BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 905
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I put together the upper first, here in CA we have a 10 day wait so I only had the upper while I waited for the lower so I didn't have to worry about any constructive possession issues. Had the lower for about a week before I got the upper back with the flash hider put on for good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By amuroray:

Nt4 flash hider permanently attached with custom spacer by Marvin Pitts to make it legal length.

Before the pinned FH, did you install the gas block first?

Yes. You wouldn't be able to get the gas block on if you installed the muzzle device first.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Another pic behind my new MK12:

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Matty, we got very similar tastes/collections. I've also got an M4gery, an M16A4gery, and a Block II build. No Mk 12 build, though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Matty, we got very similar tastes/collections. I've also got an M4gery, an M16A4gery, and a Block II build. No Mk 12 build, though.

Looks like you have some work to do, i mean money to invest, i mean uhhh...
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've gotta get me a RIS II upper.... just out of principle more than anything else...

And an Increment 2 CQBR- I've got the spare EOTech and ELCAN for 'em... just no uppers.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#7]
A spare Elcan? what a terrible problem to have!

That's the most I've had in my possession at once, sold one to my brother in law, sold one to a guy in New Mexico, and the last one went on my SCAR 17S. Got one in the 3400 SN range coming tomorrow though, hoping it has the information laser etched in the side (like the one on the right in my pic), I find it more aesthetically pleasing then the ones that have the NSN information anodized over.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Those optics are crazy sexy!

Have they corrected the issues pertaining to the first couple generations? I keep hearing the problems have been fixed, but I've never heard of someone who actually has one say they're not experienced the same issues.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A spare Elcan? what a terrible problem to have!

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00482.jpg

That's the most I've had in my possession at once, sold one to my brother in law, sold one to a guy in New Mexico, and the last one went on my SCAR 17S. Got one in the 3400 SN range coming tomorrow though, hoping it has the information laser etched in the side (like the one on the right in my pic), I find it more aesthetically pleasing then the ones that have the NSN information anodized over.

Hey pal, FU!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Those optics are crazy sexy!

Have they corrected the issues pertaining to the first couple generations? I keep hearing the problems have been fixed, but I've never heard of someone who actually has one say they're not experienced the same issues.

I had a generation II which I didn't play around enough with to notice any issues - the only difference besides cosmetic I've noticed between the gen II and III models is the throw levers on the gen III's lock out at 90 degrees where the gen II throw levers could be flipped almost a full 180 degrees. To be honest I haven't even fired it in 1x mode, so I can't say anything for any POI shifts that I've heard about. When I take this build out on Tuesday I'll play around with the flip switch and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I've yet to be able to do a side by side comparison other than just in appearance between the Gen II and Gen III as the Gen III was just returned to me on the slow boat from my last vacation.  Unfortunately, I have yet to get the chance to really wring either in to measure exact POI shift, if any.  

The Gen II has been battle-sighted, but not really dialed in and zeroed.  Nor have I been able to shoot out past 100m with it yet.  Been extremely busy lately, and having just returned to school to seek my masters, extremely broke as well, so it hasn't gotten the kind of workout I'd like to give it.  

The Gen III was zeroed as best as I could manage on Army ranges, i.e. a 25/300m battle-sight.  

Given those conditions, with the Gen III, I had no problems engaging man-sized steel silhouettes out to 600m on 4x.  It also performed well on platoon and squad live-fire ranges with targets at varying distances and flipping between 1x and 4x.  Even though it wasn't dialed in the way I would have liked on a KD range - for my purposes it showed no discrepancies in performance in practical scenarios.  

Note also that the ammunition being used was issued USGI LC M855 62gr., and with a standard USGI burst cam trigger.  For all intents and purposes this more than satisfies the performance requirements that I place on the optic.  

I've no reason to believe that the Gen II will be any different.  However, as I know there are folks that are interested, in the future, I do plan to invest the time and ammunition to do a good comparison and performance testing.

For my purposes, the ELCAN is about the best thing going out there, but understand that all of my operational experience is on the OEF side, with an MOS background in scouting (as well as armor), so this will necessarily color my opinions.  FWIW, none of my rigs are optimized for home defense or any civilian use, I set them up so I don't have to fiddle with issued weapons when I need them, and so I'm familiar with the setup.  For home defense and other civilian applications, I just trust that whatever would work for a service rifle is at least good enough to do the job I need in other situations.  If I were concerned about HD/SHTF only, I might not set my carbines up the same way, or I might place my priorities in a different order.  

The SU230 is *not* a precision optic- it's very literally an attempt to get an Aimpoint and an ACOG into the same package, which, in my opinion, it does well.  

The vast of folks I've worked with and spoken to that get their SU230's paid for by their dear old uncle have been most complimentary about them.  Not everyone's going to like everything, and sometimes folks that want to claim to be experts and/or enthusiasts are tempted to have a dissenting opinion from the status quo just because it sets them apart from "everyone else."  It doesn't matter if everyone else is the guys at the local range or the other guys on your team.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Augee:
I've yet to be able to do a side by side comparison other than just in appearance between the Gen II and Gen III as the Gen III was just returned to me on the slow boat from my last vacation.  Unfortunately, I have yet to get the chance to really wring either in to measure exact POI shift, if any.  

The Gen II has been battle-sighted, but not really dialed in and zeroed.  Nor have I been able to shoot out past 100m with it yet.  Been extremely busy lately, and having just returned to school to seek my masters, extremely broke as well, so it hasn't gotten the kind of workout I'd like to give it.  

The Gen III was zeroed as best as I could manage on Army ranges, i.e. a 25/300m battle-sight.  

Given those conditions, with the Gen III, I had no problems engaging man-sized steel silhouettes out to 600m on 4x.  It also performed well on platoon and squad live-fire ranges with targets at varying distances and flipping between 1x and 4x.  Even though it wasn't dialed in the way I would have liked on a KD range - for my purposes it showed no discrepancies in performance in practical scenarios.  

Note also that the ammunition being used was issued USGI LC M855 62gr., and with a standard USGI burst cam trigger.  For all intents and purposes this more than satisfies the performance requirements that I place on the optic.  

I've no reason to believe that the Gen II will be any different.  However, as I know there are folks that are interested, in the future, I do plan to invest the time and ammunition to do a good comparison and performance testing.

For my purposes, the ELCAN is about the best thing going out there, but understand that all of my operational experience is on the OEF side, with an MOS background in scouting (as well as armor), so this will necessarily color my opinions.  FWIW, none of my rigs are optimized for home defense or any civilian use, I set them up so I don't have to fiddle with issued weapons when I need them, and so I'm familiar with the setup.  For home defense and other civilian applications, I just trust that whatever would work for a service rifle is at least good enough to do the job I need in other situations.  If I were concerned about HD/SHTF only, I might not set my carbines up the same way, or I might place my priorities in a different order.  

The SU230 is *not* a precision optic- it's very literally an attempt to get an Aimpoint and an ACOG into the same package, which, in my opinion, it does well.  

The vast of folks I've worked with and spoken to that get their SU230's paid for by their dear old uncle have been most complimentary about them.  Not everyone's going to like everything, and sometimes folks that want to claim to be experts and/or enthusiasts are tempted to have a dissenting opinion from the status quo just because it sets them apart from "everyone else."  It doesn't matter if everyone else is the guys at the local range or the other guys on your team.  

~Augee

I most frequently like the cut of your jib.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
MOAR

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My Elcan arrived today along with my Vicker's sling, however my 2 year old daughter seems to have gotten a hold of my camera and I've got no idea where it is to take pictures.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a couple more of mine, again still no RIS II, but everything else is the same (short of FA of course)

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new-arguy] [#16]
not a block II gun - NAG
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
Here's mine, I chose the midlength rail over the 20". Colt 6921 un-SBR'd with a pinned FH

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/mgwantob/IMG_0452.jpg?t=1312506866

Seriously?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine, I chose the midlength rail over the 20". Colt 6921 un-SBR'd with a pinned FH

Seriously?

People don't read
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, he's close - if he swapped the rail out for the RIS II he'd be in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, he's close - if he swapped the rail out for the RIS II he'd be in the ballpark.

sure, with a football bat none the less....

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Seriously?

It's not exact, but it is fairly close. I just need the DD rail and the correct front sight. Not much I can do about the FH unless I SBR.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, anyone got pictures of an RIS II FSP being used operationally? I've got a DDM4 and I'm looking to see how cool guys set up their lasers, lights, and optics around the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey, anyone got pictures of an RIS II FSP being used operationally? I've got a DDM4 and I'm looking to see how cool guys set up their lasers, lights, and optics around the FSB.

The only FSP photo I've seen is a few pages back with that dude that's so tier 1 he has no rear sight. It's at a range though.

I've never seen one in country.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Ouch; just spent another $400 on a new BCM 14.5" mid-length barrel, KAC QD flash hider, DD Mk12 gas block, and a Butler Creek #14 flip-cap for my Mk12 Mod1.  And dammit if I didn't forget to buy a bloody mid-length gas tube.

FFFFUUUUU ARFcom, you win AGAIN!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there a specific forward sling mount that is part of this setup?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#26]
The one issued by the Army is the KAC Forend Rail Mount with Push-Button Sling Swivel P/N: 98720 NSN: 1005-01-498-4854
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, off to operation parts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 1AEGW:
Is there a specific forward sling mount that is part of this setup?

Not specifically, but the usual .mil parts are probably correct. The kac rail mounts come to mind.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Ouch; just spent another $400 on a new BCM 14.5" mid-length barrel, KAC QD flash hider, DD Mk12 gas block, and a Butler Creek #14 flip-cap for my Mk12 Mod1.  And dammit if I didn't forget to buy a bloody mid-length gas tube.

Which of those parts is going on the mod 1

Not the 14.5 I hope
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

Not the 14.5 I hope

Not a chance!  Just the #14 flip-cap.  I bought the wrong size months ago and decided to wait until I had to order other parts.  See, I subconsciously KNEW I was gonna build another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Not the 14.5 I hope

Not a chance!  Just the #14 flip-cap.  I bought the wrong size months ago and decided to wait until I had to order other parts.  See, I subconsciously KNEW I was gonna build another rifle.

I thought the leupold mr/t scopes came with butler caps? Mine did...
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:22:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#33]

I thought the leupold mr/t scopes came with butler caps? Mine did...

Well they might, but I ain't running a Leupold; I bought a Nikon M-223 2-8x to save money.  Still haven't gone to the range with it yet but the rest of the rifle is to spec, minus backup irons (next on the list).

Carbine on the right is the one I just parted out to build this Block II.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
This is as close as my clone gets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Look what daddy got in the mail....details details!

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#37]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/19706066.jpg

You guys are killin me! I still have to finish my MK18 Mod1 Mattyvac, where did you get that!!.......Sully
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sully3acr:

You guys are killin me! I still have to finish my MK18 Mod1 Mattyvac, where did you get that!!.......Sully

Model1 sales 10.00 shipped
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sully3acr:

Model1 sales 10.00 shipped

Going over there now. Thanks.....Sully
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:07:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#40]
Anyone know who the winner of the new VBL-III was? I'm hearing mixes of Surefire with their M620V scouts and their M720V RAID or Insight and their WMX200. Thanks

Seems like in the reference pictures many have just a PEQ-15 mounted. Any idea what they do when they have to go in a dark building and require white light

EDIT: ALSO TO ADD

AFSOC currently have small variations to their kits. They use the Surefire FH556-212A  Flash Hider / Suppressor Adapter and instead of having the Insight Tech cut outs for the Tangodown Foregrip, most have Surefire cutouts instead.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Anyone know who the winner of the new VBL-III was? I'm hearing mixes of Surefire with their M620V scouts and their M720V RAID or Insight and their WMX200. Thanks

Seems like in the reference pictures many have just a PEQ-15 mounted. Any idea what they do when they have to go in a dark building and require white light

EDIT: ALSO TO ADD

AFSOC currently have small variations to their kits. They use the Surefire FH556-212A  Flash Hider / Suppressor Adapter and instead of having the Insight Tech cut outs for the Tangodown Foregrip, most have Surefire cutouts instead.

Last I heard, Insight won it. There was a youtube link earlier in the thread that had them at SHOT? this year. Very cool looking lights.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the M3 better, meh.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Better photo of the new tier 1 charging latch:

From this photo:

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#45]
That WMX200 looks sweet. Anyone have any public release info on it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#46]
My very humble contribution

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By detroitchris:
<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/p8060017.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/817/p8060017.jpg</a>

MORE
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/p8060017.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/817/p8060017.jpg</a>

MORE

Agreed!  That is one hot piece right there!  Keep up the good work, gents.  This is my favorite thread going right now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sinlessorrow] [#49]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

MORE

Agreed!  That is one hot piece right there!  Keep up the good work, gents.  This is my favorite thread going right now.

very nice, almost perfect just need a diff flash hider

ETA: is that a M16 lower i see there?
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#50]

very nice, almost perfect just need a diff flash hider

ETA: is that a M16 lower i see there?

It could be correct if he was modeling for the Air Force SOC rifles that use Surefire Flash hiders.
Page / 905
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top