Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2011 4:21:49 PM EDT
Is a DD M4V5 considered entry level? If so why and what model wouldnt be? just asking here because I thought all DD's were pretty much upper end quality. Just trying to get a better than average AR to start with..you know a little more now than alot more later kind of thought process. thanks for the help.......
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a V5 back in April.  Threw on some Troy folding battle sights and have not looked back.  It is a fantastic rifle!  It is also my first, and definitely not my last.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DD is top notch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
DD is well known for being high quality. I dont tihnk you will find many people around here who will say a bad word about them
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
DD is top notch.  From the tone and spirit of your question, I'd wager that you're much more "entry level" than your AR.  No offense, because my AR's normally outpace my skill set.  You're DD AR is awesome, shoot and train with it.  You need to decide if your gear works for you; don't let the internet decide.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
is there really such thing as an entry level?  ARs are all pretty much the same some are just higher quality
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
is there really such thing as an entry level?  ARs are all pretty much the same some are just higher quality

What I was thinking.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Entry level AR:  RRA, DPMS, OLY, Bushmaster, Stag, S&W and more.  Any rifle that off the shelf is not truely milspec or better in its quality of parts and reliability.  Most consumer brand rifles require various tweaks, upgrades to reach these levels and some never will due to the materials and methods used in their production.

DD is a great rifle that out of the box meets or exceeds the minimum standard for what most users would require.  DD is a great choice for a first AR.  Buy once and cry once.  Put an optic of your choice on it (or dont) and get enrolled in some courses and shoot the hell out of it.

DD is an ecellent choice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The V5 is awesome and is on my wish list. I build all my ARs. I will make an exception for the V5.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering some of the high end names like Noveske, JP, KAC, etc. I'd say your DD is just a notch below the top, but surely equal in overall quality. Bottom line is you've got a GREAT rifle!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Entry level AR:  RRA, DPMS, OLY, Bushmaster, Stag, S&W and more.  Any rifle that off the shelf is not truely milspec or better in its quality of parts and reliability.  Most consumer brand rifles require various tweaks, upgrades to reach these levels and some never will due to the materials and methods used in their production.
DD is a great rifle that out of the box meets or exceeds the minimum standard for what most users would require.  DD is a great choice for a first AR.  Buy once and cry once.  Put an optic of your choice on it (or dont) and get enrolled in some courses and shoot the hell out of it.

This is horseshit.  Please don't bite, generalize, and repeat this gargabe as this user has apparently done.  Ignorance in its most pure form. "Fuzzy" at best.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Considering some of the high end names like Noveske, JP, KAC, etc. I'd say your DD is just a notch below the top, but surely equal in overall quality. Bottom line is you've got a GREAT rifle!

+1 those are the top of the line rifles, yours falls just below them
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no such thing as "entry level"

When you go to purchase an AR rifle you should ask yourself "Do I want a rifle that is Mil-Spec, or better than mil-spec... Or do I want a rifle that has been put together with inferior materials and less QC measures to increase the company's profit margin"

Once you answer that question I think what you need to do should become clear, and  DD fits in the "mil-spec or better" catagory along with Colt, BCM, LaRue, Noveske, and PSA.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know that I'd call it "entry level". Its a good choice any way you look at it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is horseshit.  Please don't bite, generalize, and repeat this gargabe as this user has apparently done.  Ignorance in its most pure form. "Fuzzy" at best.

I agree the brands highlighted in red are not entry level but more hobby grade. these are the AR builders who take short cuts and some have QC issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Entry could also describe the componets on the gun

I consider a configuration such as the colt 6920 to be entry level. Simple collapsible stock, simple handguards, irons, standard BCG and FCG and A2 bird cage. entry level = no frills

When you start upgrading you are now specializing the purpose of the rifle. The rifle is a sum of it's parts, you use crappy parts you have a crappy rifle
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Entry level = first AR
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
DD is well above entry level.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
DD is a great entry level gun. When I was new I bought a RRA. RRA makesa lot of dumb rifles; at least DD makes carbines that don't have dumb configurations.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Entry level = first AR

This. I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed with a DD! Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#20]
What do you mean by entry level?

Do you mean by low price?  Some people define entry level or beginner level by price alone.  DD is not the most expensive, but they are priced higher than many other manufacturers.  If price is not an object, then DD could be considered entry level.

Do you mean by operating features?  ARs have a number os features inherent to the design.  Some companies install additional doodads (like rails, and ambi bolt releases and magazine releases).  Some of these doodads may be attractive to you or you may consider them to be required features.  Most manufacturers offer models with different doodads added on.  Usually I suggest that someone new to ARs buy a KISS weapon, and learn to shoot it effectively, adding on the doodads that he/she discovers might be benefits for the mission.

Do you mean by material quality and assembly quality?  While all ARs are supposed to be dimensional the same, and built to a minimum quality standard, many are not.  Parts may be MIM (metal injected molding), cast, forged, or machined.  The problem is not in the type of manufacture, it's in the quality of the materials, and production QC.  The first AR I build was a parts kit from the infamous Nessard (Nessard is now closed), but the same family that operated it now operates several known AR parts and build companies Model 1 Sales is one of them.  I would not own another gun from that companiy or any of it's offspring.  Some military surplus parts were supplied in the kit.  US military surplus parts were rusty, and worn.  The new commercial parts that were supplied were out of spec dimensionally, had poor finishing (bad color match), parts were improperly assembled (bolt assembly missing the rubber insert on the extractor spring), and were made of inferior materials (metal parts were too soft (extractor, hammer, trigger, and bolt cam pin), and were wearing rapidly when I got rid of the gun).  

DD guns are GTG.  If you can afford to buy one as your first AR or to learn to shoot, you won't be disappointed with the gun, but with all skills you will need to practice to become competent with it.

If you are asking if there are other guns that might be fine for a beginner (entry level), I'd say go with PSA.  PSA guns are 1/2 the price of DD guns, and you will get about the same level of quality.  In any fad (including guns), the name on the side (flavor of the month) always bumps the selling price up over that of other less well know names.  PSA is a newer brand name, gathering critical mass, and bursting onto the mainstage this year on the way up as a supplier, it's where (Bushmaster, OLY, DPMS, RR, DD, LMT, BCM, Stag, Colt, Eagle Arms, Armalite, and others were/are at different times).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top