Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
AR-15 owner since 1971
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:30:51 AM

The new Vltor TS3 Tactical Sporter Carbine

Seen it on September 13th, 2011, History Channel’s Top Shot the new Vltor TS3 Tactical Sporter Carbine.

Basic Features of the VLTOR TS3 Carbine:

• Vltor TS3 Lower Receiver featuring a beveled magazine-well, large button magazine release and three-position, quick-detachable single-point sling mount.

• Vltor VIS-2A-AK polylithic/free float upper receiver assembly with 10-inch rail section and bolt assist.

• EMod w/A5 Enhancement Kit (Enhanced Modstock) featuring integral rubber buttpad, multiple sling attachments and storage for up to eight AA-batteries or nine-3 volt lithium batteries. A5 receiver extension offers seven different stock placements.

• Noveske hammer forged, chrome lined, 15-inch, 1-7 inch twist barrel with mid-length gas system.

• Vltor Compensator (VC-A1) permanently attached to the barrel, making the barrel length a legal 16.25 inch barrel.

• Bravo Company USA, Gunfighter Charging Handle (BCM-GFH-556-MOD4) designed by Vltor.

• TangoDown SCAR Rail Panels and BattleGrip (BG-16)

• Diamondhead USA, Flip-Up “Classic” Combat Sights

Style: M4 type carbine with extreme enhancements
Colors: Black on black
Weight: 7 lbs. 7 oz
Overall length (stock collapsed):32.5 inches
Overall length (stock extended):36.5 inches
LOP (stock collapsed): 11.5 inches
LOP (stocks fully extended): 14.75 (7-positions total between extended and collapsed)
Caliber: 5.56 NATO
Barrel: Noveske Medium contour, 15-inch Chrome-Line Hammer-forged with a pinned on Vltor VC-A1 “A1” type compensator (barrel length is a legal 16.25 inches)
Sight Distance: 15 inches
Fire Control Group: Standard “G.I.” type

Retail price: $2,495

What do you guys think, all the features and weight looks pretty good, the only thing is the high price.

Ref: http://www.vltor.com/ts3carbine.html

YMMV

AR3
AR15ophile
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:03:10 AM
I thought this was a pretty awesome weapon, very similar to the AR in looks and functionality. However, a lot of those guys, self-professed "expert marksmen" missed the targets multiple times. Some of this I attribute to a new firearm; however, a couple of the guys were dead-bang on target within seconds after picking the weapon up from the platform.

I know through the power of television, magical things seem to happen, but I wonder about the accuracy.

And you're right, the price is prohibitively high, at least for now. Just wait til the Chinese or Germans start mass producing these. :)
durabo
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:04:56 AM
[Last Edit: 9/14/2011 5:07:10 AM by durabo]
You know I love VLTOR... and I was surprised when I saw that on the show tonight. VLTOR makes the BEST stocks IMO... But that right there... meh.

For a cool grand more than a PredatAR.... why?

I expect the PredatAR shoots better. Is lighter. Doesn't have a big ol cheese grater rail on it. Better trigger.

Meh... I am a huge VLTOR fan but honestly they need to step it up a bit more lately... there are so many things they could be doing right now to better their product line and keep a firm grip on being a industry leader.

So many EASY things they could be doing. But they just aren't... I don't understand why.

I will still buy Imods.
apierce918
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:45:05 AM
I'm not seeing $2500 worth of rifle, but that's just me
DanNH
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:49:06 AM
Originally Posted By apierce918:

nope, not just you. I'm not seeing it either.
Lancelot
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:21:36 AM
Pretty rifle, but the price point is way to high.

ArmedPete
1*
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:46:00 AM
[Last Edit: 9/14/2011 8:08:52 AM by ArmedPete]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Yep, I wouldnt pay more than the price of a Noveske N4.
Wicked windy, super far, a buncha mils, send it!

Be courteous and kind to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them quickly if necessary.

01bmf
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:51:05 AM
Originally Posted By apierce918:

Not even close. Some are really cashing in on how much people will pay for a "designer" AR.
squirrelslayer1
Collector of shoulder things that go up.
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 7:54:51 AM
That looks like a $1600 rifle right there. Beautiful, but too rich for what it is.
"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

Thank you unknown Good Samaritan for my team membership!
bankfraudguy
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:27:49 AM
Originally Posted By AR15ophile:
I thought this was a pretty awesome weapon, very similar to the AR in looks and functionality. However, a lot of those guys, self-professed "expert marksmen" missed the targets multiple times. Some of this I attribute to a new firearm; however, a couple of the guys were dead-bang on target within seconds after picking the weapon up from the platform.

I know through the power of television, magical things seem to happen, but I wonder about the accuracy.

And you're right, the price is prohibitively high, at least for now. Just wait til the Chinese or Germans start mass producing these. :)

Call BS when you see it, Speak the truth, and Don't argue with idiots.

A veteran is like a guardian angel, except you can shake a vets hand...

Revving your bike at stoplights is just plain queer.
foreman2000
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:32:42 AM
2,400... You wont see this one in my safe !
OIF_Vet08-09
Fear is the foundation of most governments.
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:54:15 AM
For $1,600 I would consider it. For $2,400 I can get a OBR lite modded to my specs.
Fuck that noise, OP. Eat a fucking snickers bar and lay some fucking ground rules for that woman. Start with the kitchen.
-EasTexan-

Men have two emotions.....Hungry and horny.
If he doesn't have a hard-on, make him a sammich.
a-bare
zulthor
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:00:40 AM

Agreed, and at the price point it's unacceptable to have a shitty trigger, a cheap flash hider, and it's a DI gun.
ArmedPete
1*
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:10:11 AM
Originally Posted By zulthor:

Agreed, and at the price point it's unacceptable to have a shitty trigger, a cheap flash hider, and it's a DI gun.

this is a good thing to me.

Wicked windy, super far, a buncha mils, send it!

Be courteous and kind to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them quickly if necessary.

RussellAthletic
Terminal Black Rifle Disease
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:13:52 AM
I love Vltor products but like the others I'm having a hard time seeing where the $2500 comes from. I'd like someone to break down the components to see what price we get.
jerz_subbie
Acronym & abbreviation whore :-)
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:20:42 AM
[Last Edit: 9/14/2011 9:21:31 AM by jerz_subbie]
I too saw it on Top Shot last night and thought it looked pretty good. I also noticed that so many of the guys were having accuracy issues. I wonder if someone zeroed the rifles incorrectly or the unfamiliar rifle combined with the pressure just got to them.

Considering a DD M4 is $1366, this has Diamondhead sights, a few nice upgrades, and a Noveske barrel, I agree with most others here that it's a solid $1600 rifle. For $2500, they're smoking crack. I think the complete lower was advertised a little while back at ~ $700. And you're not even getting a match trigger.
"When will the economy get better?" When you start spending!

Yes, I'm licensed to use a dremel. Don't try this at home!

Feedback +259
Medicfrost
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:24:16 AM
Wow, that's a pricey rifle.
albatrossarmament
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:33:27 AM
I really, really like it. The price is crazy, but maybe they have to pay for the TV advertising.
johnreilly
Oh No Godzilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 10:49:41 AM

???????????????????????????????????????

Remember the Cold War. Screw the Russians!
EL_TIRADOR
Distinguished Rifleman - Presidents 100
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:11:56 AM
Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:
http://www.vltor.com/images/ts3/HomeTS3-Lg.jpg
The new Vltor TS3 Tactical Sporter Carbine

Seen it on September 13th, 2011, History Channel’s Top Shot the new Vltor TS3 Tactical Sporter Carbine.

Basic Features of the VLTOR TS3 Carbine:

• Vltor TS3 Lower Receiver featuring a beveled magazine-well, large button magazine release and three-position, quick-detachable single-point sling mount.

• Vltor VIS-2A-AK polylithic/free float upper receiver assembly with 10-inch rail section and bolt assist.

• EMod w/A5 Enhancement Kit (Enhanced Modstock) featuring integral rubber buttpad, multiple sling attachments and storage for up to eight AA-batteries or nine-3 volt lithium batteries. A5 receiver extension offers seven different stock placements.

• Noveske hammer forged, chrome lined, 15-inch, 1-7 inch twist barrel with mid-length gas system.

• Vltor Compensator (VC-A1) permanently attached to the barrel, making the barrel length a legal 16.25 inch barrel.

• Bravo Company USA, Gunfighter Charging Handle (BCM-GFH-556-MOD4) designed by Vltor.

• TangoDown SCAR Rail Panels and BattleGrip (BG-16)

• Diamondhead USA, Flip-Up “Classic” Combat Sights

Style: M4 type carbine with extreme enhancements
Colors: Black on black
Weight: 7 lbs. 7 oz
Overall length (stock collapsed):32.5 inches
Overall length (stock extended):36.5 inches
LOP (stock collapsed): 11.5 inches
LOP (stocks fully extended): 14.75 (7-positions total between extended and collapsed)
Caliber: 5.56 NATO
Barrel: Noveske Medium contour, 15-inch Chrome-Line Hammer-forged with a pinned on Vltor VC-A1 “A1” type compensator (barrel length is a legal 16.25 inches)
Sight Distance: 15 inches
Fire Control Group: Standard “G.I.” type

Retail price: $2,495

What do you guys think, all the features and weight looks pretty good, the only thing is the high price.

Ref: http://www.vltor.com/ts3carbine.html

$2,500??????? Smoking crack!!!

David
Fort Worth, Texas

US Air Force (Retired)
1989 - 2010
Distinguished Rifleman - Presidents 100 - NRA Life Member - Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
Koshinn
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:17:09 AM
[Last Edit: 9/14/2011 11:28:11 AM by Koshinn]
Piecing it together from Rainier Arms:
Vltor Lower
Vltor EMod
Vltor VIS 10"
Vltor 2.1" flash hider
Noveske afghan 14.5" mid-length (with low pro gas block)
Mid-length gas tube
BCM/Vltor gunfighter charging handle
LMT full-auto BCG
Troy front and rear folding battlesights
Tango down battle grip
3 Tango down rail panels
$2,090

Differences are:
No A5 receiver extension since the vltor lower comes with a receiver extension
14.5"+2.1" vs 15"+1.something" barrel
LMT vs ?? BCG
Troy vs Diamondhead folding sights
An extra pistol grip
$405
northpark
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:58:18 AM
I wonder if this comes with the same 'we threw a generic trigger in there because we figured everyone would replace it anyway' trigger that came in their lowers
Koshinn
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 12:02:40 PM
Originally Posted By northpark:
I wonder if this comes with the same 'we threw a generic trigger in there because we figured everyone would replace it anyway' trigger that came in their lowers

Would have been nice if it came with a Geissele trigger of some sort and a trigger guard.

At that point, all you really need is a sling, light, and optics...
Wait, so what are you really getting for $2,500?
Alpha-Romeo3
AR-15 owner since 1971
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 12:25:24 PM
The LaRue OBR was also shown at that Top Shot show, remember where both teams went up the pole to reach the shooting platforms.

The closest comparable with this are the Noveske 16" Light Recce with Vltor VIS rifle upper at $2,450.

The Noveske are also pricey, differences are the noted Noveske model have 16" LW barrel, Blackout FS, 12" rails, Troy BUIS, gen 2 large magwell lower receiver, Noveske QD end plate - staked, 6 pos mil-spec receiver extension, Vltor IMOD carbine stock, MOE grip and about a quarter pound lighter.

Someone could also put together a LMT MRP with rifle length upper receiver with their 16" barrel at a lower cost, also a Vltor A5 stock kit could be used if desired.

I also agree with the others that the LaRue PredatAR is more affordable even if it doesn't have an integrated railed upper receiver.

At the opposite upper end the Christensen Arms CA-15 Recon piston with carbon fiber reinforced barrel and CF railed handguard at $2,995, ouch.

I'm sure there are other setup that could be pieced together using high quality components at a lot lower prices, let us know if you have any ideas.

YMMV

AR3
zulthor
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 12:27:10 PM
I really hated on top shot how they acted like it was such a great leap forward in technology, when it clearly isn't.
Ben762
Geology Undergrad
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2011 12:49:52 PM
Originally Posted By bankfraudguy:

He's new, give him a break
You only go around once.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3