7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 8/18/2011 8:07:04 PM
[Last Edit: 8/20/2011 11:35:56 PM by _Soggy_]
Maybe we can get a thread where Arfcom's finest and brightest(and maybe cheapest) show of their DIY mods. I've seen some custom sling mounts, cleaning rod mounts, grip enhancers, slings, and more from arfcom.

Recon Wrap. Take a section of bicycle innertube(18" is about what I used) and make it into two pieces(or you could leave it as 1 if you want it more bulky). Tightly wrap a piece around A2 grip to desired thickness and tuck it through it's own wrap to trap it. Easiest way is when there is 1 wrap left, to wrap your finger and a2 grip together with the tube; you can then tuck the innertube where your finger is on the next pass. If you do it tight it will hold or you can add a ranger band(cut intact innertube so it looks like a rubber band) for backup.

Mr_Black15
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2011 8:11:32 PM
I am thinking of the rear detent pin mod. That's a DIY
madcratebuilder
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 11:26:37 AM
Originally Posted By Mr_Black15:
I am thinking of the rear detent pin mod. That's a DIY

Me too.

There's the trigger guard mod to use screws instead of a roll pin.
Trigger return travel mod with a set screw in the grip screw hole.
Long set screw with nylon tip in lower to tighten the upper fit.
Engage bolt stop with mag release, requires some machining skillz.
Replace bolt stop roll pin with custom machined set screw.
Home brew gas buster charging handle.

That's all my brain can think of without more coffee.

atlantisman
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 8:52:08 PM
Your castle nut is on backwards.
iNeXile556
Deo vindice
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:08:36 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 9:11:22 PM by iNeXile556]
Originally Posted By _Soggy_:
Maybe we can get a thread where Arfcom's finest and brightest....

Originally Posted By atlantisman:

Great first post.
Welcome to the nuthouse.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil,
but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Russ4777
San Jose, CA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:10:54 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 9:12:43 PM by Russ4777]

So, if he was to turn it around, what material would he deform down into the notches to lock the nut? There is nothing on the back side. Normally, the lock plate is what gets center punched down into the notches.
1st Cav Div, B 5/7
Vietnam/Cambodia
iNeXile556
Deo vindice
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:13:53 PM

Originally Posted By Russ4777:

So, if he was to turn it around, what material would he deform down into the notches to lock the nut? There is nothing on the back side. Normally, the lock plate is what gets center punched down into the notches.
That could be true, doesn't change the fact that it is on backwards.

Russ4777
San Jose, CA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:15:53 PM
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:

Originally Posted By Russ4777:

That could be true, doesn't change the fact that it is on backwards.

You are correct. I just had a brain fart. It is on backwards.
1st Cav Div, B 5/7
Vietnam/Cambodia
atlantisman
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:23:43 PM
the staking notches are clearly visible in the photo.
iNeXile556
Deo vindice
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:27:26 PM

the staking notches are clearly visible in the photo.

Now don't go ruining Russ's whole night! He had a self admitted brain fart, it undoubtedly effected his eyesight, let's just let it go at that.
diaz_aa
كافر
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:08:10 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 10:10:00 PM by diaz_aa]
We had one that died.... Good luck. Stair tape cut to fit.

"
"Around here we handle problems with sight alignment, sight picture...."
"Whatever happened to eating his ass out in the Principal's office" - KRPIND
DAC1984
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:19:24 PM

It's the Les Baer way to install a castle nut.
durabo
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:25:05 PM
Originally Posted By diaz_aa:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h456/diazaa1/2010-12-09151647.jpg"

i started doing that once... took FOREVER. so i gave up.

InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:28:48 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 10:29:08 PM by InfiniteGrim]
I still love my modded trigger. Light & smooth.

100% reliable, with 5.56 & .22lr
_Soggy_
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 11:28:28 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 11:32:37 PM by _Soggy_]

Great first post.
Welcome to the nuthouse.

I put it on "backwards" for a reason. I couldn't get it tightened and it kept coming loose. I used loctite to keep it from coming loose, it is much easier to apply loctite with the spaces when putting it on backwards.

Maybe I should add that mod to my first post?

Edit: I was hoping some people would put up some directions and pictures to the mods.
sinlessorrow
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 11:32:45 PM
[Last Edit: 8/19/2011 11:33:48 PM by sinlessorrow]

Great first post.
Welcome to the nuthouse.

I put it on "backwards" for a reason. I couldn't get it tightened and it kept coming loose. I used loctite to keep it from coming loose, it is much easier to apply loctite with the spaces when putting it on backwards.

Edit: I was hoping some people would put up some directions and pictures to the mods.

you do know thats why those little divets are on the opposite side? your supposed to stake and displace some metal into those to lock it down

ETA: how did you get the innertube to stay in place, i want to do this to my pressure switch on my grippod, i just dont trust that 3m velcro
_Soggy_
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 11:44:15 PM
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Great first post.
Welcome to the nuthouse.

you do know thats why those little divets are on the opposite side? your supposed to stake and displace some metal into those to lock it down

ETA: how did you get the innertube to stay in place, i want to do this to my pressure switch on my grippod, i just dont trust that 3m velcro

Yes I know, but then it is more of a hassle(and $) to take it off later if I stake it.

When you have 1 wrap left, wrap it around your finger and A2 grip(or whatever). Come back around and tuck it through where your finger is so the end will stick out of the bottom. Make sure you are pulling it tight when you are wrapping it and it will stay. You can also make a ranger band by cutting a piece off the intact innertube. That way it will be like a very strong rubber band.
sinlessorrow
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2011 11:47:20 PM

Great first post.
Welcome to the nuthouse.

Yes I know, but then it is more of a hassle(and $) to take it off later if I stake it.

When you have 1 wrap left, wrap it around your finger and A2 grip(or whatever). Come back around and tuck it through where your finger is so the end will stick out of the bottom. Make sure you are pulling it tight when you are wrapping it and it will stay. You can also make a ranger band by cutting a piece off the intact innertube. That way it will be like a very strong rubber band.

awsome idea, this is just the solution to make sure that pressure switch doesnt go anywhere
dissipator556
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 12:19:29 AM
This is why some people don't need to embark on amateur gun-smithing; a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Soggy, spend $6 and get a rra buttstock wrench, put the damn castle nut on the right way, and stake it down per the mil-spec. Don't use loc-tite, or otherwise try re-inventing the damn wheel. You won't succeed, and they will all laugh at you. Save the jerry-rigging of critical parts for the airsoft crowd.
Semper Fi.
To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
sinlessorrow
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 12:22:49 AM
Originally Posted By dissipator556:
This is why some people don't need to embark on amateur gun-smithing; a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Soggy, spend $6 and get a rra buttstock wrench, put the damn castle nut on the right way, and stake it down per the mil-spec. Don't use loc-tite, or otherwise try re-inventing the damn wheel. You won't succeed, and they will all laugh at you. Save the jerry-rigging of critical parts for the airsoft crowd.

hey the innertube idea is a pretty good one, but yea i agree on the castle nut, things like that i prefer to be right
_Soggy_
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 1:35:45 AM

It was either not shooting(ie checking it constantly at the range) or fixing it with what I had. I will add the word temporary since some people aren't confident in it. I did this sometime last year and it hasn't been a problem. I will continue to use loctite on this particular AR unless I have a problem. YMMV.
MagnusM4
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 1:46:34 AM

It was either not shooting(ie checking it constantly at the range) or fixing it with what I had. I will add the word temporary since some people aren't confident in it. I did this sometime last year and it hasn't been a problem. I will continue to use loctite on this particular AR unless I have a problem. YMMV.

Which is why you stake it.
thewildman
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 3:20:38 AM

hey the innertube idea is a pretty good one, but yea i agree on the castle nut, things like that i prefer to be right

sorry to say it, but the innertube is bubba'd just like the castle nut is bubba'd.
ColonelHurtz
Horror and moral terror are your friends.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 3:21:10 AM
[Last Edit: 8/20/2011 3:23:27 AM by ColonelHurtz]
Originally Posted By durabo:
Originally Posted By diaz_aa:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h456/diazaa1/2010-12-09151647.jpg"

i started doing that once... took FOREVER. so i gave up.

Ghetto anti-slip is enamel paint with a handful of coarse sand mixed in.
Just sayin'. Works great on stair treads too.
"If people insist on photoshops that have nothing to do with anything but racial stereotypes - like Obama dressed like a pimp, eating watermelon and asking where the white wimmenz are at - then that thread will be locked too."
DK-Prof
iNeXile556
Deo vindice
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 10:02:37 PM

That is a good backpedal for your mistake. Your explination simply doesn't make any sense either, loctite can be put on with the castle nut on the right way, it works exactly the same.
ChickenDaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2011 10:28:10 PM
I had a FF tube installed on my Ar10, and Armalite sent me the new ejection port door rod.

I took it to the smith, and we discovered they sent a standard rod (the same length as was already on it), instead of the longer FF tube rod.

The smith cut out a piece of semi-hard rubber and filled the gap between the rod and ff tube with it (friction fit).

It's worked great for two years.

Armalite did send the right part out, but I had to pay shipping. It's the second time they have sent me the wrong part and made me pay shipping for the right one. I'll take it back in and have the right rod put in some day, but I believe the FF tube has to be removed and it's gonna cost me a box of ammo, so I'll most likely shoot it like this til it fails or just run it with no ejection port door.
My college professor stated that "there are no absolutes"
I raised my hand, and when called upon, asked: "Isn't your statement an absolute"?

Previous Page
Page:  / 3
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED