Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2011 10:01:16 PM EDT
What is the best valued AR-15? I'm looking to buy my first AR-15 but dont want to spend a ton on my first one, but also want it to be reliable.

Note: I am a lefty so any accessories you think will improve the ease of use for me please let me know. (I like the left handed Stags but don't think I want to spend that much on an AR-15 right now.)
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA, Spike's, Delton, CMMG... take your pick. All can be had for under $600-800.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The stag left handed upper can be had for under $600. You can easily put a lower together for $150 or so, $200 at the most. $750-$800 for a lefty AR isn't too bad. Of all my AR's the Stag is my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The one you build yourself will be the best value. Suggestion is to build your first AR15 is find something that can fit all the roles.  A Recce build is always a good start. You get the best of everything in a nice well rounded package.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PSA, Spike's, Delton, CMMG... take your pick. All can be had for under $600-800.

Ditto.  Sipikes is a great brand.  Also Rock River Arms and Bushmaster makes affordable rifles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
For fit, finish and $$$ cant go wrong with Rock River Arms
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Use of Rifle or Carbine?
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bravo Co or Colt. Instead of buying multiple ARs, like nearly all of us have, why not get one good one in the beginning, it will probably last you your lifetime and the difference in price is less than a case of high quality ammo.

Very well stated. I lost quite a bit of money going the cheap route in the beginning and selling them off later. If I could do it over, I would have been patient and slowly assembled or bought one badass SBR. The range beaters should have come last. I would have actually saved quite a bit of money doing that. If I weren't mechanically inclined or able to own a SBR, I'd probably just save up and buy a Colt 6940. That is a lot of quality gun for the money IMO and it is one of those weapons that you just don't 'outgrow' like you might a budget build or budget rifle.

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to buy a Hesse, it will go bang most of the time and is a good value for the money.  Don;t believe those snobs and "fanboys" that want you to buy a quality rifle, you're smarter than they are and if you can save a little money you can hit McDonalds more and fill up on fries.  

But seriously Bushmaster or DPMS are fine for sport, competition, and hobby shooting, and for a little more money BCM COLT LMT DD are all basically in reach.  I would save a little more money and buy a quality rifle up front.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bravo Co or Colt. Instead of buying multiple ARs, like nearly all of us have, why not get one good one in the beginning, it will probably last you your lifetime and the difference in price is less than a case of high quality ammo.

This, then learn to shoot irons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
This is the best ambi part you can buy!!! Link
I'm not even a left handed shooter and I use them for reaction hand shooting when I do transition drills.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is the best ambi part you can buy!!! Link
I'm not even a left handed shooter and I use them for reaction hand shooting when I do transition drills.

+1 The 45 degree unit is slick too

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, then learn to shoot irons.

You'll buy one, realize what you really want.  Buy a second but this time the way you want, attach a bunch of magpul crap.  Then realize KISS and lightweight are more important.  Irons are a must
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Lots of opinions.  I'll throw in my .02 cents.  You asked what AR is the best value and I say, check out the Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport.  I see these all the time selling for around $625.00

Quoted:
What is the best valued AR-15? I'm looking to buy my first AR-15 but dont want to spend a ton on my first one, but also want it to be reliable.

Note: I am a lefty so any accessories you think will improve the ease of use for me please let me know. (I like the left handed Stags but don't think I want to spend that much on an AR-15 right now.)

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

LMT needs to be on that list.

Every bit as good as Colt and particularly BCM.

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport $599.00   http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248920277

COLT 6520 $899.00 http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-3/index.html

PAGE 34-35
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Close to 5k rounds through my LMT, cleaned 4 times, and still no failures with any kind of ammo.

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMT needs to be on that list.

Every bit as good as Colt and particularly BCM.

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have to say BCM. That is what everybody winds up upgrading to anyway. But if you are judging your entire AR experience from your first AR I would skip the milspec clones and go with something like STAG, RRA and the old Bushmaster. Generally if you shoot with cheap ammo the 1/7 chrome lined barrels will not produce great results on paper.

Personally i would go straight to the 1/8 stainless midlength from PSA. Put together a PSA lower and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Truth, the penguin has spoken it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stag rifles aren't that expensive and are well made.  The new Plus Package adds most of the items "the chart" looks for.

I'm happy with my Stag 3, works great.  Is it the best?  Eh... probably not.  But it's reliable and accurate enough.  If I had to replace it today and couldn't build my own, I'd look at a Stag +, Spike's, BCM, or just drop the cash on a Colt 6920.

Don't fight your equipment.  Get a left-handed upper and ambi-controls on your lower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy the best you can afford and save up later for all the extra stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buy the best you can afford and save up later for all the extra stuff.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Too broad of a question. Read the AR Discussions FAQ and narrow down your choices.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top