Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2011 6:40:26 PM EDT
What do you guys say about new carbon fiber ar 15's? some of the bushy has the lowers in carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
they have been around for a while and it comes down to personal preference. those that know better avoid them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wondering lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Carbon 97S. It functioned fine, but 5.56 can really kick hard in that lightweight body. The stock butt had no padding and a rough textured finish. Everytime I shot the gun, I had a bruise and sometimes a little bleeding on my shoulder. I debated getting an adjustable stock installed, but said the hell with it.
It was unpleasant to shoot, worse than any AK. I sold it after a few months.
Would I own another one? Maybe, if the price was right (meaning really low). But I'd definitely change the stock next time. There comes a point where an AR can be too light.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

they have been around for a while and it comes down to personal preference. those that know better avoid them.

red = BS

I have plenty of aluminum AR's and two "carbon fiber" AR's.

One in 9mm and another in 6.8 SPC. Both 9mm and 6.8 in an AR15 put much more stress on the receivers than 5.56, yet both function exactly the way they would in an aluminum AR and do not have any problems... what exactly are you referring to by saying "those who know better avoid them"?

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

red = BS

One in 9mm and another in 6.8 SPC. Both 9mm and 6.8 in an AR15 put much more stress on the receivers than 5.56, yet both function exactly the way they would in an aluminum AR and do not have any problems... what exactly are you referring to by saying "those who know better avoid them"?

CavArms and Carbon15 aren't exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

CavArms and Carbon15 aren't exactly the same thing.

The OP wasn't very clear on specifying Carbon15... I figured CavArms was being included in the mix... oops.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I say they suck. But I havent been around somebody willing to buy one for years so my opinion is dated. Its just a concept no one seems to be able to get right. Either you see reports of them cracking or they fail to feed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]

[div]

Polymer =/= Carbon Fiber

Anyhoo, CF may be a strong material but only when properly engineered and build.  Aftermarket CF hoods you see on Civics and such for example, are unsafe and tend to shatter instead of crumple.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[div]

Polymer =/= Carbon Fiber

Anyhoo, CF may be a strong material but only when properly engineered and build.  Aftermarket CF hoods you see on Civics and such for example, are unsafe and tend to shatter instead of crumple.

A lot of those "CF" parts are fiberglass with a layup that has a classic 'over under ' CF weave on the top and bottom. Ka-CHING though

Delamination of edges is a serious issue on a lot of CF parts, and if you drill a hole in a CF layup you degrade the strength of the part

In some applications, CF doesn't net you much gain. I worked with CF for years as a job. I laugh when I see electrical gauge pods made from CF and some of the lousy finish work on CF body parts. Ever get a really nice CF splinter? I've had them so bad I had to slice my finger open on the opposite side to get the bugger out by pulling it right through the finger. Cf has its places but in my opinion, fashion ain't one of them. ARs are fairly light to begin with

if you just have to have it, by all means buy it but you won't see me in line at the checkout
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyhoo, CF may be a strong material but only when properly engineered and build.  Aftermarket CF hoods you see on Civics and such for example, are unsafe and tend to shatter instead of crumple.[/div]

Carbon Fiber is always going to break rather than crumple, regardless of who laid it.  That is the nature of CF, nothing to do with build technique.  It is light, and its strengths are in rigidity, not impact resistance, which it why serves certain roles better than others.   It is also important to realize that the stuff these lowers are made of is not the same "carbon fiber" as the stuff that Formula 1 suspensions/monocoques/aero pieces are made from, and it is not even the same process. It is some sort of molded carbon substance, it is not layers of resin impregnated carbon cloth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Vulcan Armament carbon fiber lower receiver:
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/jcrowl/Miscellaneous/290t2k6.jpg

Nothing a little superglue can't fix...
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Polymer =/= Carbon Fiber

I completely agree, except for the fact that the bushmaster carbon15 is in no way "carbon fiber". I had one of their "carbon" uppers and it was nothing more than a plastic. Notice the "carbon fiber" in parenthesis in my original post, I figured the OP was talking about cavarms as being "carbon fiber"...

CavArms are polymer, Glock is polymer, bushmaster is polymer, vulcan is polymer, plum crazy is polymer, and FN is also polymer. Anyways, the choices are endless for plastic firearms, you just have to sort out the good from the bad.

[div]

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That isn't CF either. Look at it, it's obviously just plastic. There's no weave, no threads or fabric visible in the crack. It's brittle plastic that can't even withstand being dropped.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks like a plum crazy lower...JUNK !
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That isn't CF either. Look at it, it's obviously just plastic. There's no weave, no threads or fabric visible in the crack. It's brittle plastic that can't even withstand being dropped.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

2 things you should know about this picture. 1 no its not carbon fiber.  none of these lowers are carbon fiber.  its more like a carbon polymer. 2  that was a vulcan.  what exactly did you expect?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top