Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2011 5:29:01 PM EDT
Don't know if this is a dupe, but SIG is producing a SIG AR (NO, not their 516 AR piston) Model is the M400.

It's not listed on their site just yet, but one is already one GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239081447
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I would like to read some first hand reviews.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to see another AR in the market, but I have heard many horror stories aboug Sig's QC in recent years.  Also, that AR in particular is pretty plane jane AR15 that you can get from 100 other manufacturers, so unless someone is just looking for one that says "Sig Sauer" on the side...
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good to see another AR in the market, but I have heard many horror stories aboug Sig's QC in recent years.  Also, that AR in particular is pretty plane jane AR15 that you can get from 100 other manufacturers, so unless someone is just looking for one that says "Sig Sauer" on the side...

Really? For the price, it has extra's that others don't. A 1/7 chrome lined, CHF barrels, AMBI QD sling attachments on the lower, MILSPEC tube, and an AMBI mag release.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish they would have done nitride barrel like on their 556.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Their 516 AR piston barrel is. The video above states, phosphate for the M400, but perhaps' that was in error? Both finishes look the same.....

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? For the price, it has extra's that others don't. A 1/7 chrome lined, CHF barrels, AMBI QD sling attachments on the lower, MILSPEC tube, and an AMBI mag release.

Very nice features, I agree. Barrel contour is a little different, not sure about that.

Overall the rifle looks good to me.

What I don't get is why manufacturers that start out with piston guns (Sig, ADCOR, etc.) are also bringing DI guns out. Doesn't that kind of negate their whole reasoning behind a piston gun? I understand the marketing behind it, but if pistons are so frigging superior to DI (), why bother with DI

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their 516 AR piston barrel is. The video above states, phosphate for the M400, but perhaps' that was in error? Both finishes look the same.....

The video said chrome lined chamber and bore.  The 556 has nitride treated bore and chamber, which is one of the biggest selling points of the 556.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks as if there simply covering the bases they missed with the 516
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video said chrome lined chamber and bore.  The 556 has nitride treated bore and chamber, which is one of the biggest selling points of the 556.

While IT IS TRUE that the 556 has a barrel that is nitride treated, a barrel with a chrome lined bore and chamber can also be nitride treated, just like SIG's 516 piston AR. The guy states that the M400 has a chrome lined chamber and bore (Like the SIG 516 nitride treated barrel) but states that it's phostphate. However, SIG finishes on both the M400 barrel, and their nitride treated, chrome chamber and bore SIG 516 also has the same appearance. Hence, I'm questioning whether or not the guy is correct. Perhaps' it's like their 516 AR piston barrel? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also, the barrel contour is for SIG's own grenade launcher .

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting, and good price too. I surely won't be buying one but it looks to be a decent rifle. The ambi QD lower is pretty cool!
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While IT IS TRUE that the 556 has a barrel that is nitride treated, a barrel with a chrome lined bore and chamber can also be nitride treated, just like SIG's 516 piston AR. The guy states that the M400 has a chrome lined chamber and bore (Like the SIG 516 nitride treated barrel) but states that it's phostphate. However, SIG finishes on both the M400 barrel, and their nitride treated, chrome chamber and bore SIG 516 also has the same appearance. Hence, I'm questioning whether or not the guy is correct. Perhaps' it's like their 516 AR piston barrel? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also, the barrel contour is for SIG's own grenade launcher .

I really hope so because I would love a nitride treated barrel for my AR, plus this is fully ambi it looks like.  

Dear Sig,

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really hope so because I would love a nitride treated barrel for my AR, plus this is fully ambi it looks like.  

There are lots of nitrided barrels on the market, that doesn't look like one to me.  Nitride leaves a semi gloss jet black color finish, that looks like regular old parkerizing.

I'd never contemplated the idea that it would be possible to make a barrel profile even more ludicrous than the M4, but Sig has managed to do it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Very strange barrel contour past the FSB, looks like a pincil crossed with the tip of an M4 cut

The Nitride is really cool, but that is the only portion of the rifle I would be interested in since I have not purchased a complete AR in 5 years.  DIY is the way to go
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice features, I agree. Barrel contour is a little different, not sure about that.

Overall the rifle looks good to me.

What I don't get is why manufacturers that start out with piston guns (Sig, ADCOR, etc.) are also bringing DI guns out. Doesn't that kind of negate their whole reasoning behind a piston gun? I understand the marketing behind it, but if pistons are so frigging superior to DI (), why bother with DI

Well, the obvious answer is that not everyone agrees that piston driven is better than DI, and DI guns tend to be several hundred dollars cheaper.  So, its all about marketing.  Why not offer a traditional DI AR?  There is a market for it.  I have, and love, a SIG 556, but lets face it, one buys a 556 because its not an AR.  I've never seen a 516 in person, but the modified piston driven AR platforms don't interest me that much.  I expect SIG is simply covering all its bases.  Sounds like a lot of features for the money, hope the QC is there on these as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are lots of nitrided barrels on the market, that doesn't look like one to me.  Nitride leaves a semi gloss jet black color finish, that looks like regular old parkerizing.

I'd never contemplated the idea that it would be possible to make a barrel profile even more ludicrous than the M4, but Sig has managed to do it.

Negative. It can either be black oxide or parkerizing in the nitride process. Glock first used the park type which wasn't well received, than used a parkerized base with black oxide. On later guns, circa about 1992 on up, Glock opted for just just the black oxide. It all depends on how the manufacture want's to finish the nitrided part. Sig chose the parkerizing for their 516 nitride treated AR piston barrel.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder why the listed weight is a pound more than a 6920?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
All this for $900 delivered from a reputable online dealer?

I think that this is an AWESOME deal, and I am not particularly fond of Sig.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Is this the bolt design that is causing them to be sued by LWRC ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this the bolt design that is causing them to be sued by LWRC ?

This rifle is a DI gun.

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All this for $900 delivered from a reputable online dealer?

I think that this is an AWESOME deal, and I am not particularly fond of Sig.

Yup. I saw them doing some testing on this the last few times I was there. Didn't know what it was. For $900, that's a great deal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top