Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2011 7:54:11 PM EDT
Looking for a good bipod with a quick detach. Is a bipod a bipod or what features should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
i have an Atlas with the QD... it is pretty sick.  Pricey though... i got a good deal on it, but even then.... pricey.  But VERY nice.

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm very happy with my Harris 1A2 BRM and ARMS mount. Whatever you do, just get a 6-9" model. IF you get something longer, you will most likely find it unusable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i have an Atlas with the QD... it is pretty sick.  Pricey though... i got a good deal on it, but even then.... pricey.  But VERY nice.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/dnbsoulr/fixeds2.jpg

The Atlas bipods are really hard to find! I have been looking for one for about 5months.

Link Posted: 5/8/2011 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Harris with ARMS quick release.  Get them from our supporting vendor, PrimaryArms.   6-9" is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a grip pod in a trade, the LE version with plastic legs and I am really happy with it.  I am not varmint hunter, long range shooter, or precision shooter but for GP range, class, competition stuff it is pretty neat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Gripod
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#9]

First post FTW!
Seriously, for the money this is a great set up. I tried a lot of them before I found the Harris with the built in LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
After stumbling upon a GG&G bipod while doing a search on ebay I bought one. It was about $170, but it comes with a slick mount that clamps onto 1913 rail, it swivels and it is very solid. Well worth the money in my book.

Quoted:
GG&G

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Which one is preferred?   I was expecting to see one or two models/options but this page list a lot.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
There seem to be a lot of recommendations but what makes one diff from another? Key benefits?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GG&G

+1...recently aquired one of these and was impressed.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have owned both the LaRue/Harris combo and the Atlas.  

In my opinion, the Atlas is the one to get.  It is less bulky, has the ability to pan right and left, and the legs and move forward or backward, and lock at 45 or 90 degrees.  Don't get me wrong, the Harris/LaRue combo is nice, but the Atlas is nicer.

Also, you can buy an Atlas that will use the LaRue LT171 mount, if you really want a quick detach, and don't like the ADM mount offered with the Atlas.

Pics:

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There seem to be a lot of recommendations but what makes one diff from another? Key benefits?

My recommendation for the Grip Pod LE was based on two things.  1) Since the title is Newb question on bipods, I assume the op is either new to ARs or new to bi-pods.  The Grip Pod is versatile in that you can go from moving around to a prone position just pushing the button.  The OP can see if the bipod is useful to him.  2) The LE version is light weight yet pretty strong and a great piece of gear.  If he does not like or wants something else, he can re-sell it on the EE no problem.  Personally, I am not a precision rifle shooter, so this is about all the bipod I have a need for at the moment.  The GP with the EOTech is a good combination, I have this on a 16" mid-length with a VLTOR A5 / EMOD stock.  I am guessing I am good out to about 300 yards.

I do wish the Grippod LE had some grippier feet.  I am thinking of using a turn of skate board tape or baseball around the feet.

FWIW Harris has been THE name in bi-pods and synonymous with precision rifles for as long as I can remember.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The Atlas 8th model & The BOBRO Gen 3 are the two best bipods on the face of the planet.
Good luck finding either one in stock.

Plan-B would be a Harris BRM-S and LaRue Tactical LT130 QD Mount.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Order the ATLAS directly from the company, they advertise a 6-10 week wait but well worth the time and the money

Accu-Shot
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Another +1 to the Atlas, it is hands down the best bipod in my opinion.  Bobro has some features that are appealing to me on an AR platform, but I still much prefer the Atlas.  It blows harris out of the water and only a couple other top end bipods are even competition for it (ie rock creek)

That said, a Harris will serve most anyone just fine.  It would serve me just fine, but I had the extra cash and really enjoy shooting off a bipod, especially the Atlas where I can load it and have instant follow up shots –– so I splurged and bought the Atlas.  I am very glad I did.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I have both Harris and Atlas bi-pods, both brands well get it done but the Atlas is superior in all regards.  Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Same rifle with Harris

There are many choices
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
some great looking rifles here.....

first off, I'd ask what is the intended use of the rifle (bench, work, hunting, overseas haj activity)
secondly, I'd ask what is your budget
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#23]

I had a similar designed model from CAA (I think it was them). What ever the mechanism is that held the legs on gave up the ghost after a few range trips, I would not recommend this type.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top