Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 906
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

You'd probably be better off just selling the 16" barrel and picking up a 14.5".  There's a certain vendor selling them right now for $280.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
Who's had ADCO chop down a 16" barrel to 14.5?

I gotta say, with how cheap this Colt SOCOM was combined with the fact that I already have a spare B5 stock, TD QD VFG, BCM grip and some other goodies laying around - I'm somewhat pondering turning it into a PR.

The ADCO shop work would be pretty pricey though for them to chop the barrel down, rethread it, and then pin an AAC Blackout.

Just curious what kind of results people have been getting with 16" Colts chopped down to 14.5 by ADCO.

You'd probably be better off just selling the 16" barrel and picking up a 14.5".  There's a certain vendor selling them right now for $280.

Roger that. I know of they who shall not be mentioned...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:

This is the way to do it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BePhreed:

I gotta say, with how cheap this Colt SOCOM was combined with the fact that I already have a spare B5 stock, TD QD VFG, BCM grip and some other goodies laying around - I'm somewhat pondering turning it into a PR.

The ADCO shop work would be pretty pricey though for them to chop the barrel down, rethread it, and then pin an AAC Blackout.

Just curious what kind of results people have been getting with 16" Colts chopped down to 14.5 by ADCO.

This is the way to do it.

For sure.  That was originally my plan, before I abandoned my idea of building one of these.  I picked one of those 14.5s up
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotManJSO] [#3]
Start saving for this future block III optic...

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/sandia-labs-reveals-new-sniper-sight-video?src=SOC&dom=fb

(And not the Leupold behind it)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jray02r1:

Unobtainium for the most part until Daniel Defense finishes their large gov contract.  Bravo Company USA has the FDE FSP model in stock tho.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jray02r1:
Originally Posted By chead:
Any hot tips on finding a RIS II FDE? Out of stock/discontinued everywhere I look.

Unobtainium for the most part until Daniel Defense finishes their large gov contract.  Bravo Company USA has the FDE FSP model in stock tho.

In order to play in this thread I bought a BCM upper w/a DD RIS II FDE off the EE. A case of "gotta pay to play."
  I'm still a ways out but it should be done relatively quick.

Fastfoot
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a Noveske Block II upper in the EE, and it appears to have allen head screws as opposed to the flathead. Has anyone seen these before or were they replaced by the end user?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lowonair] [#6]
Originally Posted By gaston4:
There's a Noveske Block II upper in the EE, and it appears to have allen head screws as opposed to the flathead. Has anyone seen these before or were they replaced by the end user?
View Quote

Seems kinda odd. My noveske built m4a1 rifles have flatheads.

ETA: if they're the same head size as the ones that attach the rail to the upper it may have been done to ease maintenance. Only need one wrench.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like something that might have been smart in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]
How often does a serviceman remove the rail for maintenance?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
For those of you wanting a clone correct RIS II in FDE but cannot find one:

Go ahead and get a black RIS II. Then have your local Cerakoter coat the rail in the color "Chocolate Brown". It's nearly an identical match. I did one yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Dysfunction:

Go ahead and get a black RIS II. Then have your local Cerakoter coat the rail in the color "Chocolate Brown". It's nearly an identical match. I did one yesterday.
View Quote

You wouldn't happen to have one of each for a comparison, would you?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I've been looking for a black one, but I'm just going to paint the fucker when the rifle is complete.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

I've been looking for a black one, but I'm just going to paint the fucker when the rifle is complete.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

I got a black RIS II since Brownells had them on clearance a few months back and that's my plan if I can muster the courage to paint the damn thing. Kind of waiting to decide what optic and stock to use on it before I do that though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: schaz42] [#13]
Thought I'd post a few pics of the 203 mounted on the RIS II, I hadn't seen alot of these around so...enjoy. Oh and sorry for the iphone pics, camera crapped out a while back, I can post better ones when I get a new one if anybody wants :  )

William

With the NT4 attached, this thing is a beast.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#14]
that's pretty fucking awesome
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
View Quote

Can't say it any better than that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaston4] [#16]
View Quote

^^^^ Definitely in for some good pics when you get a chance. What manufacturer is the 40mm?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By schaz42:
Thought I'd post a few pics of the 203 mounted on the RIS II, I hadn't seen alot of these around so...enjoy. Oh and sorry for the iphone pics, camera crapped out a while back, I can post better ones when I get a new one if anybody wants :  )

William

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/schaz42/media/RIS%20II/image.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/schaz42/RIS%20II/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/schaz42/media/RIS%20II/image-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/schaz42/RIS%20II/image-2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/schaz42/media/RIS%20II/image-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/schaz42/RIS%20II/image-3.jpg</a>

With the NT4 attached, this thing is a beast.

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/schaz42/media/RIS%20II/image-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/schaz42/RIS%20II/image-1.jpg</a>

View Quote

I'd hate to see how heavy that thing is with an Elcan, light and Peq-15. Probably weighs a small ton.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
What Big 2-foot long Optic is that in the top of the Page
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
What Big 2-foot long Optic is that in the top of the Page
View Quote

Go to the link underneath the picture.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:17:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#20]
Block 1.5/PR Clone. (I'm not even sure if we're still posting Phased Replacement clones in here anymore. )

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Block 1.5/PR Clone. (I'm not even sure if we're still posting Phased Replacement clones in here anymore. )

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5614/15009839103_5b074cf98e_b.jpg
View Quote

of course we are, especially when its that awesome!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#22]
BCM was that last source for the DD RIS II FDE in my extensive search for one.  They must've had a boat load or it just wasn't selling (in stock for  awhile), either way they are gone.  Luckily I got one couple months ago.  They do have the FDE with the FSP cut and they still have the black ones.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
BCM was that last source for the DD RIS II FDE in my extensive search for one.  They must've had a boat load or it just wasn't selling (in stock for  awhile), either way they are gone.  Luckily I got one couple months ago.  They do have the FDE with the FSP cut and they still have the black ones.
View Quote

Look to be in stock right now.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-BFH-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-ddris2.htm
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-BFH-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-ddris2.htm
View All Quotes

No, I'm talking about the rail only.  Not uppers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

i thi k what he was trying to say was, they were the last source with in stock fde rails being sold by themselves.  They had almost 400 in stock for the longest time, now it seems that they pulled them from the list for individual sales and only offer them with their complete uppers.  Now they only have the black one available or the fde fsp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#26]

^^^^ Definitely in for some good pics when you get a chance. What manufacturer is the 40mm?
View All Quotes

Thanks y'all for the comments, it's an LMT, would've liked to have s Colt, but not for the price of them.

William
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

My Dad's M4gery is a 14.7 w/ a perm A2 done by ADCO.  It's nice.  Real accurate lil carbine.  It is an RRA upper.  HBAR though.  I actually just shot it today.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:55:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#28]

View Quote

What are you wanting to know?  We had them do an M4gery from an RRA upper.  Nice lil carbine.   It's 14.7" w/ a perm A2.  That's how he used to do it a while back.   Well, that's how he did that one.  I think you can do a 14.5 with an extended A2 hider or some other kind that's long enough, or that extra washer deal.  

Sorry about the double post.  I couldn't find it for some reason when I went to insert the picture.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:25:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#29]
If I were to keep this incoming factory Colt SOCOM that gets to my dealer on Thursday, should I go with a Colt 14.5" M4 barrel, or a Colt 14.5" M4 SOCOM barrel?

The way I see it, the barrel won't be free floated (M4 RAS handguard), and a TA33 will be on top, so it will be far from a precision rig.

Is there any reason to pay a couple more bucks for the heavier SOCOM barrel? And no, I won't be running a 203 on it...ever.

$20 bucks is nothing, but in this case, I see the added weight of the SOCOM barrel as a negative overall for the purpose of this rifle.

Anything I'm missing before making my decision? Colt koolaid drinkers, what say you?

ETA - JJREA, I've decided against having the factory barrel chopped. I can likely sell the factory 16" Colt SOCOM barrel for close to what a new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel will run me. No reason to spend the extra cash to have the barrel chopped.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
If I were to keep this incoming factory Colt SOCOM that gets to my dealer on Thursday, should I go with a Colt 14.5" M4 barrel, or a Colt 14.5" M4 SOCOM barrel?

The way I see it, the barrel won't be free floated (M4 RAS handguard), and a TA33 will be on top, so it will be far from a precision rig.

Is there any reason to pay a couple more bucks for the heavier SOCOM barrel? And no, I won't be running a 203 on it...ever.

$20 bucks is nothing, but in this case, I see the added weight of the SOCOM barrel as a negative overall for the purpose of this rifle.

Anything I'm missing before making my decision? Colt koolaid drinkers, what say you?

ETA - JJREA, I've decided against having the factory barrel chopped. I can likely sell the factory 16" Colt SOCOM barrel for close to what a new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel will run me. No reason to spend the extra cash to have the barrel chopped.
View Quote

What are you... A Girl?  Get the SOCOM barrel clone correctness and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Get the SOCOM. With a KAC RAS it shouldn't feel that much heavier imo.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Are KAC 300m BUIS used for this build? I've got a nicely used one to offload.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#33]
Originally Posted By arcfootball17:
View Quote

Not sure if you're asking me, but I likely will be parting with the Matech rear sight the rifle ships with from the factory in favor of a KAC micro 300m rear sight.

...and also parting with the factory stock, grip, trigger, buffer, buffer spring, ambi safety...and of course, the barrel. ETA - and charging handle as well.

If anyone is looking...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Not sure if you're asking me, but I likely will be parting with the Matech rear sight the rifle ships with from the factory in favor of a KAC micro 300m rear sight.

...and also parting with the factory stock, grip, trigger, buffer, buffer spring, ambi safety...and of course, the barrel. ETA - and charging handle as well.

If anyone is looking...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arcfootball17:

If anyone is looking...

PM sent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Just wondering what the most common mounting solution is for the Surefire Scout on the block II variants?  I see a couple of mounts.  The factory Surefire mount, gear sector.  I haven't noticed any others yet.  Unit discretion?  User discretion?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
Just wondering what the most common mounting solution is for the Surefire Scout on the block II variants?  I see a couple of mounts.  The factory Surefire mount, gear sector.  I haven't noticed any others yet.  Unit discretion?  User discretion?
View Quote

Likely user discretion. I've got a Gear Sector on mine and I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
View Quote

The most common mount for a Surefire Scout is... the mount that comes with it.

The "best" mount is the one that best assists that particular user.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Haley Strategic Thorntail will get the light out forward so as to reduce muzzle shadow and is extremely lightweight.    

http://www.haleystrategic.com/store/thorntail.php
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
The PR is mostly finished at this point. Took the SU231a off the Block II for this picture. Now I'm trying to decide which light I want to put on it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#40]
The PR is mostly finished at this point. Took the SU231a off the Block II for this picture. Now I'm trying to decide which light I want to put on it.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/unnamed-1-1.jpg
View Quote

WMX200
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#41]

WMX200
View All Quotes

WMX200

Too spendy for me.  Unless I can find a good deal on one I'll likely end up with a Surefire of some flavor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Too spendy for me.  Unless I can find a good deal on one I'll likely end up with a Surefire of some flavor.
View All Quotes

WMX200

Yep, they're definitely expensive.    I think if youre looking for a dual spectrum light (White/IR) the WMX200 wins hands down compared to the SF offerings and is worth the cash.

If you're solely looking for a white light, SF wins in this category without any contest.  My personal vote would be an M600U.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
View Quote

This is exactly what I've had in mind for awhile.  All I need is a stripped lower and it'll be done!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

That a 16?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#46]
14.5" SOCOM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#47]
It's been a while--which mini red dot is correct for the Elcan/230?  I remembering the following:

The 7 MOA Docter Optic MS02 in black
The 7 MOA Insight/EoTech MRDS in tan
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#48]
Originally Posted By new_ak_fan:
It's been a while--which mini red dot is correct for the Elcan/230?  I remembering the following:

The 7 MOA Docter Optic MS02 in black
The 7 MOA Insight/EoTech MRDS in tan
View Quote

Either one, I'd recommend the hood for the Insight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 906
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top