User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2011 8:00:50 AM EDT
http://www.atlantictactical.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=SMI4128-AGENCY1&eq=&Tp=

Yeah I know it's an S&W but hella price.

-Title updated by moderator to be accurate. -
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck me, that IS a good price.  So far I haven't seen recent posts on S&W being a poor rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that the upper or the whole rifle?

If the whole rifle, that is best deal I've seen so far.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a s&w and haven't had any problems from it.  For that price I'm going to get me another one.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got off the phone with them. Rifles are NOT currently in stock, and will not arrive until April. Planning to get one anyway for that price, though.

Spoke with Gretchen - she said that the pricing is $493.00 for agencies, and $519.00 for individual officers. I'm guessing that it's an LEO only deal?
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if they would sell at that price to dealers?
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no business buying one of these but I'm having a hard time not picking one up for that price.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with M&P 15s. I have two that run like raped apes. MP bolts, nice finish and fit. Even runs with crappy ammo. My best deal on them so far has been $700 new out the door after thanksgiving last year at Sportsmans. That was for the flattop. The "Optics Ready" version.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's wrong with S&W?  Not the flavor of the month?
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My S&W is 2x the gun my colt is. Only thing I wish mine had is a 1/7 barrel. No big deal tho as it is more accurate than my colt anyways lmao
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just a heads up, that price is for police departments only.  That is NOT the price for individual sale.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we had them listed for $659 when we could get them for general public.

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just hung up with sales.

Civi price = $519.95

Ships in April 2012
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone needs to update the OP and thread title with the relevant information.

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My local fun shop has them for $499 plus tax . Very tempting...
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up, that price is for police departments only.  That is NOT the price for individual sale.

gotdamned my eyes!!!!    

and i agree i'd rather have a 1/7 twist and 4150 steel barrel.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What kind of ammo are you shooting that isn't reliably stabilized by the 1:8 twist in the M&P Sport?

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of ammo are you shooting that isn't reliably stabilized by the 1:8 twist in the M&P Sport?

I like my Hornady 75gr and have from time to time used handloaded 77gr Noslers.  In my Dept issued M&P 15 which has a 1/9 twist barrel, it will not stabilize either rounds at 100m.  I was not aware that the sport had a 1/8 twist
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my Hornady 75gr and have from time to time used handloaded 77gr Noslers.  In my Dept issued M&P 15 which has a 1/9 twist barrel, it will not stabilize either rounds at 100m.  I was not aware that the sport had a 1/8 twist

I'm not trying to come off as a dick, but are you even supposed to be engaging targets at 100+ meters as a cop?  Curiosity ...
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I HAVE 2 FRIEND THAT EACH BOUGHT ONE AT $579.00 ON GUNBROKER (RAYTANNER) A COUPLE OF MONTHS BACK . THE GUNS BOTH WORK NO PROBLEMS . BARRELS I BELIEVE ARE MADE BY THOMPSON CENTER FIRE . GOOD GUN FOR THE MONEY !
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the Sport has a 1:8 barrel with 5R rifling which makes it a very interesting and compelling "bargain" rifle.  Hardly a bench gun, but theoretically a step above the typical cat and snake guns with 1:9 tubes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Reading up on these S&W ARs, I still have not read enough to know if these are a good basic AR, or if there are so many parts to replace once you get it that its makes more sense to get a different AR.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#22]
LEO only huh?

I might need to buy one

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My S&W is 2x the gun my colt is. Only thing I wish mine had is a 1/7 barrel. No big deal tho as it is more accurate than my colt anyways lmao

2x the gun huh... and what would make it such. my guess would be nothing and that you are just spewing crap on a forum. anyhow, i had a s&w m&p15t. gun ran great with zero issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#24]
While the M&Ps are not quite the quality of Colt, DD, BCM (look at the specs), for that price you can't really beat it. Deals like this proves why certain lower quality brands are severly over priced.

I've read stuff from Pat Rogers, that on a budget if you absolutely can't afford a quality rifle like a colt or BCM, S&W run pretty well. I have also read they tend to run overgassed due to larger gas ports, so an upgraded spring and heavier buffer would be good.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Civi price = $519.95
Ships in April 2012

That's the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My local fun shop has them for $499 plus tax . Very tempting...

Mine did... till they ran out!

Drug it thru the parts been, and its turned in a great shooter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Saw these for 550 out the door at the gun show last week.

I think it is a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to come off as a dick, but are you even supposed to be engaging targets at 100+ meters as a cop?  Curiosity ...

No offense taken at all.  The point is its still a rifle and yes, there may indeed be times where you might be shooting at 100m.  And yes you are correct that at that distance, it is under less than ideal circumstances.  I can give u one example where "we" had a shooting in an apartment complex where a subj was barracaded within and firing out the 2nd story window with a shotgun ( and birdshot no less - found out afterwards).  Parking lots and adjacent buildings made distances unique.  In all honesty it was probably half that range, but the I still like to shoot regularly at 100m.  If you can shoot at 100m you can hopefully hit reliably at ranges inside of that as a 100m isn't very far.

Quoted:
Yep, the Sport has a 1:8 barrel with 5R rifling which makes it a very interesting and compelling "bargain" rifle.  Hardly a bench gun, but theoretically a step above the typical cat and snake guns with 1:9 tubes.

Hmmm I just bought a PSA..... now I'm wondering if I need to go back to the cookie jar again as this is indeed an intriguing set up.  I look forward to any after action reports.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#29]
love to try out that barrel
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry for the inaccurate price, it was passed to me and I didn't read the fine print.

Still a good deal at $519 if that's indeed the civilian price.  Hell, the JSESurplus SAA or the DPMS for $579 is more.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Out of stock?

The link didn't work for me
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I just got back from shooting my Rock River Operator and my buddies M&P sport.  This was the first time I had fired my RRA, just got it last week.  My buddy has shot his smith multiple times.

At the end of the session I let my buddy shoot my rifle, which he was disappointed he did.  He is absolutely going to trade his smith for something a little more high end.  The price on these Smiths are great, but they arent Mil-Spec rifles and they arent as smooth as  RRA.  

My buddy said it felt smoother, sturdier and he was much more confident shooting my rifle.  I agree its a great entry level AR at a stupid low price, but my advice is dont shoot a better built rifle because you will want to make the change.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#33]
The sport has a non chromed chamber/bore, no forward assist and no dust cover right?

There is a reason it's at that price I think.  I like S&W ARs but not that one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My S&W is twice the gun as my buddies RRA. Which mine is one of the higher end ones. Never shot a sport. So can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The sport has a non chromed chamber/bore, no forward assist and no dust cover right?

Didn't notice that.  Yeah, just kinda dropped itself to DPMS level in my book.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really? So I guess the old slick side colt m16's are dpms level? Cool story.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really? So I guess the old slick side colt m16's are dpms level? Cool story.

Yeah, because what they did 30 years ago should be exactly what happens now.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fuck me, that IS a good price.  So far I haven't seen recent posts on S&W being a poor rifle.

My buddy has an M&P 15 and I've shot it, my only complaints are:

1)  Barrel is not threaded for a flash hider.

2)  Trigger is not nearly as smooth as my PSA or Sigarms rifles.

However, overall its a good rifle and for the price listed above, it would make a great backup gun.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Where is your local shop? That's a great deal!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
All the ones on the website that I see are $900+..
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel is not chrome lined, but I believe the sport's barrel is melonited.  Better than CL IMO.  FA is useless.  I would like a dust cover though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah the best I have seen was local at Cabelas for $599 + tax
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had the sport model since september, have shot almost 1000 rounds through it, zero complaints, zero malfunctions. Gun is deadly accurate out of the box and even more so after zeroing in.

For $700OTD at my local shop, I can't complain, yeah I ended up spending a couple hundred on some goodies to improve it, but that still puts me ahead of starting with a $1000+ rifle and doing the same.

IMO The dust cover and forward assist are useless anyways.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The barrel is not chrome lined, but I believe the sport's barrel is melonited.  

Only on the outside according to the SW CS person I emailed.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All the ones on the website that I see are $900+..

Those are likely MOE rifles or another model. The Sport runs about $600-675 most of the time.

Seriously, I have been running mine for 3-1/2 months, and over 3k rounds thru it. It's pretty damn good. Considering I have seen more than 1 issue with about every manufacturer here, it leads me to believe I am STILL reading reports that are designed to sell ones' self on justifying their investment. IMO??? Unless an AR get's the magic backwards switch that my Colt had when deployed??? Then they are all the same so far as carbines are concerned. And they should not burn the wallet for more than $700 in any way for a box stock unit. You want to lump in SS barrel, LR shooters in this, it skews the program. No one is doing in house defense with a 24" bull barrel. Conversely, no one is shooting 600yds at prairie dogs with iron sights on a carbine. (Okay, they are shooting, but they ain't hitting!!)
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#46]
nevermind found answer
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Mine appears to be melonited inside and out.  I strongly suspect that particular CS person had no idea what they were talking about.  Think about it –– that fails the common sense test; why would they even bother to melonite the barrel if they only do the exterior?

It's a very solid rifle for the price.  For what the overwhelming majority of shooters use these for, lack of a forward assist and dust cover is not an issue.  If it bothers you, do like I did and replace the upper receiver.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Mine appears to be melonited inside and out.  I strongly suspect that particular CS person had no idea what they were talking about.  Think about it –– that fails the common sense test; why would they even bother to melonite the barrel if they only do the exterior?

It's a very solid rifle for the price.  For what the overwhelming majority of shooters use these for, lack of a forward assist and dust cover is not an issue.  If it bothers you, do like I did and replace the upper receiver.

...which puts you at or over the cost of a PSA patrol carbine

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense taken at all.  The point is its still a rifle and yes, there may indeed be times where you might be shooting at 100m.  And yes you are correct that at that distance, it is under less than ideal circumstances.  I can give u one example where "we" had a shooting in an apartment complex where a subj was barracaded within and firing out the 2nd story window with a shotgun ( and birdshot no less - found out afterwards).  Parking lots and adjacent buildings made distances unique.  In all honesty it was probably half that range, but the I still like to shoot regularly at 100m.  If you can shoot at 100m you can hopefully hit reliably at ranges inside of that as a 100m isn't very far.

Quoted:

Hmmm I just bought a PSA..... now I'm wondering if I need to go back to the cookie jar again as this is indeed an intriguing set up.  I look forward to any after action reports.

Thanks for the reply and not taking offense.  I suppose a barricade situation is a good point - I'd figured SWAT would do their thing in something like that, forgetting that the regular Black & whites still have to cordon the area off.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply and not taking offense.  I suppose a barricade situation is a good point - I'd figured SWAT would do their thing in something like that, forgetting that the regular Black & whites still have to cordon the area off.

Get out of big cities and you don't have SWAT.

Out here, if the local PD or sheriff has problems, it can take a long time for the state police "SWAT" guys to show up.  The wait gets longer and longer the more rural you are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top