BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/30/2011 4:52:36 PM EDT
So I know most people out there are not very fond of DPMS and while I am not saying they are the best rifle out there mine has 10,920 rounds through here with 0 failures. Eaten everything I have put through her. Also made it through a 3 day class with no issues. While its not my only rifle by any means I am rather proud how well its held up. My next one is gonna be a noveske or a double star SBR.

*edit* removed the grouping cause haters gotta hate :)

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Congrats.

And in.

Unless theres some kind of joke Im missing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My DPMS runs great as well.

Nice setup, OP.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So, .3 MOA standing unsupported?

Ok, sure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My DPMS runs great as well.

Nice setup, OP.

Nothing wrong with DPMS, They have plenty of good contracts.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So I know most people out there are not very fond of DPMS and while I am not saying they are the best rifle out there mine has 10,920 rounds through here with 0 failures. Eaten everything I have put through her, and the rifle is dead nuts accurate. shooting 1- 1 1/2 inch groups at 300 yrd targets standing unsupported.

That one line makes everything you say 100% B.S.

ETA: Just read your edit concerning this matter. 1-1 1/2" at 25 yards, ok I can believe that, thats about right for a DPMS. But deadnuts accurate? Son that 25 yd group will open up to not even on paper at 100 yds. So yea, it's  DPMS.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
yup
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I know most people out there are not very fond of DPMS and while I am not saying they are the best rifle out there mine has 10,920 rounds through here with 0 failures. Eaten everything I have put through her, and the rifle is dead nuts accurate. shooting 1- 1 1/2 inch groups at 300 yrd targets standing unsupported. Also made it through a 3 day class with no issues. While its not my only rifle by any means I am rather proud how well its held up. My next one is gonna be a noveske or a double star SBR.

*edit* by 300 yard targets I mean the same style target that the Army uses where its actually at 25 yards but looks like a 300yrd target.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/Platypus-0f-death/Guns/photo1-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/Platypus-0f-death/Guns/photo2.jpg

Congrats on the rifle, good maintenance will keep it running.
However 1-1/2" at 25 yards ,means it will be around 18" at 300 yards.

ETA- to change font.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, .3 MOA standing unsupported?

Ok, sure.

Yea i could easily believe the rest.

That accuracy claim seems like a hell of a stretch though to put it politely.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had issue with DPMS, Every AR I have prob has some DPMS in, on or around it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
10k+ rounds? That rifle looks brand new. There isn't even a brass mark on the deflector.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I know most people out there are not very fond of DPMS and while I am not saying they are the best rifle out there mine has 10,920 rounds through here with 0 failures. Eaten everything I have put through her, and the rifle is dead nuts accurate. shooting 1- 1 1/2 inch groups at 300 yrd targets standing unsupported. Also made it through a 3 day class with no issues. While its not my only rifle by any means I am rather proud how well its held up. My next one is gonna be a noveske or a double star SBR.

*edit* by 300 yard targets I mean the same style target that the Army uses where its actually at 25 yards but looks like a 300yrd target.

ETA- to change font.

Your assuming that the group will open at a linear rate. In the real would a 1hole at 25 yards would be 1-1.5" at 100. I dare wager that if it's 1-1.5" at 25 then its not even on paper at 100 and wouldn't hit a barn at 300.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
10k+ rounds? That rifle looks brand new. There isn't even a brass mark on the deflector.

First thing I look for in pictures about stuff like this.  That rifle hasn't seen 500 rounds, much less 10k
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA- to change font.
Your assuming that the group will open at a linear rate. In the real would a 1hole at 25 yards would be 1-1.5" at 100. I dare wager that if it's 1-1.5" at 25 then its not even on paper at 100 and wouldn't hit a barn at 300.

Giving it the best case scenario.
Either way, papering it at 300 would be the true test, 25 doesn't say too much for accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing I look for in pictures about stuff like this. That rifle hasn't seen 500 rounds, much less 10k

Plus the fact that you wont get to 10k+ rounds without a mag shitting the bed, a primer coming out of a pocket or just something happening.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I look for in pictures about stuff like this.  That rifle hasn't seen 500 rounds, much less 10k

While normally I would agree with this I have a rifle with around 2k through it that hardly has a mark on the brass deflector while another rifle I have with about 250 rounds fired has a deflector which is damn near golden.

I do shoot a lot of steel through the first one which may be the difference but I'm not sure.  That being said I'm thinking the OP either covers his deflector with something or that 10k number is a little off...
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I know most people out there are not very fond of DPMS and while I am not saying they are the best rifle out there mine has 10,920 rounds through here with 0 failures. Eaten everything I have put through her. Also made it through a 3 day class with no issues. While its not my only rifle by any means I am rather proud how well its held up. My next one is gonna be a noveske or a double star SBR.

no dude...haters gotta hate liars.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't even group that good with my Centurion Arms old school midweight middy while using a bipod. FTW!!!!! I'm buying a DPMS!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]

I dont have anything against them i always say get the best of what you can afford and if it runs great , Perfect. Looks nice. Looks to new for 10K but maybe. I cant say its not in my hands
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Interesting... very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

LOL, every AR is capable of shooting 1.5 inches at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Different rifles have different ejection patterns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not only does it not look like it's had 10k + rounds, it sure doesn't look like it's been through a carbine class. the guy already told his BS about his accuracy, so it's safe to say he's lying about everything else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not only does it not look like it's had 10k + rounds, it sure doesn't look like it's been through a carbine class. the guy already told his BS about his accuracy, so it's safe to say he's lying about everything else.

I wasn't defending him, nor saying that he's lying, I'm just saying that basing his round count of off brass deflector marks can be misleading, considering the fact that some rifles' ejected brass never even touch the deflector.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't defending him, nor saying that he's lying, I'm just saying that basing his round count of off brass deflector marks can be misleading, considering the fact that some rifles' ejected brass never even touch the deflector.

very true...my M&P doesn't have a ding on it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
My DPMS had around 2-3k through it before I painted it. But I have to say I don't really recall it having any wear on the brass deflector. In general DPMS rifles tend to have really nice finishes on them, for what I've seen at least.

I don't use it for much other then coyote hunting but have quite happy with it.

Use a Spike's now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I always liked the Panther logo on the DPMS lowers. Bought more than a few over the years. Never had a problem. I had 3 pre-ban DPMS cast lowers and all were out of spec and uppers had to be filed to fit. To be fair...IIRC they were just EA lowers relabeled. As for their other stuff...good for cheap fun, but it would not be my first choice. Not sure if I believe the round count...looks more like a safe queen.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, if you are telling the truth do us a favor. Show is some pictures of the bolt and the inside of the upper receiver. Please remember a picture of the bolt face.
We love pictures. Especially ones that back up claims.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#31]
ok to reply to some questions. I got the rifle in the mid-end of 06. some of the things that have been replaced as time went on are, the extractor, extractor spring, the front gas block was changed as you can see there is no front sight post but its not a flat top, we changed the gas tube out about 1.5k rounds ago, firing pin retainer pin, and pretty much the whole bolt minus the carrier. Also the rifle goes through a sonic cleaning from a local gunsmith about every 2k-3k rounds to help get carbon build up off as well as anything I cant get to with my stuff at home. I also changed out the trigger about 3k rounds ago with a single stage. I am probably forgetting some other small stuff here and there.  

As for my grouping comment that people seem to love I was shooting 3 rounds within less than 2 inches of each other standing and unsupported at a 300 yard target from 25 yards away. all 3 holes where on the silhouette. To me thats not the worst shooting I have ever done. The target in question looks like:

making it the top right hand target.

*Edit*
heres a pic of the bolt I was asked to put up. It has about 2.5-3k on it. I switched stuff around as things wore out, or as I found better parts I could afford for the project, and also because I wanted to be able to shoot .223 as well as 5.56 through it. And before doing that I was advised to change out some stuff, or risk it blowing up in my face.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm no hater, but my rifle has more wear than that from taking it out of the safe for photos once a month.

Just saying

Edit, got a macro setting on that camera, and slightly better lighting on the bolt would be good too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I just can't believe any AR having zero failures in 1/10th of those rounds
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]
0 failures, but all kinds of shit has been replaced? Convieniently the bolt has been replaced.... and so on.... but ZERO failures!
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

congrats, nice rifle and is that a condor plate carrier?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#36]
That's quite a few replaced parts to claim the rifle is 100%.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

As for my grouping comment that people seem to love I was shooting 3 rounds within less than 2 inches of each other standing and unsupported at a 300 yard target from 25 yards away. all 3 holes where on the silhouette. To me thats not the worst shooting I have ever done. The target in question looks like: ...

Shooting a two inch group from 25 yards on a 300 yard reduced silhouette is not the equivalent of shooting 2moa at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]

I'm looking at your deflector, and its not saying 10,000 rounds
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for my grouping comment that people seem to love I was shooting 3 rounds within less than 2 inches of each other standing and unsupported at a 300 yard target from 25 yards away. all 3 holes where on the silhouette. To me thats not the worst shooting I have ever done. The target in question looks like: ...

Shooting a two inch group from 25 yards on a 300 yard reduced silhouette is not the equivalent of shooting 2moa at 300 yards.

^^ Correct - a 2" group at 300 yards would be ~.6 MOA

Shooting at 25 yards is quite different than shooting at 300.  If you are off by the smallest margin, as the distance increases, that spread becomes bigger, and bigger...and bigger.  So what looks like a 1.5" group at 25 yards may be quite larger at further distances.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a DPMS 5.56 Oracle for a MONTH.. I sold the upper.. just cause..(PSA had a sale)  

I was able to do this at 100 yards with a 3MOA red dot.. (with a BAG front rest)

now you running the 1/65 EoTech should be able to get LESS than that..(with a bag)

but shooting only 25m (even at the 300m sized target).. doe NOT IN NO WAY show you will hit a TRUE 300M target.. sorry..

the wind and such will play heck.. (IMHO)..

and shooting unsupported to boot.. sorry not BUYING IT..

I want a VIDEO..

note **

heres the 200 yard with PSA upper from yesterday.. with a BAG front rest and cheap 6x32 scope..

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

ok to reply to some questions. I got the rifle in the mid-end of 06.some of the things that have been replaced as time went on are, the extractor, extractor spring, the front gas block was changed as you can see there is no front sight post but its not a flat top, we changed the gas tube out about 1.5k rounds ago, firing pin retainer pin, and pretty much the whole bolt minus the carrier. Also the rifle goes through a sonic cleaning from a local gunsmith about every 2k-3k rounds to help get carbon build up off as well as anything I cant get to with my stuff at home. I also changed out the trigger about 3k rounds ago with a single stage. I am probably forgetting some other small stuff here and there.

As for my grouping comment that people seem to love I was shooting 3 rounds within less than 2 inches of each other standing and unsupported at a 300 yard target from 25 yards away. all 3 holes where on the silhouette. To me thats not the worst shooting I have ever done. The target in question looks like:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5876/targetzoom0ju.jpg

making it the top right hand target.

*Edit*

heres a pic of the bolt I was asked to put up. It has about 2.5-3k on it. I switched stuff around as things wore out, or as I found better parts I could afford for the project, and also because I wanted to be able to shoot .223 as well as 5.56 through it. And before doing that I was advised to change out some stuff, or risk it blowing up in my face.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/Platypus-0f-death/Guns/photo_1.jpg

Nice flip flop

You had a good troll OP going though, too bad its all bullshit

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Just another DPMS owner trying to justify his P.O.S. I know i've owned 2 very average in every catagory
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#44]
11k and zero failures?!?!?!?  Your so full of crap it isn't even funny.  Any gun from any manufacturer will experience problem with that kind of round count.  Bad ammo, bad mags, worn out parts, etc.  To say there have been zero malfunctions just shows your full of BS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ok to reply to some questions. I got the rifle in the mid-end of 06. some of the things that have been replaced as time went on are, the extractor, extractor spring, the front gas block was changed as you can see there is no front sight post but its not a flat top, we changed the gas tube out about 1.5k rounds ago, firing pin retainer pin, and pretty much the whole bolt minus the carrier. Also the rifle goes through a sonic cleaning from a local gunsmith about every 2k-3k rounds to help get carbon build up off as well as anything I cant get to with my stuff at home. I also changed out the trigger about 3k rounds ago with a single stage. I am probably forgetting some other small stuff here and there.  

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5876/targetzoom0ju.jpg

thats the target the airforce makes us qualify on.  it literally is a joke, i think the lowest ive ever shot on that was a 46/50 and thats wearing a f***ing flak vest, helmet, and full chem gear with a fogged up gas mask for half those rounds.

shooting at a simulated 300 yard target is MUCH different than shooting at 300 yards.  shooting 25 yards at a simulated 300 yard target means you have zero bullet drop to compensate for, your bullet is unaffected by wind, etc...  that fraction of an inch off your aim was means nothing at 25 yards, but increase it to 300 yards and your 10 inches to the left.  your group WILL open up when you start to shoot at 300 yards, its simple physics.  that target is only to simulate the size of a human torso at various ranges, without actually having to put paper up at 300 yards.

and for what its worth to you, ive never hated DPMS rifles, but i wont own one because of the experiences people have posted about their customer service.  and to me, customer service is just as important as the quality of the product you buy from them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Come on, are Dpms AR's really that bad, i don't buy it.There made right here in Minnesota, can't be all that bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Come on, are Dpms AR's really that bad, i don't buy it.There made right here in Minnesota, can't be all that bad.

Vulcan Arms is located in Minnesota too
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Really?  My DD is a few mags from hitting 2k with absolutely zero failures, no cleaning, and no lube since it was first fired.  The only reason I'm doing it is to see just how long it can go without failure.

I'm a firm believer that a decent AR will go a long way without any maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  My DD is a few mags from hitting 2k with absolutely zero failures, no cleaning, and no lube since it was first fired.  The only reason I'm doing it is to see just how long it can go without failure.

I'm a firm believer that a decent AR will go a long way without any maintenance.

+1

My PSA upper is at about 1500 right now with no failures or maintenance, the only thing I do is wet the bolt with fresh oil every now and then.

And to the OP, I'm really glad that you are happy with your rifle but I don't see this thread winning everyone hearts for DPMS

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

My PSA upper is at about 1500 right now with no failures or maintenance, the only thing I do is wet the bolt with fresh oil every now and then.

And to the OP, I'm really glad that you are happy with your rifle but I don't see this thread winning everyone hearts for DPMS

I'm well over 2k on my Spikes with no failures of any kind, other than a mangled round I loaded into a mag without noticing.  Needless to say, that one wouldn't even chamber.  I do, however, clean it after each range trip.  I know this is unneccessary, but what I don't know is when something cataclysmic could happen and I would not be able to clean it for a long time.  I figure I'll go into any sort of SHTF with a well lubed rifle.  

OP - You don't need to try to impress anyone around here.  Just enjoy your rifle.   ....and get some BUIS.  That Eotech WILL fail at some point.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top