Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 7/30/2011 3:52:58 PM
Planning on ordering a 14.5 with A2X(legal 16" OA) upper from Bravo Company in a few days.
Is the cold hammer forged barrel worth the $90 over the standard barrel option? I'm thinking it
is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
ARKAR
NRA Life Member

I can see where you're coming from, 'cause I know where you've been and I can see where you're going 'cause I can see the direction you're headed in. I just don't know where the hell you're at right now.

mathecb
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 4:07:12 PM
[Last Edit: 7/30/2011 4:07:53 PM by mathecb]
I'd save the $90 and put it towards something useful. There is not enough difference, if any at all, to spend $90 extra.
www.twinxblades.com
When you need it, and dont have it, you sing a different tune.
a308garand
M1 Garand Solves Problems Quick
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 4:33:54 PM
If hardcore use- lots of firing, running hot, lots of training,,,,,,,,go for the more expensive barrel.

If not so hardcore, get the less expensive barrel.
"Your times is over! You are gonna die bloody; all you can do is pick where!"
~Sheriff to Butch and Sundance
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 4:38:08 PM
read this.

only reason i got a BFH was because it was in stock and the standard lightweight wasn't.
call Kenny Loggins, cause you're in the Danger Zone
jcrowl
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 5:20:33 PM
I've been more than happy with my BCM standard barrels.
boarklr
Did you see the size of that chicken?
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 6:27:30 PM
You'll never likely see or notice the difference. But this is the case with many of the things we pay extra for. For this upgrade choice, I went with with BFH because I knew that for the $90 I'd appreciate the gun more. So, knowing that I'll never likely realize the difference in quality, it still pleases me that it's hammer forged.

TheMercenary
Missed out on the Koolaid party
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 6:38:51 PM
Originally Posted By mathecb:
I'd save the $90 and put it towards something useful. There is not enough difference, if any at all, to spend $90 extra.

"IF YOU SHOW UP FOR A FAIR FIGHT, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" كافر
Knowledge is power, Ignorance is a Democrat... F**K OBAMA!
MerKWorK
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 6:57:07 PM
Save Money, grab a standard. Thats what I did! There is nothing you are going to do to tell the difference.
ARKAR
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 7:10:59 PM
OK, this is kinda what I wanted to hear. I'm probably gonna go with the standard.
I doubt mine will ever see any hard use. I don't mind spending the extra money, but
only if it was really worth it.

Thanks for the replies!!
ARKAR
NRA Life Member

I can see where you're coming from, 'cause I know where you've been and I can see where you're going 'cause I can see the direction you're headed in. I just don't know where the hell you're at right now.

hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 10:34:34 PM
If you have the money get the BFH
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. .
ARKAR
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2011 10:44:23 PM
Why do some of you guys say to go with the BFH barrel? Any particular reason?
Just wondering.

Thanks!
ARKAR
NRA Life Member

hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:11:27 AM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 12:14:13 AM by hotbiggun42]
I buy the BHF for Longevity or extended barrel life. For a few extra dollars the question is why do some of you guy not go with BFH barrels?

EDIT: from BCM website

This process of manufacturing barrels has been used for European small arms for generations, and it is gaining popularity in the United States because of the increased barrel life and outstanding accuracy of a hammer forged barrel. The BCM BFH™ series of barrels are made right here in the USA! (Just like all the BCM products.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. .
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:18:12 AM

Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
I buy the BHF for Longevity or extended barrel life. For a few extra dollars the question is why do some of you guy not go with BFH barrels?

EDIT: from BCM website

This process of manufacturing barrels has been used for European small arms for generations, and it is gaining popularity in the United States because of the increased barrel life and outstanding accuracy of a hammer forged barrel. The BCM BFH™ series of barrels are made right here in the USA! (Just like all the BCM products.)

how does a hammer forged barrel with the same chrome lining as the standard barrel have a longer life?
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:23:26 AM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 12:24:26 AM by hotbiggun42]
Thicker chromed lined barrels. I belive they are double the thickness of std barrels.
spc71
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:24:37 AM
I actually wanted the standard barrel, I also intend to get a 14.5 carbine in the future simply because I think they look cool and I won't let the fact they are not hammer forged stop me. As a newb lurker I did a lot of research before I bought my middy 16 bcm. Like most everyone else I saw the filthy 14 and what I got from that was the difference between actual combat and civilian competitive shooting, even hard shooting.

A civilian like myself simply will not see the difference. I also found it interesting to see people with 5 or 6 ARs worrying about barrel life, they are either filthy rich or kidding themselves. The answer is to buy what you would have fun shooting, anything else and you've just wasted your money.
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:38:25 AM

Thicker chromed lined barrels. I belive they are double the thickness of std barrels.

The throat of the barrel is what is going to wear out first. You aren't going to shoot the rifling out of a non beltfed weapon. Extra thick chrome lining and hammer forged barrels are an unneeded expense. In fact, the main advantage of hammer forging is speed and consistency of production.
PredatorWhacker
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:41:00 AM
I used BCM BFH barrels on a couple builds where I had the extra money to spend. Only difference I've noticed is in my head to be honest. I'll never see the extra durability that the BFH offers probably. All the standard rifles i have perform identically. But being I'm switching between many rifles, only a couple see any hard use. Those happen to be standard uppers and are taking anything I've thrown at them so far. Unless you are using it on a full auto, I doubt you will notice a difference.
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:53:37 AM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 1:00:11 AM by hotbiggun42]
Hammer Forging - Hammer forged barrels are really very good barrels... a hard steel die, with the reverse rifling pattern in it, is placed in the drilled and reamed bore, then a machine that is best described as *big and noisey* literally hammers the barrel's outside surface, forcing the metal into the rifling pattern of the die.

Button Rifling - One of the most common methods, button rifling uses a hardened steel "button" that has the inverse rifling pattern in it... this button is pushed or pulled through the barrel blank and the rifling is essentially "ironed" into the insode of the bore. Button rifling is quick and can make a very nice finish –– the most noted pitfall to the method is that the button creates radial stress in the blank... the barrel must be properly stressed relieved before it is turned down, or the diameter of the bore can expand slightly.

Quoted from another Forum. I am not sure I can mention it here.

Personally I believe if BCM and Noveske claim a certain process makes a better barrel I tend to trust these claims these people are the experts. Whether you believe it is a marketing gimmick or truth it is up to you to decide.
bud7h7
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 3:39:46 AM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 3:47:55 AM by bud7h7]
Originally Posted By ARKAR:
OK, this is kinda what I wanted to hear. I'm probably gonna go with the standard.
I doubt mine will ever see any hard use. I don't mind spending the extra money, but

Thanks for the replies!!
ARKAR

Why would you need a CHF barrel for hard use? I'd say combat is pretty hard use, no CHF needed there. I think people mistake "standard" as somehow lesser quality. "Standard" doesn't refer to the quality, buttoned is simply the most widely used method in the USA, hence the term "standard" used by dealers. In Europe they probably refer to CHF as "standard" because that's by far the most common method used there.
You damn sure wouldn't need CHF for a hard use weapon.

PredatorWhacker
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:10:51 AM
Originally Posted By bud7h7:
Originally Posted By ARKAR:

Thanks for the replies!!
ARKAR

Why would you need a CHF barrel for hard use? I'd say combat is pretty hard use, no CHF needed there. I think people mistake "standard" as somehow lesser quality. "Standard" doesn't refer to the quality, buttoned is simply the most widely used method in the USA, hence the term "standard" used by dealers. In Europe they probably refer to CHF as "standard" because that's by far the most common method used there.
You damn sure wouldn't need CHF for a hard use weapon.

Quote from Bravo Co. barrel description:

Cold Hammer Forged Barrels

"This process of manufacturing barrels has been used for European small arms for generations, and it is gaining popularity in the United States because of the increased barrel life and outstanding accuracy of a hammer forged barrel. The BCM BFH™ series of barrels are made right here in the USA!  (Just like all the BCM products.)"

You're right, a person does not need a BFH barrel for hard use and most would agree that standard barrels are not of lesser quality but theoretically they (BFH barrels) are supposed to last longer and be more durable than the barrels listed as "standard". So if ones definition of "hard use" is high round count then technically the BFH barrels should be better suited for that application.
gee223
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 8:24:37 AM
Are the BFH barrels really more accurate?
mathecb
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 8:51:35 AM
Even BCM uses marketing. CHF barrels are nothing new. They are just another efficient way of producing rifled barrels. There is no measureable advantage to owning one over the other (other than ooo's and aahhh's in the picture threads).
www.twinxblades.com
When you need it, and dont have it, you sing a different tune.
warpig8654
Triple Threat
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 9:29:29 AM
Most shooters will not be able to discern the difference between the two barrel types. A standard barrel will serve you well for many years if not during your lifetime.
"You can take the man out of the Marine Corps but you can never take the Marine Corps out of the man"

"If I wanted your opinion I would give it to you" - Gunny

Jesus is my lord & savior.
azoutdoorsman
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 10:01:25 AM

This is false. Hammer forging has ZERO to do with chroming.

While a hammer forged barrel MIGHT have a longer life than a button rifled barrel, in semi-auto fire, the difference will be difficult to see. Most Semi-auto barrels will last upwards of 20k rounds, and most likely longer and still retain 3-5MOA, which is more than enough for a defensive or hobby weapon.

If the Hammer forged is in stock, and you have the money, there isn't a reason not to get it. However, if the same model is in stock with button rifling, I wouldn't bother, personally.
There is way too much speculation going on lately. Shoot your rifle first. THEN, if there are problems call the manufacturer.
azoutdoorsman
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 10:02:48 AM

Originally Posted By spc71:
I actually wanted the standard barrel, I also intend to get a 14.5 carbine in the future simply because I think they look cool and I won't let the fact they are not hammer forged stop me. As a newb lurker I did a lot of research before I bought my middy 16 bcm. Like most everyone else I saw the filthy 14 and what I got from that was the difference between actual combat and civilian competitive shooting, even hard shooting.

A civilian like myself simply will not see the difference. I also found it interesting to see people with 5 or 6 ARs worrying about barrel life, they are either filthy rich or kidding themselves. The answer is to buy what you would have fun shooting, anything else and you've just wasted your money.

There is way too much speculation going on lately. Shoot your rifle first. THEN, if there are problems call the manufacturer.
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2011 10:07:29 AM
[Last Edit: 7/31/2011 10:10:58 AM by hotbiggun42]
Hammer Forging - Hammer forged barrels are really very good barrels... a hard steel die, with the reverse rifling pattern in it, is placed in the drilled and reamed bore, then a machine that is best described as *big and noisey* literally hammers the barrel's outside surface, forcing the metal into the rifling pattern of the die.

Button Rifling - One of the most common methods, button rifling uses a hardened steel "button" that has the inverse rifling pattern in it... this button is pushed or pulled through the barrel blank and the rifling is essentially "ironed" into the insode of the bore. Button rifling is quick and can make a very nice finish –– the most noted pitfall to the method is that the button creates radial stress in the blank... the barrel must be properly stressed relieved before it is turned down, or the diameter of the bore can expand slightly.

Quoted from another Forum. I am not sure I can mention it here.

Personally I believe if BCM and Noveske claim a certain process makes a better barrel I tend to trust these claims these people are the experts. Whether you believe it is a marketing gimmick or truth it is up to you to decide.

Extra thick chromed lining is a claim BCM makes for their BFH barrels. If you have evidence to the contrary post it up here.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2