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Bottom line, it is your parts and if you are unhappy send them back. I have a couple Noveske sets and they are nicer then what you got. They are good folks and would probably issue a refund if that is what you decide.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Send it back. Considering you paid $270+ for a matched receiver set from a "boutique" manufacturer, you should get a perfect product. You could have picked up a Spikes upper and lower for about $50 less and would have not gotten any blemishes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear this all the time.  There are companies who spend more time on superficial finish than getting the dimensions correct.  The two have little to do with each other.  I've seen plenty of Colts that didn't have a pretty finish.  Yet, the dimensions and tolerances are in spec.

It's a fucking gun, not a Truck.   I wonder why people always have to use analogies instead of letting their argument stand on its own merit?

So why should I buy a Noveske?? Cause they can get the dimensions correct? Thats standard with any decent manufacturer.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone received a lower from a non worshiped manufacture, the people posting in this thread would trash that vendor or manufacture for it from here to eternity. But since it is a Tier1 operator grade Mfg I guess you're a pansy if you don't just accept this garbage and live with it.

Bullshit.  Back up your claim or retract it.  I've seen the claim made many times by butthurt owners of junk hobby guns and never backed up.  I have never seen anyone defend a "tier 1" manufacturer over a cosmetic issue and criticize a hobby gun maker over a similar issue.

All I know is my "junk hobby" gun looks better than this man's Noveske.  

And I agree with Stonerriflefan44.  And I won't retract it.  Don't know about him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top