You guys lube more than once?  I thought it was once and done

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just can't believe any AR having zero failures in 1/10th of those rounds

Really?  My DD is a few mags from hitting 2k with absolutely zero failures, no cleaning, and no lube since it was first fired.  The only reason I'm doing it is to see just how long it can go without failure.

I'm a firm believer that a decent AR will go a long way without any maintenance.

+1

My PSA upper is at about 1500 right now with no failures or maintenance, the only thing I do is wet the bolt with fresh oil every now and then.

And to the OP, I'm really glad that you are happy with your rifle but I don't see this thread winning everyone hearts for DPMS

I'm well over 2k on my Spikes with no failures of any kind, other than a mangled round I loaded into a mag without noticing.  Needless to say, that one wouldn't even chamber.  I do, however, clean it after each range trip.  I know this is unneccessary, but what I don't know is when something cataclysmic could happen and I would not be able to clean it for a long time.  I figure I'll go into any sort of SHTF with a well lubed rifle.  

OP - You don't need to try to impress anyone around here.  Just enjoy your rifle.   ....and get some BUIS.  That Eotech WILL fail at some point.  

11k >>2k  especially in round count.  However, if the OP is being truthful, he needs to either buy a lottery ticket or head to Vegas pronto!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My Compass Lake .22 upper is going over 10,000 rounds and only the rear leaf spring broke.
My DPMS upper had tracking issues with the rear sight. Dead clicks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm looking at your deflector, and its not saying 10,000 rounds

On my DPMS, the rounds don't even hit the deflector! And the few dings i did have on it, sharpee took care of that. Could hardly notice from a distance yet alone a picture with bad lighting!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm no DPMS hater but I would find it hard to believe the claims regardless of brand.

Maybe the OP could be a little more forthcoming with all the specifics rather than come up

with the facts after someone has brought the matter into question.

The mere fact that parts have been changed out kinda shouts out BS on the original post anyways.

Why stir things up when you can't back it up?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
So what is it that makes dpms so bad, the barrel, upper, lower, all of the above, all i ever see is how bad they are, why?A vulcan has to be a notch above dpms, lots of people use dpms around here, but there junk, i dont get it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on, are Dpms AR's really that bad, i don't buy it.There made right here in Minnesota, can't be all that bad.

Vulcan Arms is located in Minnesota too

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what is it that makes dpms so bad, the barrel, upper, lower, all of the above, all i ever see is how bad they are, why?A vulcan has to be a notch above dpms, lots of people use dpms around here, but there junk, i dont get it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on, are Dpms AR's really that bad, i don't buy it.There made right here in Minnesota, can't be all that bad.

Oh no, no, no.  It certainly doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes it makes me sad to say I am from Minnesota.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Wait a minute....I thought AR15's were self-lubricating....
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No they are self cleaning.  All the DI gas blowing in just keeps blowing the extra debris right out as it gets dirty..
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they are self cleaning.  All the DI gas blowing in just keeps blowing the extra debris right out as it gets dirty..

Ahh, yes.  My mistake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orly? I've had no issues with mine, and I've heard from a lot of people that their DPMS runs great as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Lot of Ford Pinto's ran well too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That Eotech WILL fail at some point.

After owning 5. I must be the luckiest sumbitch on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
wow.  Three pages of haters.  Amazing how stirred up people can get from a troll.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]
This apparently is not going the way the OP planned...

<edited out mean comment calling BS>
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Strangly my DPMS has done just fine with around 5000 rounds through it and no issues apart from work two FTE's using some old cap wolf ammo. I rarely get any brass marks on the deflector, and if I do they come right off with a little bit of CLP. I will say the finish on my DPMS is nicer than that of my BCM upper I'm using on my current build.  I just can't complain about anything with my DPMS. It's functioned as it should and is plenty accurate for use as a carbine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That Eotech WILL fail at some point.

After owning 5. I must be the luckiest sumbitch on the planet.

I don't know about the luckiest but the last 4 552's that I used all crapped out on me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats what i don't understand, lots of people on this site say there junk{dpms}, but i dont believe it, and yet nobody will say whats junk about them.I got my eye on one, and it looks better than some other ones i have seen.So again i ask what is it that makes them junk? Some here would have you think they were at the bottom of the barrel, do they work or not? Are they not reliable? Accurate to only 30yds, do they fall apart er what? I have heard people like them also, but not by some on this site.So what is the issue with DPMS?
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thats what i don't understand, lots of people on this site say there junk{dpms}, but i dont believe it, and yet nobody will say whats junk about them.I got my eye on one, and it looks better than some other ones i have seen.So again i ask what is it that makes them junk? Some here would have you think they were at the bottom of the barrel, do they work or not? Are they not reliable? Accurate to only 30yds, do they fall apart er what? I have heard people like them also, but not by some on this site.So what is the issue with DPMS?

Junk? Hell no. I carry one on duty.

Their internals are not mil-spec from what I understand.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would say they are "less-optimal" than you can get for the same money, or less, elsewhere.
Mil-Spec is a term I try and not utter unless its' something made by Colt or FN or someone that
actually HAS the TDP.  You can cut a lot of corners on an AR and they still run OK, most people
will never know the difference unless they get one with a gas key that comes loose or something
dramatic like that.  As a technical person personally it'd drive me nuts paying more for less, even
if I don't need the more.  And I don't.  But I have it any way (and some would argue the fact).

As for technicals, what is the barrel made of, what's the twist rate, what's the gas port size, how in-spec is the chamber,
what's the BCG made out of, is it a semi or FA carrier, and a bunch of other odds and ends.  None of which are really required
for the thing to go bang, but become more of a requirement, slowly but surely, the more adverse the conditions
get it has to operate in.  They aren't "junk" to me, I can do better for the same money, but if they were all there was I'd
make do and not loose sleep over it.  Some people have a less forgiving attitude, and I understand that to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I own a DPMS, i have never had a problem with it. In fact, i rather enjoy it. However, it is not my go to rifle anymore. I have sense bought into the "flavor of the month" Palmetto State Armory. Personally all the people who knock DPMS are like people who drive Ferrari's and get annoyed at the people who drive Hondas and Fords!
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

because its not mil spec. the same reason RRA gets no love on here. which i thin k RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec, and whats mil spec gonna change!  nothing. DPMS is gonna do what you need it to do. its A OK.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#24]
i think more highly of DPMS than the OP.

they make a good product. may not be the best, but it is a good product.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
BJKB1F,

your sig is amazing - ha!

Poppin' PMAGs in the ice....like a blizzard. When we FO we do it right, gettin slizzered. Sippin Syzerp in the BOV, like three six. Now, I'm feelin' so fly like G6.

OP - good for you if you like your rifle and it serves you well ––- however, SMUG THREAD IS SMUG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because its not mil spec. the same reason RRA gets no love on here. which i thin k RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec, and whats mil spec gonna change!  nothing. DPMS is gonna do what you need it to do. its A OK.

There is no civ AR that's "mil-spec."

dennyd: The issue that a lot of serious shooters take issue with as far as DPMS is that they are kind of a budget minded AR & it shows in their specs & QC. DPMS doesn't inspire a lot of confidence because they are known for out of spec (tight) 5.56 chambers, non-concentric bores & threads (a major issue if running a can, however, most casual shooters don't own cans anyway), crappy fcg parts/out of spec (grossly over sized) split pins to name a few issues. And then there's the specs that a lot of more serious shooters desire that DPMS doesn't offer as standard, but we could say the same for several other brands out there, too, so I don't think that that's as a big of a problem as some make it seem. I have nothing against DPMS. I used to own one a long time ago & it shot ok, but I stepped up to ARs with better specs for me. DPMS is fine for a range use, but I wouldn't consider them for anything more serious. They are fine for what they are I guess.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Care to explain why you feel "RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec?"

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I figure the quality will not be up to par to some others i see, but they also can be had for less money. Mine will be used for coyotes and a truck gun, not for firing several thousand rounds in a weekend.Was going for a bushmaster but read on here they were no good either, maybe after i am into ar's for a while i'll see what's going on, but dont want to buy a pile of crap either.––––-Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I didnt say they were junk, dont misunderstand what I meant. What I was getting at is the odds are astronomically small that you could go more than 10k rounds without something failing, Im not talking just the rifle, but ammo and magazines as well. Then the OP realized no one would buy that BS so he backpeddled. Same with the accuracy claim. Ive never had an extractor make it that far without replacing for example, on Colts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just can't believe any AR having zero failures in 1/10th of those rounds

Really?  My DD is a few mags from hitting 2k with absolutely zero failures, no cleaning, and no lube since it was first fired.  The only reason I'm doing it is to see just how long it can go without failure.

I'm a firm believer that a decent AR will go a long way without any maintenance.

I have a SR15 E3 that has a little over 7500 rounds through it without a single rifle related failure. I did have exactly one malfunction that was mag related. I number my mags so I traced it back to that mag after I put it aside during a carbine class.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain why you feel "RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec?"

yes!! RRA has the tightest upper to lower fit. which is alot more important then people think. also they have a amazing track record along with colt. another is there putting out one of the best two stage triggers on the market that alot of people are putting in there builds. there bcg are great and have tight staked keys. the DEA and LEO signed a 5 yr deal with them after testing 10 rifles that day rra got the contract. not to mention there chrome moly barrels have phenomonal accuracy. thats just a few off the top.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yes!! RRA has the tightest upper to lower fit. which is alot more important then people think. also they have a amazing track record along with colt. another is there putting out one of the best two stage triggers on the market that alot of people are putting in there builds. there bcg are great and have tight staked keys. the DEA and LEO signed a 5 yr deal with them after testing 10 rifles that day rra got the contract. not to mention there chrome moly barrels have phenomonal accuracy. thats just a few off the top.

You realize that this has nothing to do with quality or accuracy?

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

why not? it makes great sense why do people buy accu wedges to make them tighter cause it effects the trigger and bcg.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I added a second rifle to my small stable a few weeks ago (DD)First was a DPMS Lite last year-really not a problem. In my mind, an excellent choice for more budget minded, first AR's  and those who don't give a crap and will buy what they want. All good to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

why not? it makes great sense why do people buy accu wedges to make them tighter cause it effects the trigger and bcg.

no it doesnt. no affect on performance
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
fail

it doesnt affect the trigger or the BCG.  is just takes the jiggle that some uppers/lowers have.  it doesnt make hte trigger any tighter, any less creepy, or any smoother.  it doesnt make the bcg....anything.  it doesnt do anything to the firing pin either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]
It's one of those technical-laymans falicys that makes perfect sense, until you understand how the machine really works.
If the wiggle or spacing matters to you, than it matters, sure.  But it has zero effect on the function or accuracy of the weapon.
People buy assloads of carrier buffers for AK's and SKS's too but they aren't of any use what so ever.  Same thing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Not saying the OP is completely honest with us, but the amount of stupidity in this thread about how a rifle looks externally being a reflection of it's round count is astounding.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

because its not mil spec. the same reason RRA gets no love on here. which i thin k RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec, and whats mil spec gonna change! nothing. DPMS is gonna do what you need it to do. its A OK.

that's the exact opposite of milspec.  Have you ever handled a real milspec rifle?

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

because its not mil spec. the same reason RRA gets no love on here. which i thin k RRA is the best AR money can buy thats not mil spec, and whats mil spec gonna change! nothing. DPMS is gonna do what you need it to do. its A OK.

that's the exact opposite of milspec.  Have you ever handled a real milspec rifle?

yeah and there is no real difference. in the performance
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont understand how someone can have 220 posts of nothing but trolling and still be on this site, not only that but your RRA fanaticism is borderline crazy

mind.....blown......

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not saying the OP is completely honest with us, but the amount of stupidity in this thread about how a rifle looks externally being a reflection of it's round count is astounding.

I would have to agree with this
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Rifles with 11,000 rounds through them do not look like that.  No one is saying they need to look beat to shit, but somewhere in that 11,000 rounds your rifle will pick up a mark or two.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont understand how someone can have 220 posts of nothing but trolling and still be on this site, not only that but your RRA fanaticism is borderline crazy

mind.....blown......

there's no trolling, its just real facts about RRA i admit this thread almost made me feel like i bought a bad AR until i did some hard research and learned about the quality of RRA. and how people on here dont talk about it like colt is just amazing to me. all aside i dont care really im happy with my rifle and thats all that matters, plus the fact its just has exspensive has colt BCM, and spikes if not more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#45]

there's no trolling, its just real facts about RRA i admit this thread almost made me feel like i bought a bad AR until i did some hard research and learned about the quality of RRA. and how people on here dont talk about it like colt is just amazing to me. all aside i dont care really im happy with my rifle and thats all that matters, plus the fact its just has exspensive has colt BCM, and spikes if not more.

Just because an AR is more expensive does not mean that it is better...but I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your rifle...it is yours, afterall

ETA:  color
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the bolt made of in that RRA.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had a bit of experience with RRA.They make a good NM A2 rifle and I used one of their lowers on my SDM-R build. That said, I bought another RRA lower at a gunshow that was so tight that it wouldn;t fit any upper I had, unless I pushed the pins out and shoved the upper forward with a mallet. Returned it to RRA. The staking on the bolt carriers was so-so. Most of their rifles seem to have 1/9 twist chrome Moly. They are decent guns but I wouldn't rave about them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You will learn to just ignore people here, its only the internet.
Log out once and a while and go outside, it is nice to get away from the stupid here once in a while.
RRA is not the flavor of the year, back in '03-'04 people couldn't get enough RRA.
Now that arfcom is bored with them they just steadily continue to produce rifles out of the arfcom limelight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Please, just stop.  Stop trying to convince people that RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster and other low end AR-15 patterned carbines ar "just as good as" Colt, BCM, DD, etc.  They ARE NOT!  Don't get me wrong, they do have a place and their owners can get enjoyment out of them, but they are not of the same quality as Colt, BCM, DD.  As a matter of fact, I would place them below Smith & Wesson, Spike's and Palmetto State Armory.  RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster and the likes are made of substandard materials compared to Colt, BCM, DD and have nowhere near the level of QC or testing.  This is evidenced by the out of tolerance components produced by these manufacturers, from uppers and lowers that fit so tight that a punch is required to separate them, to LPK pins that damn near require a sledge hammer to seat them.  Now, as far as the TDP goes and how close civilian manufactured carbines come to meeting it (or meeting what it is reasonably suspected of being), it is just a starting point.  It lays out the MINIMUM acceptable materials and processes for a weapon to be deemed "battle worthy".  Obviously, the closer you come to meeting this criteria, the closer you are to being on equal ground quality wise (minus the fun switch) with a true military weapon.  By the same token, there is some sort of MINIMUM standard, and there are some manufacturers that exceed the standard in some areas.  Exceeding the standard would make a weapon that is superior to it's military counterpart, but not meeting the MINIMUM standard would make a weapon that is inferior to a military weapon and and also to all civilian competitors that do meet or exceed the standard.

Where do the RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster and the likes carbines belong?  What purpose do they serve?  Well, with the likes of Spike's and PSA available, they belong solidly in the sub $500 price range.  Where they can effectively hit their target market of entry level AR-15 buyers or budget buyers that want to see what the platform has to offer and only intend on shooting a couple hundred rounds a year.

There is no justification on the face of the Earth to buy an RRA, DPMS or Bushmaster at the prices being charged for most of them, when you can get a superior carbine on the high end, in the form of Colt (~$1050) or a DDM4V3 (or other version ~$1150),  or on the low end in the form of a Spike's ST-LE(~$750) or PSA carbine (<$600).

Bottom line, in today's market, with the many quality choices available at very reasonable pricing, there is no justification to buy a substandard AR-15 patterned carbine, no matter what your budget is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I like mine, I have a 1/2 dozen AR's of all makes and I find myself grabbing the DPMS the most, when I'm in the semi-auto mood.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top