Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2011 2:16:25 PM EDT
Make sure you trim it.

I don't even know why I ever put one in this Colt, it never needed it, it always fit together nice and tight.

I've been trying to figure out what would cause the few oddball jams I've had on this gun over the last 15 years.

Today, when I cleaned it, I finally figured it out (at least I think I have).

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you put one in a tight gun???
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It was 15 years ago, now I'm wondering "what was I thinking?".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I never understood the need or want of an accuwedge.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had one, and if I wanted to ensure a tight fit THAT bad, I'd tap the lower to run a screw against the tab on the upper. Like my MEGA billet lower has.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
They serve their purpose for some of us. To each their own, free county, if you use one & it makes you happy, so be it.

But yeah trimming it would be common sense I think....
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They serve their purpose for some of us.

What is that purpose?

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If I needed a good fit that badly, and I have no idea whatsoever why I would, I'd call Les Bauer and order a "matched set" upper and lower.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I was checking out a brand new Bushy and a brand new M&P today, and it shocked me how sloppy they both were.  Must be this is supposed to fix that?

Funny thing is, both of my Plum Crazy builds were solid as a rock...  Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I just don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I needed a good fit that badly, and I have no idea whatsoever why I would, I'd call Les Bauer and order a "matched set" upper and lower.

if you want a fit that tight, the ar-15 platform isnt for you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was checking out a brand new Bushy and a brand new M&P today, and it shocked me how sloppy they both were.  Must be this is supposed to fix that?

Funny thing is, both of my Plum Crazy builds were solid as a rock...  Go figure.

Rock solid is not exactly a design feature of ARs.  They were designed to be slightly sloppy. Plum crazy? well, lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Plum Crazy lowers are only as solid as charcoal briquettes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plum Crazy lowers are only as solid as charcoal briquettes.

Friend of mine was trying to get me to buy one. I told him to let me run it in a class and if it survived, I'd give him $400 for it. He got really sheepish and backed down all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm on my third with no issues other than the fact that it looks wonky being plastic.  And the fit was tight.  IDK what to say other than that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm on my third with no issues other than the fact that it looks wonky being plastic.  And the fit was tight.  IDK what to say other than that.

Run it hard. Accidently pull the rear pin to clean it without supporting the upper. but not if you wanna keep it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's my .02

I know people have their reasons to say it isn't needed or not recommended but this is just why I justify having it there.

First off, I don't run my gun hard. I just like get on target and get rounds off, and considering most of what I use to get on target (stock and grip), it's better that the top end moves as closely to my adjustment as the bottom half of the gun. If anyone has any reason I shouldn't feel this way about shooting just lemme know

Don't get me wrong though. When I take a carbine class, that sucker aint in there.

Oh and if you're gonna use it, don't just throw it in there. make sure it's snug and doesn't even come close to inhibiting movement of the BCM.
It should be inspected and trusted just like any other piece of equipment installed in your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 15 years ago, now I'm wondering "what was I thinking?".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You were prolly thinking the same thing as everyone else that bought them when they came out "this is the most revolutionary piece of technology to come out for the ar15, and so inexpensive to boot"

My dad put them in all three of his ARs when they came out, he was big into bolt guns and "less wiggle equals more accurate"

He has since ditched them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I put those who run a Accu-wedge in there AR's into a "Special" category....
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is funny, you built TWO plum crazy rifles!

Seriously, I use an oring on the front lug. My receivers fit pretty well as is, but it's such simple thing why not. I do like how they almost feel like one piece now. I tried an accuwedge once, they are crap.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts.

You don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts. Ask BCM they put an O'ring around the extractor spring.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts. Ask BCM they put an O'ring around the extractor spring.

I have those on my rifles as well. I'd consider that an operating part. It's a whole different level than a piece of rubber that lies directly behind the trigger group and below the bolt carrier operating path that does nothing but push the upper and lower apart for essentially cosmetic reasons.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I understood the concept of trying to take out the play but you're also trying to add misalignment now between the BCG and buffer tube.  Never seemed like a great idea.  

My rifles that I wanted to have tight fit have match billet upper lower.  First couple times I had to tap them together just about.

My carbines are pretty tight but I don't care if they wiggle a little.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have those on my rifles as well. I'd consider that an operating part. It's a whole different level than a piece of rubber that lies directly behind the trigger group and below the bolt carrier operating path that does nothing but push the upper and lower apart for essentially cosmetic reasons.

Are you a politician, I understand, Otherwise you a just full of it. To state that it's bad to put rubber near an operating part but it is ok to use rubber on an operating part is a complete oxymoron

ETA: Cosmetically speaking. It would only make sense to close the gap.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a politician, I understand, Otherwise you a just full of it. To state that it's bad to put rubber near an operating part but it is ok to use rubber on an operating part is a complete oxymoron

Ok, the Accu-Wedge provide only cosmetic benefits. To do this, it sits just below (or in the OP's case) IN the path of moving parts essential to the rifles actual function. If it breaks it can get caught in the FCG (attested to above) or interfere with the operating path (evidenced to by the OP)

The extractor O-rings aid in function. If it wears and breaks it sits in that gap. At my old job we shot a ton of rounds, rarely did they wear/break, and when they did they stayed where they were.

If you don't see a difference, I can't help you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

One does absolutely nothing for function.  It's only purpose is to appease the people who treat their guns like barbie dolls and can't stand that rattle when they take them out of the safe to show them to friends or take pictures to put on the Internet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One does absolutely nothing for function.  It's only purpose is to appease the people who treat their guns like barbie dolls and can't stand that rattle when they take them out of the safe to show them to friends or take pictures to put on the Internet.

Hey, that's why I use the o-ring on the front lug of the upper.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]
drifting off topic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top