AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you mean that the mag catch is hooking on the outside edge of the receiver, then you need to turn it in one more time.

as to the roll pins, they are supposed to be oversided to the hole that they go in. makes for a solid fit when installed.
they wont go in well at all unless you are useing the right punch set or the press that is used at the factory.

Nope, when trying to push it in to release the magazine, something sticks and won't allow the catch to move at all.  If you change the angle that you're hitting the mag catch button from it frees up.  

As for the pins, I use roll pin holders and roll pin punches to install them, they're still tighter than any other LPK I've ever used.

Maybe the machining on your lower was out of spec in the mag release area? I mean there is not a whole lot to bind up I would think a visual inspection would be able to find the problem area (either lpk issue, or lower) then be able to take the corrective action necessary.

Edit: Or... maybe the mag catch is crossthreaded? Steel catch and aluminum button could be easy to do and may give that same problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I didn't take the time to find my good camera.  Photos were taken with my phone.  The gun is a 16" Oracle.  It has cheap NcStar star sights with the front sight post being filed thinner by yours truly.  The mods, if you can call them that are all very minor and all seemed to really make a difference for me.  I have a ProMag butt-pad, YHM Phantom brake/flash hider, JP trigger spring kit, ERGO Sure grip, Magpul forend, Magpul PMAG, Magpul enhanced whatever you call it trigger guard, and a VTAC sling.

I do not claim to be an expert marksmen and I know my limitations, especially with poor eyesight and open sights.  My new scope coming shortly will hopefully rectify this.  But being a pencil-barreled lightweight carbine I feel my results are pretty decent.  All shots on the target were taken from about 60yrds away in the prone position using the magazine as a stabilizer.  The 5 shots to the right was a five shot group taken after a magazine dump.  After I inspected those five I came back and added a click towards the left on the windage knob.  The 3-shots to the left of the first five were the ones I made after the adjustment.  The only ammo I used on this particular day was Lake City M855 62grain.

Target

Gun
Gun 2

Like other posters have mentioned my gas block did work it's way loose after about 300 rds.  I used Ford Motor Company "green" loctite about 400rds ago and haven't had the problem return.  I wish the block was pinned or better yet, clamped,...but since it ain't I got to take what I got for now.  This has been the only fault I have had with this rifle.  Other than that it has been great.  No other failures of any kind.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
No probs with my dpms oracle. Nice lil gun. That being said I realize its not a colt, but its my first civilian AR and it shoots great.  Im sure actually im positive I will own more:). Covinced the wife she "needs" one.   My question boit the gas nlock did it jus become loose?  Mine is still on tight but jus curious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
For those with exposed gas blocks (instead of FSBs), why not just install a front sight base instead?  No more problems, and you have a front sight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Milspec-dimension triggers almost always feel like that when brand new.

Not one of the DD triggers I've used has felt like that.  Still heavy, but no grit.  Every DPMS trigger I've seen has been obvious garbage even before installing it.  

I have no experience with DPMS rifles, but their small parts have been enough to turn me off from them.  Bolt catches that looked like they were made from swiss cheese, magazine catches that were so covered in burrs they wouldn't fit in the lower, triggers that felt like a gravel road, pins that were too tight.  Every DPMS mag catch I've tried sticks as well.  Not every time, but if you hit it at the right angle (which happens to be too easy to do) it sticks, then you have to release it and ensure you are pushing from the correct angle.

this has been my experience also, to the T.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Milspec-dimension triggers almost always feel like that when brand new.

Not one of the DD triggers I've used has felt like that.  Still heavy, but no grit.  Every DPMS trigger I've seen has been obvious garbage even before installing it.  

I have no experience with DPMS rifles, but their small parts have been enough to turn me off from them.  Bolt catches that looked like they were made from swiss cheese, magazine catches that were so covered in burrs they wouldn't fit in the lower, triggers that felt like a gravel road, pins that were too tight.  Every DPMS mag catch I've tried sticks as well.  Not every time, but if you hit it at the right angle (which happens to be too easy to do) it sticks, then you have to release it and ensure you are pushing from the correct angle.

if you mean that the mag catch is hooking on the outside edge of the receiver, then you need to turn it in one more time.

as to the roll pins, they are supposed to be oversided to the hole that they go in. makes for a solid fit when installed.
they wont go in well at all unless you are useing the right punch set or the press that is used at the factory.

i have the proper roll pin punches and the DPMS pins are stupid tight, why do Daniel Defense, Stag/CMT, J&T LPK's work every time and don't have people compalianing about about catches, horrible triggers, out of spec roll pins, etc....it's always the same on every DPMS thread, some people swear by them and the others all have had the same issues. this is on EVERY DPMS thread. i feel like DPMS makes a great starter black rifle, range or truck gun, other than that buy something else. the DPMS rifles i have seen, have worked and ran reliably, but all where factory guns, every person i know that has used their LPK's has had missing parts, poor small parts fitment, HORRIBLE triggers(even after a couple of hundred rounds, thats even of the factory rifles) and roll pin complaints, this is from people that are hobbiest builders and tried to save some cash, to guys that own actual gun shops and assemble MULTIPLE rifle kits. in all fairness DPMS has made things right every single time i have dealt with their LPK issues, so far they have had great CS and people on the phone that are not smart asses like Sig CS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i have the proper roll pin punches and the DPMS pins are stupid tight, why do Daniel Defense, Stag/CMT, J&T LPK's work every time and don't have people compalianing about about catches, horrible triggers, out of spec roll pins, etc....it's always the same on every DPMS thread, some people swear by them and the others all have had the same issues. this is on EVERY DPMS thread. i feel like DPMS makes a great starter black rifle, range or truck gun, other than that buy something else. the DPMS rifles i have seen, have worked and ran reliably, but all where factory guns, every person i know that has used their LPK's has had missing parts, poor small parts fitment, HORRIBLE triggers(even after a couple of hundred rounds, thats even of the factory rifles) and roll pin complaints, this is from people that are hobbiest builders and tried to save some cash, to guys that own actual gun shops and assemble MULTIPLE rifle kits. in all fairness DPMS has made things right every single time i have dealt with their LPK issues, so far they have had great CS and people on the phone that are not smart asses like Sig CS.

what i read there is,
rifles built at the factory are reliable, but people that try to build them them selves arnt up to the task....
the LPK parts are the same parts that the factory rifles are built with.

The stock trigger group is a $30 part, just a solid combat trigger group.  match trigger groups cost anywhere from $120-$300. WHY would you expect a $30 combat trigger group to
be as smooth and crisp as a $120 match trigger group?

i'm sorry that you are used to your roll pins being so loose, I'v put together thousands of DPMS AR's and never had a problem with them. they are not out of spec, they are supposed to be tight.

I have seen plenty of other rifle mfg's with parts issues.  just yesterday i had a POF sling mount break in two from 5.56 recoil with no pressure on it from the sling.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top