BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2011 6:40:10 PM EDT
So uh, I received a complete upper and slapped it on my lower everything looked good.  Took it out to my favorite shooting spot and... it's only operating in single action.  Meaning i have to charge it everytime it shoots.

this is my first AR.  So my buddy and i after 3 shots take it back to the car and look it over.  I've done a bunch of research so i'm familiar with the design.

basically we noticed after inspection that the gas tube that runs from the front sight back does not go back into the upper receiver.  So basically my carbine is not getting any gas to actuate the bcg...

i haven't called the manufacturer yet but i assume this was an oversight on their part?  The gas tube is basically just too short...  i can't imagine they would have missed something like this but maybe so.

does it make a difference that i live in CA?

I plan on calling them up tomorrow to find out but it's just pretty odd...
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pictures?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
second one tonight? was this from PSA?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it look like this?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/551333_Wrong_gas_tube_.html

Did you guys get your uppers from the same place?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn . A little deja vu tonight .
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does it look like this?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/551333_Wrong_gas_tube_.html

Did you guys get your uppers from the same place?

im feeling a bit of dejavue going on here
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
It would depend on what gas tube length your barrel is.  

A carbine length gas tube would be too short for a mid length gas system, a mid length would be too short for a rifle length.

pictures would help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
QC

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It would depend on what gas tube length your barrel is.  

A carbine length gas tube would be too short for a mid length gas system, a mid length would be too short for a rifle length.

pictures would help.

BAM! wrong size gas tube. Probably a carbine tube in a Middy upper.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
#2. If this is a PSA(Which is looks like), I'd hate to see how many got out
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a problem that is easy to catch if the manufacturer would TEST FIRE their product before releasing it to the public.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Yikes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a PSA midlength upper.  I think it's listed as the "premium upper" ~$430.

My first gun so I was a little thrown off but we figured out within 2-3 shots something was obviously wrong.
i agree it looks like it's a carbine tube in a midlength upper.

Other than that the upper appears to be in pretty exceptional shape except for a chip on the barrel which i wasn't too happy about.

I'm not really worried about it; this isn't a bitching thread.  The manufacturer i'm sure will make it right.  I was just digging around for my own personal knowledge.  Now i know what's going on and i'll make a call tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My first gun so I was a little thrown off but we figured out within 2-3 shots something was obviously wrong.

Other than that the upper appears to be in pretty exceptional shape except for a chip on the barrel which i wasn't too happy about.

I'm not really worried about it; this isn't a bitching thread.  The manufacturer i'm sure will make it right.  I was just digging around for my own personal knowledge.  Now i know what's going on and i'll make a call tomorrow.

the issue is your not the only one so far thats had this issue
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is a problem that is easy to catch if the manufacturer would TEST FIRE their product before releasing it to the public.

Agreed.  I guess one would assume that all companies test fire.  I did.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Does the upper have that CA mag release doohicky thing installed? Could this be a work around for CA laws i.e. if it is not a semi-auto firearm it can have a removable mag?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the "bullet button" installed so it is a "fixed magazine" rifle.  
I don't need to have a single action rifle because the rifle is perfectly legal without it.

Note i ordered the upper separately from the lower; completely different order.

Was the other guy from CA also?

EDIT: nope he was from Indiana so it appears to be QC rather than "single action" only to CA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the issue is your not the only one so far thats had this issue

fair enough; i'll update when i hear from them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
wow...just wow...
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm super bummed... Second one, how these are handled is gonna be key to deciding where I spend.. Reminds of the saying "it can be done cheaply, quickly  or properly pick two"

Tag for updates
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, looks like a carbine gas tube installed on a midlength upper. The gas tube should extend an inch past the rear of the barrel extension. Looks like you're about 2" too short.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe it was test fired, but they didn't try a second shot?

ETA: Nevermind that, if they did they would have found that the case didn't eject.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#23]
We've swamped PSA with orders. I'm sure they are running full throttle to meet demand. Some goofs are sure to slip through.  Email them or call them, you'll get a speedy reply. They'll make it good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We've swamped PSA with orders. I'm sure they are running full throttle to meet demand. Some goofs are sure to slip through.  Email them or call them, you'll get a speedy reply. They'll make it good.

Not so long ago an AR-15 manufacturer's reputation was based on quality control. Now it seems like companies are judged by "the chart" specs/price point ratio.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's ridiculous.

No it isn't. That is a "Factory STR upper" (short tube rifle). How long before the BATFE catches on and starts to regulate it? That is the question here

Seriously, I have a 20" PSA FN and the build quality was "meh". The handguards were crooked because the barrel nut wasn't indexed well and the feedramps are off, but it was easy enough to fix. My main concern was that it has a decent barrel. Shoots great. The annoying thing here,to me,is that someone is getting paid at least minimum wage, if not more, to bumblefuck these uppers. There are probably plenty of unemployed arfcommers in the area that need work and know how to assemble an upper....

An idea....
Unemployed arfcommers:
Save the day. Go put in an application at PSA. Bring gas tube pin punch, FSB pin punch, barrel nut wrench, and favorite torque wrench.... I'd go do that shit in a heartbeat if I didn't have work. It would be a vacation compared to what I do for a living.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's ridiculous.

No it isn't. That is a "Factory STR upper" (short tube rifle). How long before the BATFE catches on and starts to regulate it? That is the question here

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess we need to add "correct gas tube length" to the chart?
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not so long ago an AR-15 manufacturer's reputation was based on quality control. Now it seems like companies are judged by "the chart" specs/price point ratio.
Goof? You call a too short gas tube a "goof"? That's inexcusable to me. If they sent me an upper/rifle like that, I would tell them to take it back. If a company can mess up something that fundamental Lord knows what else could be potentially wrong. Sorry but sometimes you don't get get 3 strikes and to me, this is one of those times.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:01:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Is that the England version upper?

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Why do I have this weird feeling this won't be the last one....
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess we need to add "correct gas tube length" to the chart?

This is funny......^^^^^^^^^^

Not that I'm a PSA fanboy, but I do believe that they are almost single-handedly responsible for lowering AR prices throughout the industry. For that, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. For all you know, some Occupy Wall St Liberal Democrat infiltrated the process and is purposely screwing with rifles trying to torpedo a trendsetting company. Maybe a pissed off employee who didn't get his holiday weekend off so he could fill the orders? It happens. Ask anybody in the food processing business about trying to keep PETA scum out of a factory.

Should they be test fired at the end? Probably, but if you don't have a facility in house to do so, it's difficult. Imagine hauling 400 uppers out to the range to test them. Then having to do the same thing the next day. Although given the current problems, it's a process that may be more cost effective to do than not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Removed
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's ridiculous.

I agree. Anyone who knows anything about an AR knows the gas tube has to reach the BCG. If you don't, you damn sure don't need to be building AR's for a distributor. No excuse.
Dave N
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you for the post and the responses.

We at Palmetto State Armory take building AR's seriously and are conducting an investigation. We have QC in place to make sure all uppers are assembled correctly, and we record who makes what and when. There are 6 different checks in the QC process dealing with the gas tube, so the QC process was obviously ignored. When we ascertain who let these ship, they will be working elsewhere.

We believe there were only a few of these, but we ask that customers who have this issue contact customer service immediately to have a call tag issued. Customers with this issue will be compensated for the inconvenience with 5 free PSA D&H magazines.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Its good to see how PSA took care of it but im still wondering why the buyer didnt contact them first that way when you post a problem you will either have a happy ending or not to post with the story.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#43]
The reason for this post is that im a total noob....  I had no idea if I did something wrong or if it was the gun. I didn't want to call them up and upand say "my gun don't shoot... " this wasn't a hit piece thread it was informational and id buy from them again... the mags are meaningless the customer service response was excellent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Its good to see how PSA took care of it but im still wondering why the buyer didnt contact them first that way when you post a problem you will either have a happy ending or not to post with the story.

In many circumstances I would agree but with this type of screw up the right thing to do is go public. OP did a service by bringing this to light. Not something that should be swept under the rug. Besides even though OP didn't state what company it was, we all knew.

Even though I've had good dealings with PSA when I see threads like this lately it's a good chance it's PSA. They need to get their shit together or get out of the business before someone gets hurt. Building firearms is a serious business. If this kind of stuff is kept behind the curtain they won't make efforts to change.

OP you did the right thing IMO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been thinking about a PSA upper for a while. I just got m y Armalite lower and need something to top it with.

PSA has some good deals, some good specs, but with these horror stories, Im thinking of just coughing up the extra cash to get the BCM.

Its just hard to ignore the "FN Upper". It sounds worth it, but I dont want to get one of these fucked up rifles. Sure, everything can be fixed, its just a hassle to do so.

Just one of those things. Sure, PSA took care of it, but its things like this that cause future customers to turn away from them.

The "chart" is hog wash IMO, quality of product and quality control are more important.

I dont know about yall, but I doubt PSA would have anything near the Filthy 14. I think Ill go with BCM.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#46]
If PSA slipped an upper through that had the wrong length gas tube they either do not have ANY quality control measures in place OR they have a method of ensuring alignment without the use of the gas tube. We've all put uppers together, that little extra torque required to get the barrel nut just right is very precise.

I have a metal rod that fits precisely in my carrier key and extends out like the gas tube would. I tighten the barrel nut, check the alignment by placing the carrier that I will be using in the receiver with the rod installed. If the metal rod protrudes trough the barrel nut's teeth and the gas tube hole in the upper receiver, you're GTG!

Called it! Get in here PSA and tell'em!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The reason for this post is that im a total noob....  I had no idea if I did something wrong or if it was the gun. I didn't want to call them up and upand say "my gun don't shoot... " this wasn't a hit piece thread it was informational and id buy from them again... the mags are meaningless the customer service response was excellent.

Sums that up doesn't it conspiracy theorists?

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If PSA slipped an upper through that had the wrong length gas tube they either do not have ANY quality control measures in place OR they have a method of ensuring alignment without the use of the gas tube. We've all put uppers together, that little extra torque required to get the barrel nut just right is very precise.

Did you not read PSA's response?

Quoted:
There are 6 different checks in the QC process dealing with the gas tube, so the QC process was obviously ignored. When we ascertain who let these ship, they will be working elsewhere.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you not read PSA's response?

Quoted:
There are 6 different checks in the QC process dealing with the gas tube, so the QC process was obviously ignored. When we ascertain who let these ship, they will be working elsewhere.

Yes. I read it. 6 quality control checks could mean virtually anything. I was being more precise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#50]
There really aren't too many ways the problem could have occurred. When you're building hundreds of uppers you probably don't go about it like you would if you were just building one by yourself.

Probably build them in a more assembly line fashion, with multiple people working on different steps of the build. Oops, one carbine gas tube slips in with the Middies and you get........ OP's problem.

Everyone who owns an AR should build their first one from a pile of parts. I gives you a good understanding of what's going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top